COPYCAT - Free code and design!

vertex

To all the poor souls that bought a proprietary design and don't like the seat color: come to us! We'll provide you with an accurate replica, improved with our own scripts and your own individual taste.

Everything you buy from us is yours. Feel free to modify, copy, paste or mass produce. We're out there for you to free code and design.

They lock it? We break it. They hide it? We find it. They try to control you? We'll set you free again. They want to protect the seller from the buyer? Don't let them cheat you. We'll always find a way to replicate and recreate - and because we don't have to think the stuff up, we'll excel at improving what others first had to imagine.

Support freedom. Join us today. No obligations.

COPYCAT [CC0] Logo

As first act of revolution I've copied and improved upon this cool looking logo. Join and you'll be free to wave it around too! Or don't join and wave it around anyways. This is based on an image in public domain and I put my creation into CC0 too :) 

Apply today - everyone will be accepted and if we feel like it we may rebuild someones HQ at a nicer location, eh?

https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/copycat/

Disclaimer

Since no obligations, in contrast to everything else, is meant serious, we might never get anything done. Don't let this little note keep us from enjoying the ride tho - there will be enough flamable beverages and other kinds of mind altering substances. Just remember the only serious part: no obligations.

Regarding "Free code and design!"

Think of free speech, not free beer - although there shall be beer of course.

Update 2020-03-20

Since the organization's page likes to be inaccessible at times, here's our discord link.

CC0 Discord Server Feel free to join now!

same as democracy and freedom, also not the same ;) 

As this is a way to get a point made i think you are doing a good job, point is made :)

And reading most parts of NQ about DU it even seems your organizational purpose is legit, which probably is the reason of concern for a bunch of people.

Well, I'd expect some form of "Intellectual Property Repossession Corps" to evolve in the future as part of emergent gameplay. As I understand it players will have to set up their own police force and rules.

Quite frankly I do have a slight fraction of fear that NQ might get the impression that this organization is aimed towards harrassing other players or organizations. That's definitely not the intended purpose, but if this concern should arise, I'll close the gates without resistance. Tho I hope this won't be the case and we'll be allowed to have our fun :) 

I think we'll see during Alpha/Beta how this plays out and if it creates too much discord we'll start with a blank slate on release, living within the yet to be finalized ruleset.

I've just blindly accepted the first member and missed to read the application. First time I got one from somebody I didn't already know :o 

Does anyone know if I can still view the original application message again somewhere?

@Kiwi well, we have a rule that no org member is allowed to work against his or her other organizations he/she is a member of - at least not on account of CC0. This one rule already excludes anarchy as organization form. Tho even "anarchy" and "organization" do somewhat exclude each other already. Then again what else but anarchy is Dual Universe in the beginning? Anarchy is prone to give birth to groups or clans, which will have their own set of rules and moral code - what else is this world but anarchy with huge clans called France, Germany, EU or USA? Apart from that I might add some anarchistic touch to the organization - I really like that idea - thank you :) 

/edit/1st

Oh and another thing regarding the placement of this organization: I think it makes a great target for all the military groups to track and hunt down "counterfeit product". I don't know if we'll even get there, but don't see everyone stealing from you as a problem, when you could see it as incentive to act and prosecute instead. Something the "IPRC" can put your awesome products to good use for, eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Thing is (if plan works) you will be mostly asked to copy something cool and, most often then not -- rather big. From skilled builders. Who will be known in community. And I'm seriously doubt it will be practical and profitable (not only in material sense) to copy serious "signature" builds, because its more things of artistic prestige and show-offing then any material use. And if everyone knows that its just "stolen copy" (and they generaly will) -- new owner ending percieved kind of bouffun in gentlemen part of community. Like cheap guy with obviously fake expensive watch.

Also, issues with original disign owners can go south (and completly out of hand) extreamly fast. And far beyond gameplay borders. Like they not simply attack your ship, but will hate you as person, seeking all kinds of vengeance.

With smaller and less known things it can work, to extent. 

Generaly, idea is fun (as some kind freedom-protest mentality), but potential complications are very harsh. 

Thanks for the nice feedback - I too think it's fun :D

One thing you got wrong tho: We don't aim at cheap knock-offs. I get how that feels implied - like some dude at the australian bazar selling cheap "Roolex" - but that's far from what we would do. We're more like that tuning garage, where you drive your shiny sports car in and get it back with improved stats. Nobody would call that a cheap copy - not only because copying something will be everything but cheap, but because we'll be even more expensive than the original, because we will provide full access to everything and won't do mass-production or whatever.

So far it's unclear if we even got the skills or manpower needed - or if anyone likes to do anything at all. Sadly the org news got wiped, where I said that the only serious rule in cc0 is "no obligations" - so there might as well be lots of people in our org that just want to make a statement, but will never move a finger to actually copy anything.

You said it: the idea is fun. That's what it's all about - the idea. Tho if someone really puts down the coin, cc0 will most probably get active on the job. Just that nobody will call this cheap - it's the opposite - it's people wealthy enough to afford not only the original, but a dedicated group of "tuners" that take the original and create a copy from it, which will take a long time and for an exact replica we'll need access to the original. We liberate proprietary design and a liberated version of an otherwise locked-down construct will be much more expensive. That was my main argument in previous discussions - a DRM infected product should sell for way less, because the buyer gets way less for the money.

For all I care you could just as well ask the original designer, if he's willing to provide you an unlocked version if you pay him just as much as you'd pay us. Given that through mass-production of locked down constructs you can sell cheaper to the masses, he might even be inclined to setup a contract and get this one-time big bonus :) 

/edit/ps

Oh, I've put that "no obligations" bit into the OP too. Ha, cool.

/edit/ps2

Just thought about some crazy designer may ask an incredible amount of money for his proprietary crap. In that case, well, we might be cheaper, true, but it would be an even sweeter treat if we can provide a better version at lower cost B)

Hmm, thanks, I see how it works (more o less) with ships. Improving and tunning is indeed reasonable spice for whole offer.

What about buildings? (Most of my message was about them, actualy, my MC background works).

Expample. Like guy 1 builds something like ultra-epic pink space fortress with fat unicorn in strange position on top of highest building that looks like candy. Everyone just dying how good this build is. But its owner refuses to give or sell any plans for copy -- no matter the money proposed. Then some sick unicorn-loving millonaire comes to you and tell - hey ccO, make copy for me for game $$$ or DACs.

Then moral problems rolls (as I see it).

Owner likely will be absolutly against such action. He wants his build stay unique. Even more he can fastly turn increasingly hostlie (as his friends).

Other players will see you not as "copyright-freedom-fighters" but kind of dirty mercs, who will copy own mother for profit.

Even if you finish build and copy in nicely (even with some improvments) -- result will be more or less stained by this little paid "theft", never as standalone thing, but copy.

Owner of copy barely will be seen as good or serious man (here this part with not-so-cheap-but-fake-watch). Because his new possesion will be product not of building talent, but $$$ (no matter ingame or outgame).

Or may be I'm too romantic about all this builder honour : )

Well, I didn't give static/space cores any thought until now. As in reality - homes (usually) aren't something you mass-produce and sell from stock. If someone builds something that he doesn't intend to sell in the first place, there is no DRM in effect - it's not a proprietary "product". Hence I think this got nothing to do with our business :) 

Same for dynamic cores - unique constructs are not targeted by the cc0. The creator would first have to blueprint it and offer to sell a proprietary/protected version to other players. Then these players might fly around with their new ship and they learn that it doesn't perform as well as they hoped in certain situations. They might want to change that button position on that other screen, or remove the seat that always gets in the way when there's an emergency. That's when they'd wish for the permission to modify their construct. That's where the cc0 comes in and rescues this poor fella, who loves his construct, but can't change the things that really vex him about it.

If it's a unique construct, never sold, never locked down - have fun with it - none of our business ;) 

/edit/ps

Of course they can always ask the original creator to change stuff for them, too. If their support/service is good, there wouldn't be much incentive to call out for copycats, I guess.

Oh, thank you : ) Then your mission not so bad. I was thinking of far more evil plans, misunderstood whole concept : ) Like copying even poor maidens trying to hide in their towers.

Modifiying already sold blueprints looks like somewhat sketchy too... but mostly ok. More grey area then dark.

Sorry for flooding your thread little bit.

You're welcome - no worries! On the contrary - thanks for bumping the cc0 to the top of the list. And thanks for your inquiries indeed, they help me advance as well. It's awesome to get new perspectives and inspiration this way ❤️

cc0 is merely a reaction to some people getting overly afraid of not being able to lock down everything they create. We don't even know if we will be able to lock down code and design - maybe this whole idea won't even find any application in DU.

I don't speak for everyone now, but at least I don't have a desire to piss at the legs of fair trading builders. Only in the soup of those that scream "product piracy" from the top of their lungs even before they made any product or started selling. Those who claim DU will fail if we can't secure "intellectual property" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, StarfordRaffles said:

I guess I assumed all aspects of a construct that I owned would be "open source" so to speak... is this not the case?

Currently this is the case, yes. It might change in the future tho. We just don't know yet, which makes it even more funny that some were losing their mind about stealing being the end of the world :lol: 

Care to get a bit more into detail on that? Not sure if I've seen your name around lately...

Only at the moment tho, huh? If you become one, you'll always know one :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! @vertex, I ready to be your first alpha-test client!

By my cursed hands I made worst ship in whole world and failed make it to fly so hardly, that i can't even see Elon Musk on TV anymore because of envy . What if you take it and copysomethingcat with it and make it so cool better copy, that they feature our joint creation on DU Twitter?

I generaly as poor as church mouse, but can pay with crate or two of simple resources. Also you will aquire mightiest of friends. 

Haha, that's a funny approach to the topic, but I'll sure take a look at it to help it become airborne :D

You can type "/w vertex hello" in the game chat to open a direct channel to me (when I'm online) and send me your coordinates (F4 = map, then click "my location" and "copy to clipboard" - paste this using ctrl+v in chat). If I'm not on, or miss your message, send them here or via private message and I'll pay you a visit :)

Hehehehe.

You know what?

@vertex and his frined @Armedwithwings really kindly hepled me with ship! Pimped it! Like in this TV show:

51mHw0MMI-L._AC_.jpg

And gread deal of nice advice about how to fly and update futher.

Also special thanks to @vince_chicault for M vert. booster.

So, I completly recomend this guys for doing buisness, they are trustworthy and great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Since we've got a new forum section for the german crowd, I thought I'd go ahead and push a stolen copy of my initial post there, as well as improve the sentiment a bit. So if you're german and didn't went there yet, please follow this link:

@copycats I believe we've got some french people too, so if you like to do this: feel free to rip my initial post apart, translate parts or all of it and drop it over at the FR section. My little franc,ais is way too dated.. it's like 20 yrs old and I couldn't order a pizza anymore... une pizza s'il vous plaît? But I'd end up with who knows what ingredients... :D