Prison/legal system

Fenrave

This topic is an offshoot of this thread (for contexts sake)

Since DU is placing an emphasis on civilization building, I find that some form of a prison system will be a must. Without one, the only punishments that would be feasible is:
1. fines or appropriation
2. kill orders
Fines are potentially impossible to enforce, especially if the currency in-game is decentralized, you could take someones ship until their pay a fee, but given the ease of building ships, I'd imagine this would be pointless for griefers or new players. Kill orders would require a lot of work to carry out, in addition to just flat out removing due process; What happens if someone who happens to be good friends with the local "police" force claims that you did something illegal/against the rules? They'll either hunt you down, or wait until you show up to kill you, was there evidence of this supposed crime? Maybe, maybe not, but that could have been determined if you were thrown in jail and went through the legal process. Without a proper prison system, there would be no method for civilizations to stay democratic or pacifistic.

Obviously some problems with this idea are as follows:
1. Unfair legal codes
2. Insanely long prison sentences
3. Abuse of the system

Most, if not all of the time, the enforcement of laws is often up to the population as a whole. If people agree that the law saying you can't wear yellow on Saturdays is absurd and stupid, chances are, most people are not going to enforce it. Long prison sentences could closely moderated by novaquark themselves, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to check every couple days to see if a prison is carrying out sentences longer than a week, especially if it becomes publicly known that someone has been in jail for an awfully long time. Abuse of the system for smaller groups of griefers or pirates could be solved, maybe by limiting who can establish a prison to sufficiently large enough/established societies. What would set the limit for these? I don't know. But i do know that the benefits are pretty good.

I don't personally think i would be inclined to grief if i knew i could risk spending half a day in a virtual prison, If i was just killed, I'd probably do it again. Griefing is fun because its quick and often easy, but if you have to spend hours in a prison wasting your potential play time, then griefing might become not so easy and quick, it would be more of a chore, as to prevent being arrested.
(as an fyi, the linked thread suggests that the players would still have to catch you however, stun weapons could potentially be an effective means of enforcing a prison system as to stop people from just letting you kill them, or to run away.)

Good luck!

First try convincing NQ to delete the force respawn if they add it to the game and then explain to them why a lot of people will cancel their Sub but that it doesn't matter and if they still do it I will be back for the discussion :D

Actually building a prison or a trap to hold people against their will in a game, is that not also a form of grieving? 

If a prison ever was introduced I would jail everyone I see just for fun just to prove my point of how awful such a system would be. And believe me, I wouldn't be the only one to do that (others may even don't because they want those tears). Only because an org is big or has some reputation doesn't mean they should get access to unique mechanics. Either ALL ppl have access to something or NOONE. That's probably even a worse idea than a prison 

Very fun to imprison ppl and holding them off from playing for which they PAY MONEY. Kkthxbai 

With hindsight and reading those other threads relating to the topic, I have to admit i didn't really think of the idea in that way. I was mostly thinking of it from the perspective of pure optimism, but clearly thats an unrealistic standard. The idea of a voluntary system is pretty intriguing, although that wouldn't really require any form of scripted implementation on novaquarks part.

This game does not require a legal system they already are a thing.

If player A Kills Player B Then Player B Tells Players C,D,E,F,G,H,IJ,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,S,Y,Z Player B will be Negatively effected Whitch A legal system hopes to provide this is not just killing this can be anything against some one else's "Moral code" And because a player Can Lose A vast Majority of there time spent playing DU  and or there ability to quickly progress Players may be in favor of not Doing such things. Cause And Effect

On another Note Orgs May attempt to prevent players from doing certain actions as well.

To this A Hard coded Legal system is not needed at this time