What does it mean to "win" in a game like DU?

JayleBreak

If I could create measurements of winning I would do this:

Person with most amount of Quanta

Person with most amount of Kills

Person with most infrastructure

Person with most Territories owned

Most active players in an organization

Person with most reputation

Group with most amount of Quanta

Group with most amount of Kills

Group with most infrastructure

Group with most Territories owned

Person/Group with most artifacts found

I would even create more holistic measurement for players who just flat out want to help other members or create content for the community.

32 minutes ago, Nanoman said:

Okay but what about everyone else? ?

They can DU DU however they want to DU, DU. You know?

Kinda like my original post in here... They win by however they want to play the game and however they define their winning as. Just as I DU DU and you'll DU DU.

28 minutes ago, Comrademoco said:

They win by however they want to play the game and however they define their winning as.

Except they won't... because it's all in their heads.

2 hours ago, Comrademoco said:

But Nanoman, it's all about semantics. IMO ?

Yes of course it's all semantics. Because it doesn't exist.

BUT! .... you DU you, man :D someone has to.

Finite vs. infinite games

Carse summarizes his argument, "There are at least two kinds of games: finite and infinite. A finite game is played for the purpose of winning, an infinite game for the purpose of continuing the play. Finite games are those instrumental activities - from sports to politics to wars - in which the participants obey rules, recognize boundaries and announce winners and losers. The infinite game - there is only one - includes any authentic interaction, from touching to culture, that changes rules, plays with boundaries and exists solely for the purpose of continuing the game. A finite player seeks power; the infinite one displays self-sufficient strength. Finite games are theatrical, necessitating an audience; infinite ones are dramatic, involving participants..."[2][3][4]

Theatrical vs. Dramatic

Carse continues these conceptualizations across all major spheres of human affairs. He extends his themes broadly over several intellectual arenas that are largely otherwise disparate disciplines. He describes human pursuits as either dramatic (enacted in the present) or theatrical (performed according to a script of some kind). This distinction hinges on an agent's decision to engage in one state of affairs or another. If motherhood is a requirement and a duty, there are rules to be obeyed and goals to be achieved. This is motherhood as theatrical role. If motherhood is a choice and a process, it becomes a living drama. Carse spans objective and subjective realms and bridges many gaps among different scholarly traditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_and_Infinite_Games

Personally speaking, winning is the ability to enjoy myself regardless of the outcome.

I'll give an example...

Couple of sessions ago, i volunteered to drop some folks on a nearby planet.

I'm not over-reacting  when i say that anything that could go wrong - went wrong.

Had one poor guy lose his speeder, ship being too heavy and crashing like a million times and to top it all off, a passenger somehow ejected out in space.

Yet regardless of how much suffering we had to go through,  it was a one of a time experience.

I fondly remember the motivational chants when trying to break off the atmosphere, enjoyed the view from space and chatted together for 3 hours about random stuff - everyone had fun

Hey folks first post here, There's really no one way to win in a game like this.  Imo you winning is more of a completion of a personal goal or expectation you set out to achieve while playing.  It's different for everyone.  One player may find winning to be running a large successful faction, while another afew friends to hang out with and explore space with in the evenings, another may want to get a RP group or faction established in the game while someone else wants the most kills on the shard.  It's really just up to what motivates you to come back and play and if you have a good time well that's winning.

On 2/2/2020 at 8:30 PM, Armedwithwings said:

Personally speaking, winning is the ability to enjoy myself regardless of the outcome.

I'll give an example...

Couple of sessions ago, i volunteered to drop some folks on a nearby planet.

I'm not over-reacting  when i say that anything that could go wrong - went wrong.

Had one poor guy lose his speeder, ship being too heavy and crashing like a million times and to top it all off, a passenger somehow ejected out in space.

Yet regardless of how much suffering we had to go through,  it was a one of a time experience.

I fondly remember the motivational chants when trying to break off the atmosphere, enjoyed the view from space and chatted together for 3 hours about random stuff - everyone had fun

In that case for you Losing = Winning !

• 3 weeks later...

The first person building a popcorn stand that actually sells popcorn wins.....

For me there are no winners in DU, just like in Real life, how do you win real life? You dont.

the best thing you can do is achieve your goals, have fun and be happy. but still if you achieved all of that you did not win, your just a happy little critter :)

The only 2 living entities i know who win at life are my cats............. So in that perspective, if you can play DU and live ingame like a Cat that would mean you won.

My goals are simple: have fun, have more fun, and in the end have some fun.

I really don't see the traditional verbal sense of the word "to win" being appropriate in a game like this. Still, the newer sense of the word, as in, "full of win!" Might be meaningful.

At the end of the day, one could only really "win" at competitive aspects of the game or overcoming challenges posed: Successful org raids, successful construction of base of operations or a new mega-freighter etc...

However, I can fully see losing being a real thing... Losing your ships in PvP, losing time by having someone steal all your stuff and having to rebuild/craft/mine,  losing access to your org, losing contact with in-game buddies but mainly -and most importantly- just losing interest.

Good points.

Both winning and losing will have a big personal mark but there is alot to lose in DU.

For me it would be a win if i can finish my goals in DU and actually help other people to play happy and have fun. Simply because if my friends are having fun, my fun doubles.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont care about PTW.

When I like the stuff and it´s unique, I will buy it.

I like to play and when I like the game I invest.

When you dont want to purchase ingame stuff, just dont do it. It´s a personal choice and nothing comes for free, else the game wont be around for a long time.