I'm thinking about buying a pack. But I have questions first.

Atheos

I'm a long time EVE Online player but quit after CCP lost their minds during the blackout madness and cyno changes a few months ago  (I know most of you reading this will have no idea what that means).

Over the past year, I've put in about 1,700 hours into Space Engineers and also dabbed with No Man's Sky, Elite Dangerous, etc.  I guess the purpose of mentioning those things is that I'm a big sci-fi fan and really want to sink my teeth into a MMO with a space setting, and the Voxel-style gaming and building is really fun with Space Engineers, but server stability is almost always awful and the lack of meaning after awhile on a single server really makes playing stale. 

I'm very skeptical  with this title in particular because of all the setbacks and never ending bug fixes, crashes, lag, and general un-playability with Star Citizen that also touted all this new, cool stuff in a "unheard and unmatched vision for a space MMO" but want to remain hopeful because of the obvious potential it has.
When I listen to the podcasts available and updates on YouTube from the Dev's, it is what it clearly is meant to do which is to give updates and answer questions, with a side of up-selling by being positive and enthusiastic which is pretty effective and elaborating maybe on the road-map and current state, but I've stopped giving in to the salesman talk.  It still works in some way I guess, because that's why I am here making this post.  So I guess the answers here from players will determine my decision if I buy or not and how much I'd be willing to spend.

Straight to the questions if the passage above is tl;dr

Since I think I am limited to certain question because of the existing NDA players agree to, I'll try my best and keep it short.  If I ask something you don't think you can answer (idk exactly how NDA's work) just strike the text.

• How well is server stability and simulation speeds, since everybody is building on 1 mega server?

I have a pretty beefy computer, so my PC well exceeds to minimum requirements listed.

• Has the game already gotten to a point where you have little to no chance of 'making it' with a brand new organization? Should brand-new players start looking immediately for an organization, similar to how you should look for corporations in EVE asap for that illusive fun-per-hour?

• I fully understand this is an alpha and being developed, but are there bugs that have existed for far too long? i.e specific static blocks (maybe a battery or something equivalent) not working as intended, falling through floors, rubberbanding with particular surfaces, etc

• For someone who has been playing MMO's and PC games in general for maybe 15 ish+  years, which pack is most recommended? I know that's sort of a hard-to-answer-question, but from the perspective of:  I'd hate to get the US-$60 pack and say to myself "dang, I should've got the one with the STU".

Thanks

Hi

the server is reasonably stable, with some glitches, especially after an update. This is to be expected because the server is not what they will have on release or beta, so I expect it to improve. The game can cope with lots of people and moving constructs in one place, which has been demonstrated in a video, and also in multiple community run events in game 

making a new organization is definitely viable, as the game has not even started yet. I do not expect many of the orgs to survive release, so there is still time to start one. 

As the game is under nda, I can’t discuss the bugs.

as for what pack to get, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. We haven’t gotten to the stage yet where we actually get anything in one of the packs aside from access to the game, so we don’t know how good any of the items really are

5 hours ago, Atheos said:

I'm a long time EVE Online player but quit after CCP lost their minds during the blackout madness and cyno changes a few months ago  (I know most of you reading this will have no idea what that means).

there are lots of EVE players here ;)

• How well is server stability and simulation speeds, since everybody is building on 1 mega server?

I have a pretty beefy computer, so my PC well exceeds to minimum requirements listed.

All we can say here: watch the videos about their server tech demo and the latest AMA (podcast). Everything else is NDA.

CPU with AVX is the most important stuff you need and a good internet connection helps too ofc

Has the game already gotten to a point where you have little to no chance of 'making it' with a brand new organization? Should brand-new players start looking immediately for an organization, similar to how you should look for corporations in EVE asap for that illusive fun-per-hour?

As in EVE - new orgs can ofc make it, even when founded later. The focus in DU is heavily on teamwork so an org is always a good idea

I fully understand this is an alpha and being developed, but are there bugs that have existed for far too long? i.e specific static blocks (maybe a battery or something equivalent) not working as intended, falling through floors, rubberbanding with particular surfaces, etc

For someone who has been playing MMO's and PC games in general for maybe 15 ish+  years, which pack is most recommended? I know that's sort of a hard-to-answer-question, but from the perspective of:  I'd hate to get the US-$60 pack and say to myself "dang, I should've got the one with the STU".

your money, your choice. Won't give you any advice here. Just keep in mind that you can build everything

On 12/30/2019 at 6:18 AM, Atheos said:

Over the past year, I've put in about 1,700 hours into Space Engineers and also dabbed with No Man's Sky, Elite Dangerous, etc.  I guess the purpose of mentioning those things is that I'm a big sci-fi fan and really want to sink my teeth into a MMO with a space setting, and the Voxel-style gaming and building is really fun with Space Engineers, but server stability is almost always awful and the lack of meaning after awhile on a single server really makes playing stale. 

I'm very skeptical  with this title in particular because of all the setbacks and never ending bug fixes, crashes, lag, and general un-playability with Star Citizen that also touted all this new, cool stuff in a "unheard and unmatched vision for a space MMO" but want to remain hopeful because of the obvious potential it has.
When I listen to the podcasts available and updates on YouTube from the Dev's, it is what it clearly is meant to do which is to give updates and answer questions, with a side of up-selling by being positive and enthusiastic which is pretty effective and elaborating maybe on the road-map and current state, but I've stopped giving in to the salesman talk.  It still works in some way I guess, because that's why I am here making this post.  So I guess the answers here from players will determine my decision if I buy or not and how much I'd be willing to spend.

Straight to the questions if the passage above is tl;dr

Since I think I am limited to certain question because of the existing NDA players agree to, I'll try my best and keep it short.  If I ask something you don't think you can answer (idk exactly how NDA's work) just strike the text.

• Has the game already gotten to a point where you have little to no chance of 'making it' with a brand new organization? Should brand-new players start looking immediately for an organization, similar to how you should look for corporations in EVE asap for that illusive fun-per-hour?

Thanks

Well if it is any consolation, they reverted the changes of black out so krabing is back on the menu ?. As for brand new players looking immediately for corps I would advise against this and have patience and network. There are a lot of "Eve" players, their time in Eve + label being thrown around loosely as I sometimes wonder if they spent more then a month so be wary when joining an organization with Eve players.

If there is one major positive aspect of the game I am skeptical it would stagnate pvp wise. My reasoning is that investment of human capital is definitely going to be a must. I wish you luck and fly safe.

Hey Atheos,

My game history mirrors yours and I have backed both DU & Star Citizen. They're both very different games, but i try to make a point to back developers that try to push boundaries & do something different. DU specifically for their server tech & overall vision. JC is also a self confessed fanatic, which is the kind of person you want in charge!

Now, the questions...

How well is server stability and simulation speeds, since everybody is building on 1 mega server?

I don't want to piss off NQ cause NDA, i will say that I played DU over the Winter holiday for at least 5 hours per day. I tried the latest build of Star Citizen yesterday, but I only lasted a couple of hours.

Has the game already gotten to a point where you have little to no chance of 'making it' with a brand new organization? Should brand-new players start looking immediately for an organization, similar to how you should look for corporations in EVE asap for that illusive fun-per-hour?

So far I've played completely solo, it's still way too early to have missed out on any chances to "make it". I'd imagine everything will be reset before launch.

I fully understand this is an alpha and being developed, but are there bugs that have existed for far too long? i.e specific static blocks (maybe a battery or something equivalent) not working as intended, falling through floors, rubberbanding with particular surfaces, etc

It's alpha, there will be bugs. If you can't tolerate this, wait for beta for fewer bugs or release.

For someone who has been playing MMO's and PC games in general for maybe 15 ish+  years, which pack is most recommended? I know that's sort of a hard-to-answer-question, but from the perspective of:  I'd hate to get the US-$60 pack and say to myself "dang, I should've got the one with the STU".

I think that depends on your personal situation. I personally went with the $60 pack cause i can't really justify spending $120+! The pledges also include DAC (dual access coupons) which are used to buy playtime after release. The $60 pledge has 3 so that's 3 months of post release playtime paid for in advance. This will be a subscription based game after release.

My understanding from the info released by NQ is that everyone will get an STU. This will enable everyone to create an area to safely store items so that you can leave the game and come back, maybe months, later. I see it a bit like the NPC station storage in Eve. The higher level packs just give you more space from the beginning. If I have this wrong, i am sure someone will correct me!

If you are still unsure, just wait for the NDA to drop, then there will be loads more information available. They haven't given a specific date for this, but Beta is currently scheduled for Summer 2020. 

I hope this helps.

Well this is much less ambitious than SC so will probably be easier to complete. The combat won't even be in the same class.

IMO DU is a good space game and the ability to design and build your own ships answers my biggest complaint about SC and almost every other space game.

Can't really say much more because of the NDA, but I do recommend trying it unless you really just want PVP combat, in which case, wait a year.

2 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

but I do recommend trying it unless you really just want PVP combat, in which case, wait a year.

If you're only wanting construct vs construct combat, then alpha 3 will have that. Avatar vs avatar combat won't be for a while.

We're on alpha 2 right now and alpha 3 is scheduled for January this year. So you can assume construct vs construct combat will come in Q1 of this year.

9 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

I'm thinking the limited CVC in A3 is going to be boring for the PVP crowd.

What I really like about how NQ is developing this game is that they are treating alpha much more like the way it should be treated, as opposed to some games that are released with "alpha" (or "early access") label. NQ reinforces the meaning of "alpha" with both the NDA and limited server availability as constant reminders that the game is very much under development. So I advise anyone who is looking to join the alpha with the intention that they are getting access to a game they can play just for fun to wait at least until DU enters the the "beta" phase (see: https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2019/12/04/roadmap-update/) .
If you are like me, and want to both help in the development of the game while learning a game with some depth then by all means join in.

12 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

I'm thinking the limited CVC in A3 is going to be boring for the PVP crowd.

Yup. Initial release and restricted PvP areas will not be great for the typical PVPer. PvPers interested in testing the mechanics and providing valuable feedback will love it. You know these players as the max/min players who spend most of their time on the pre-release servers in WoW and ESO, etc.