currency

BillyAngel

here's a totally stupid and completely insane idea that most if not all may laugh at. why not use a finite/infinite/faucet&sink system :)... Why not create something like a "wealth" talent. if we can place points into different talents why not create a talent with its various levels dealing with the amount of wealth we can hoard. you may think well what happens if i max out the amount i can hoard and i want to sell something, well this will encourage you to either place points into your "wealth" talent or go out and buy and spend the currency contributing to other player controlled industries. yeah people may pour points into this talent but in doing so ignore other important talents. this way a finite/infinite amount of currency can be implemented while at the same time using a faucet and sink system depending on the amount of players in the universe. yeah i know stupid. :)

I really can't see any benefit to this, personally.  I mean, isn't this indirectly how all other talents that make mining and production more efficient work?  Getting more for less?

I can't get behind a "rich boy" specific talent, it doesn't make any sense to me.

57 minutes ago, Nanoman said:

Points in that "wealth talent" would go at the expense of points in useful talents, which would mean that the most useless people will be able to hoard the most... Not sure I see any benefit in that.

But if your useless and neglect other talents how can you make any real money. your going to get left behind scrapping up peanuts while the real talented players are in demand their high level skills.

Altogether it is a bad idea, buddy.  There is no real talent to magically hoard money and wealth.  That denies the purposes of the trade and social economies of the game.  I'd say bail on defending this idea which you yourself called totally stupid and laughable from the onset.

10 minutes ago, Madrummer said:

Altogether it is a bad idea, buddy.  There is no real talent to magically hoard money and wealth.  That denies the purposes of the trade and social economies of the game.  I'd say bail on defending this idea which you yourself called totally stupid and laughable from the onset.

well the discussion actually started on another ideas and suggestions topic tittled "currency" when a guy had this to say.

(("My apologies if this is already a thing, but I would like to propose there being a finite limit to the amount of currency in circulation and not an unlimited amount that can be created from player sold items/vehicles/etc.

The reason: what breaks most mmo economies is the ability for players to amass wealth without limit, which ultimately causes the currency to be essentially worthless. You can look on the market of nearly any current mmo and see items priced in the millions+ because the majority of players have more currency than they could ever possibly spend. Most mmo's have attempted to compensate for this inevitability by having 'money sinks' or regularly introducing new currencies to keep the market from flooding and prices skyrocketing to absurd levels. However, money sinks and new currencies always fail since they underestimate the speed at which players can amass currency (especially when working together in large numbers). I would like to see a mmo do the right thing and learn from the mistakes of the thousands of mmo's that have failed at this in the past, and the solution is simple: cap the currency."))

Alot of people tossed around crazy theories, solutions and assumptions and i just thought why not this crazy idea lol

You wanna know the problem with the mindset of most people? Because the majority lacks financial and economic education, they think that the main purpose of trading is to keep accumulating money endlessly when really it's only the goods and services in the end that matters. A piece of paper doesn't yield anything and has little use but to wipe it out of my *ss after I'm done taking a sh*t. A 100 US Dollar bill  has no intrinsic value but how much you can exchange it for which is dependent on supply and demand for the currency and the market's trust on the monetary system. Without trust on the system, none of these will work and a piece of paper will only afford a piece of paper or anything equivalent.

Do you wanna know how the monetary system works? The government sells bonds to institutions(including the central bank) and auctions in exchange for money that came from this whole system previously saved up by these buyers. What is a bond? It's a loan that has to be paid back principal including the interest at some point. When the central bank prints reserve notes(currencies) and spends them on these bonds (which all came from the treasury), their liabilities will be how much they printed to buy those bonds, and those reserve notes(currencies) that are transferred becomes new money. Now that the central bank is the new bondholder, treasury owes them and this is how the central bank grows their balance from equity of nothing and whatever profit they make, they turn back to treasury -- so basically, they are buying back the bonds for literally nothing that they printed out of thin air! If the Fed is really independent, why does it transfer back the profit to the treasury?

kS0SnVE.png

This is how the monetary system works and if you think about it, it's a scam! The reason this whole system works is all based on faith on the national treasury! This is how money gets their value! Without your faith, I'll use it as a tissue to blow my nose.

0ETf05w.png

If you think hard enough, who is really paying for this debt (if they will really pay it off)? Isn't it you tax payers? lol! Who is "they"? It's you, the same people the government borrowed from! You are paying your own loan!

Money has no other function but for just a medium of exchange and the reason they work is because of faith and ignorance. It has no worth and use other than that.

Instead, learn how to evaluate assets intrinsically and invest in that! Think assets and not money! That's how successful people think! They build their assets and not stock pile of money. Things that "really" have value and yield. Money has yield only because you are able to exchange it for assets which itself has the yield -- so technically money has no yield.

That's not how I think man. I think assets and not Quantas. Even if the game is not like the US, assets are still far more valuable than Quantas which are used to acquire the valuable. Intrinsically Quantas are worthless!

50 minutes ago, Eternal said:

That's not how I think man. I think assets and not Quantas. Even if the game is not like the US, assets are still far more valuable than Quantas which are used to acquire the valuable. Intrinsically, Quantas are worthless!

First of all i love the knowledge bomb you just dropped there. second, if im understanding you correctly then my earlier statement about unskilled quantas hoarders vs. in demand skilled players has slight validity. the player who has placed points into his talents is actually building their assets which in-turn yields worthless quantas that is used to acquire additional assets, while the unskilled quantas worshiper uses little to no skills to painstakingly scrape up and hoard crumbs of quantas.

I'm starting to think that maybe what i said about a "wealth talent" may not have been a silly idea after all lol

Hoarding money -- who does that in real life? The most successful people grows their assets and not piles of money. Money to the rich is cash flow that they reinvest to grow their assets (not money which is the liquidity of assets).

Assets = Equity + Liabilities ---> it's basically all tangible and intangible assets that you control (you don't even have to own them)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 6:25 AM, BillyAngel said:

here's a totally stupid and completely insane idea that most if not all may laugh at. why not use a finite/infinite/faucet&sink system :)... Why not create something like a "wealth" talent. if we can place points into different talents why not create a talent with its various levels dealing with the amount of wealth we can hoard. you may think well what happens if i max out the amount i can hoard and i want to sell something, well this will encourage you to either place points into your "wealth" talent or go out and buy and spend the currency contributing to other player controlled industries. yeah people may pour points into this talent but in doing so ignore other important talents. this way a finite/infinite amount of currency can be implemented while at the same time using a faucet and sink system depending on the amount of players in the universe. yeah i know stupid. :)

The issue with this is that people wouldn't utilize it and if anything it is going to probably piss off people that never played a real sandbox game. Players that already been in a sand box mmo is already going to know it is a worthless talent, as you can just easily earn cash by playing the market. The people that is going to get pissed off, is people that never played a sand box mmo and is going to put points into it and realize later on that it is worthless. 

Contrary to public perception, people generally don't hoard cash just for the sake of hoarding cash. They have a lot of cash as a rainy day fund just in case they get a shitty day from like a gank/etc and use the rest to further their preferred game play. 

As for the economics side of the game, people seem to have the misconception that real world < Eve economy. The game economy is quite easy to grasp in my opinion as it really is basically faucets, sinks, standard currency (think gold), and commodities. We aren't dealing with loans, bonds, stocks, and other financial instruments. The developers can actually apply some theory now while the game is in its infancy to test it out with the testers as putting it later in the game is going to be a bad idea. Only thing viable is loans and they can just rip off Eve with a contract system. Bnods/stocks is doable, not sure how you can implement it without it being a waste of code.