For my next act, I will quote your entiiiiiiiiiiire post :D

DarkHorizon

For the love of his holiness Lord JC (praise be!) please don't quote an entire post.

So I'm writing about a hypothetical battle I participated in last night, and give a play-by-play of everything that happened.

"I'm flying out of the mothership in my fighter and right out of the gate, two guys get melted, my BFF accidentally presses the eject button, a squad-mate gets EMP'ed which sends him full throttle (how exactly does this work?) head on into another enemy, our miners which returned at the worst possible time get destroyed by a black hole torpedo, and our kamikaze team gets hacked and explodes still inside the launch bay,  all before I can get my first shot lined up. ..."

I go into paragraphs on top of paragraphs of detail and the post is probably twelve feet long by the time I'm done. Then you come along and you shamelessly quote the entire thing from start to finish.  :mellow:

First off, I and probably half the forum collectively facepalm. You've basically duplicated my twelve foot post which is a lot of unnecessary scrolling that I doubt most will be fond of. It's also not the best forum etiquette.

Additionally, how is the OP or other readers supposed to know what you're talking about? Is it something specific, or is it generally the whole thing? If it was the whole thing, was the quote really needed to begin with?  Having to figure out what you're referencing can make it difficult to reply back and keep discussion moving. If you're going to quote an entire post and make references to multiple specific parts, don't be afraid to quote specific sections and respond to each one after the other. Post-start, Quote, response, quote, response, quote, response, etc... post-end.

Having multiple quotes in your single post doesn't make it bad or hard to read so don't be afraid to do this. Same thing if you're quoting multiple people in a topic, try not to break up what could have been one post, into multiple posts so you can reply to multiple peoples quotes.  :huh:

You'll also probably, hopefully, get the attention of a forum mod who will either ask you to cut it down or will do it for you.

Oh, and don't forget to paragraph. No one likes a wall of text, nor do we want to paste your text into notepad and paragraph it so we don't strain our eyes so much. Yes, I do resort to this when the situation calls.

Anyways, I just wanted to make this public. I know this is the internet and all, but lets not make things harder than they need to be. The real world is already hard enough. Thanks.  -_-

Guest Annabella

Yes, but you should point out HOW to do this.

The UI of these forum are weird and different and many people don't do forums, so they probably don't know:

1. you can quote multiple post in your post by scrolling up and clicking quote at the bottom of that post to add it to your post.
  2. you can click inside this created quote box and delete parts via delete, backspace, or highlighting via the mouse, proper referencing says " Three dots indicate an omission within a quoted sentence. Four mark the omission of one or more sentences. When three are used, space occurs before the first dot and after the final dot. When four are used, the first dot is a true period—that is, there is no space between it and the preceding word. "
  3. You can hover over the quote box and a little tiny ball handle will appear where you can drag and drop the box around in your post
  4. you can double click on pictures to resize them and right or left center them

On 11/16/2019 at 11:59 AM, DarkHorizon said:

For the love of his holiness Lord JC (praise be!) please don't quote an entire post.

So I'm writing about a hypothetical battle I participated in last night, and give a play-by-play of everything that happened.

"I'm flying out of the mothership in my fighter and right out of the gate, two guys get melted, my BFF accidentally presses the eject button, a squad-mate gets EMP'ed which sends him full throttle (how exactly does this work?) head on into another enemy, our miners which returned at the worst possible time get destroyed by a black hole torpedo, and our kamikaze team gets hacked and explodes still inside the launch bay,  all before I can get my first shot lined up. ..."

I go into paragraphs on top of paragraphs of detail and the post is probably twelve feet long by the time I'm done. Then you come along and you shamelessly quote the entire thing from start to finish.  :mellow:

First off, I and probably half the forum collectively facepalm. You've basically duplicated my twelve foot post which is a lot of unnecessary scrolling that I doubt most will be fond of. It's also not the best forum etiquette.

Additionally, how is the OP or other readers supposed to know what you're talking about? Is it something specific, or is it generally the whole thing? If it was the whole thing, was the quote really needed to begin with?  Having to figure out what you're referencing can make it difficult to reply back and keep discussion moving. If you're going to quote an entire post and make references to multiple specific parts, don't be afraid to quote specific sections and respond to each one after the other. Post-start, Quote, response, quote, response, quote, response, etc... post-end.

Having multiple quotes in your single post doesn't make it bad or hard to read so don't be afraid to do this. Same thing if you're quoting multiple people in a topic, try not to break up what could have been one post, into multiple posts so you can reply to multiple peoples quotes.  :huh:

You'll also probably, hopefully, get the attention of a forum mod who will either ask you to cut it down or will do it for you.

Oh, and don't forget to paragraph. No one likes a wall of text, nor do we want to paste your text into notepad and paragraph it so we don't strain our eyes so much. Yes, I do resort to this when the situation calls.

Anyways, I just wanted to make this public. I know this is the internet and all, but lets not make things harder than they need to be. The real world is already hard enough. Thanks.  -_-

I am not sure what you are talking about or why you post a wall of text about not posting walls of text I think walls of text without proper grammar and punctuation are fine especially if i put tldr in there somewhere i also like reading the same thing over and over very much and so do all of my friends from forever and many times they complain that they have to go back to a post to see if it still says what the little quote said and that takes time and is no fun so please dont tell me what to quote because i like the way i quote and so does everyone else in the universe if you are not sure what im talking about just reread your own post and let me know what you think might be irrelevant and i will happily clarify with another quote of your entire post along with the last one so you are not confused because it can be very confusing unless youre smart so i hop you are as smart as everyone else and will know what i am talking about if not HERE ARE SOME CAPS SO YOU KNOW IM SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TLDR: lol.