Player Restrictions on the Planned Mission System

Vyz Ejstu

In the podcast, NQ talked about player-created missions and the dynamic play with allowing newer players to earn some income to start off. A possible suggestion was NPC sponsored missions aimed at the newest of the players. Another suggestion is creating an option for restrictions by 'player age'. I don't know if this will be sufficiently addressed by the RDMS or solely handled by the planned Mission System. Under this suggestion, entities can restrict mission access by the age of the player; perhaps by months or weeks. 

I think it plays to NQ's goal of enhancing contact between older and newer players quite nicely. Quests created under such system could provide the newer players with something to do, earn an income, and be introduced to an organisation, while excluding mature players from farming those quests. It might indirectly affect competition between organisations too. Larger organisations may be able to spare more resources/rewards to lure newer players to them or decide not to bother on that front altogether - letting word-of-mouth marketing do the job instead.

From my point of view I believed they were referring to Bounty's player hauling missions ect not NPC variants of it. I also believe NPC's should be limited or shorted out from the game entirely (prime pump of the economy excluded) because this game was made for players interacting with players not players interacting with npc's. 

On the Flip side I could also see this being the prime quanta faucet that many in the community have been speculating about.

However as it stands this will not be the case.

But its possible I am wrong ;)

1 hour ago, unown said:

From my point of view I believed they were referring to Bounty's player hauling missions ect not NPC variants of it. I also believe NPC's should be limited or shorted out from the game entirely (prime pump of the economy excluded) because this game was made for players interacting with players not players interacting with npc's. 

On the Flip side I could also see this being the prime quanta faucet that many in the community have been speculating about.

However as it stands this will not be the case.

But its possible I am wrong ;)

During the podcast, NQ said NPCs as a tentative option for new player missions. The podcast is almost a two hour affair on YouTube. I suggest you download a podcast app to do something else while you listen along.  

That aside, I believe NQ is well aware of their promise to have a player run economy. This suggestion recognizes that promise and offers a way or at the very least, community suggestions on avoiding NPCs in this regard. 

A quanta faucet in the example you gave would rely heavily upon NPCs. As NPC-run, it may provide newer players with a fortune to start out; it might alternatively leave them with slow minutes to a hours of grinding to do. That could in turn, nudge them towards finding an organisation fast or crawl through the game at a snail's pace in defiance of the obvious push. It's unlikely that a large percentage would drop the game within the first two days, given the subscription model of Dual Universe. On the other hand, new player experience is a crucial thing to get right. Rewards, immersion and teamwork are significant parts of that experience.  

Cheers. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 12:52 AM, Vyz Ejstu said:

During the podcast, NQ said NPCs as a tentative option for new player missions. The podcast is almost a two hour affair on YouTube. I suggest you download a podcast app to do something else while you listen along.  

That aside, I believe NQ is well aware of their promise to have a player run economy. This suggestion recognizes that promise and offers a way or at the very least, community suggestions on avoiding NPCs in this regard. 

A quanta faucet in the example you gave would rely heavily upon NPCs. As NPC-run, it may provide newer players with a fortune to start out; it might alternatively leave them with slow minutes to a hours of grinding to do. That could in turn, nudge them towards finding an organisation fast or crawl through the game at a snail's pace in defiance of the obvious push. It's unlikely that a large percentage would drop the game within the first two days, given the subscription model of Dual Universe. On the other hand, new player experience is a crucial thing to get right. Rewards, immersion and teamwork are significant parts of that experience.  

Cheers. 

Eve Online has a player run economy and it is heavily reliant on npc missions for one of it's main faucets of injecting currency into the economy. As for newer players it would give them cash in a manner that isn't going to make them quit compared to the hours of grinding they would do mining garbage on the surface of a planet. Also don't think that just because of the game being a sub it will equal guaranteed player participation. This is why they have a one month free for buying the game, if not at least $15 for the month. I would also point towards predecessors such as Wild Star, Age of Conan, Rift, Darkfall, and etc. 

As for the player missions, I can't wait to create player missions of sending them out into full loot pvp to drop off some ore for 1,000 quanta bucks at an outpost. Where me and 5 other buddies wait to give a "warm" welcome and an express trip back to the noob zone. Reminds me of the bs of players creating contracts that has a player carry a token items to a system where they get blapped and because they failed to transport the item they lost out on their isk collateral they accepted when they took the mission. 

Seriously the player made missions makes me think more and more that if anyone at Novaquark played Eve longer then 1 month. Player made missions was discussed and this is just a random thread and of course this one someone posted, I can't find the original of someone doing this that they admitted to in the market discussion thread. Also high sec isn't safe so suicide ganking was worth doing when you can split the proceeds with your buddies.