Learning Lua

Samael Frost

Well, we all know that we can use Lua in DU and I am interested about that. The fact is that i don't know how to code (just some really small base) , so if you have any good or easy way to learn it I'm in! 

As the Shakespeare's language is not my mother language, excuse me in advance. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find it notable that Lua were also the language of choice for the Minecraft mod Computer Craft. There is quite a community behind it, also providing code examples such as this one, which prints a graph over time to display the level of stored energy of a component on a display. How devices (such as displays) are addressed, however, depends on choices of the game developers, and I would also be very interested where such information can be found (or if such features are even already in the game). But I am downloading the game right now and looking forward to play DU for the first time, so maybe I will find my answers soon. ☺️

Other than that, there are plenty of beginner-friendly Lua code examples that can easily be found using search engines, such as on http://lua-users.org/wiki/SampleCode. If you need more basic explanations, you should probably watch some Lua tutorials on Youtube. If you are looking for an entirely pain-free way to learn programming, there is none. Learning programming includes doing a lot of mistakes, and one can only learn it decently when they are willing to suffer for it (due to the results being obviously worth it).

Edit: I just found the required information ingame at Codex (f1) -> Scripting.

Edited by Dragorion

On 11/13/2019 at 5:41 PM, Samael Frost said:

Well, we all know that we can use Lua in DU and I am interested about that. The fact is that i don't know how to code (just some really small base) , so if you have any good or easy way to learn it I'm in! 

As the Shakespeare's language is not my mother language, excuse me in advance. 

ep1
ep2
ep3

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/lua/index.htm
https://www.lua.org/pil/1.html

But take into account that while Lua is a very simplified language. It is still a programming language (actually a scripting language).

Programming is hard, specially if you want to make good programs.

Ppl spend years in collage learning how to program. With expert teachers teaching them the best practices. It will not be easy for you to reach that level of good programming just with 3 manuals and stackoverflow. 

It's not easy but there are fun ways to learn. I came into DU knowing absolutely nothing about coding or programming, not even html. I still have a fair share to learn, but I can happily say I now know enough to be able to make useful programs and customize my own ship. I'm grateful to the friends I've made in DU that have spent the quality time going over questions I had, otherwise it would have been much harder. I would suggest freecodecamp.org  to get some of the basic html stuff down, maybe some SVG stuff as they both use the tag system. Make sure to ask your questions in the forums when you're on your last thread. 

(for html /svg / css   I would suggest googling "real-time html editor" as it's an easy way to see the end product as you're working and know very quickly if you've made an error)