Is this game for me?

MrHoot

If I explain my situation, maybe some of you could help me decide whether I should get this game. I have loved online games since Ultima Online, so I have a long history of gaming. I am not good at PvP and this may limit my game choices and/or game enjoyment.  I don't have quick reactions as I am an older gamer (turning 70 this year).  WIll there be enough to keep me occupied and  enjoying the game for a good while?  Finances are limited because I am a retiree.  I understand that I am the only one that can make the final choice and am only seeking feedback and info.

Thanks in advance for anything you can give me regarding Dual Universe.

Cheers MrHoot

Edited by MrHoot
Correct Spelling

If you like building things, you could be occupied to no end just sitting in the safe zones and building and gathering materials you need to build with. You could join an org in a non-pvp role and do many things like resource gathering and support and logistics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you guys elaborate a little more on the PvP?

If you go outside the "safe zones" is PvP mandatory like in UO or EVE?  or can you opt-out?

Or is it more like Warhammer Online where PvP was in specific faction-war areas and you had to enter the conflict zone intentionally?

If you don't want PvP, will you not have access to most of the exploration and miss out on big parts of the economic aspects of the game?

edit: nevermind, I found the answer here:  https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/PvP_Rules and some more detail here:  

If anyone else is looking for the same information, there it is ?

Edited by luke
found the answer.. adding links to it..

On 2/7/2020 at 12:13 PM, Haunty said:

If you like building things, you could be occupied to no end just sitting in the safe zones and building and gathering materials you need to build with. You could join an org in a non-pvp role and do many things like resource gathering and support and logistics.

Although all the materials will be gone from Alioth soon after the game starts... So they will likely have to travel or trade to get said materials.

This game is designed to foster group play. If you are a creative type and enjoy working with other people as part of a group, this game will appeal to you.

However, there is no way to "opt out" from PVP, so you will have to stick within the save zones, wherever they might be and rely on your org  for travel into deep space.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:56 PM, MrHoot said:

If I explain my situation, maybe some of you could help me decide whether I should get this game. I have loved online games since Ultima Online, so I have a long history of gaming. I am not good at PvP and this may limit my game choices and/or game enjoyment.  I don't have quick reactions as I am an older gamer (turning 70 this year).  WIll there be enough to keep me occupied and  enjoying the game for a good while?  Finances are limited because I am a retiree.  I understand that I am the only one that can make the final choice and am only seeking feedback and info.

Thanks in advance for anything you can give me regarding Dual Universe.

Cheers MrHoot

Well, there are PvP Fans and there are none.

I love PvP but only and just in pure PvP games. (not sure it is allowed to name the games here, so I just avoid it for now).

As long PvE and PvP mixes it comes mostly to harrasment, and griefing. Player environment gets toxic and thats mostly the moment I cancel subscriptions, or uninstall the client when I am forced to PvP for example in grinding zones. As long PvP and PvE do not intersect (for example pvp players have their own zone, server, planets) and I never have the need to go there, all is fine.

Else when I want griefing, I go to work and at least get payed for it. In my spare time I want to relax while playing and not want to be bothered. In this way I mostly find a "home" in the game as explorer, trader, builder and I usually stay for years to come supporting the game.

So we shall see what way it goes and until then I enjoy and also sponsor the game at the current state.