Get the Developer of this Game and hire him

Nomad_

Guest Annabella

While this is amazing, I think the game engine has already been picked and I'm not sure they can overlay his physic's onto the current engine

But my god this is awesome!

Physics like that would require too many resources for an MMO. Even the hardware requirements for that single player game in the video are rather high. So it couldn't scale to a single shard game world.

This is great for single player games, but in multiplayer games the lost of synchronisation between multiple players observing (and acting on) the same scene brings nasty issues (I saw my enemy get crushed by a falling wall, but he saw the wall and dodged) which in today's games can often be ignored (no falling walls).  So synchronisation cost and effectiveness is a much more important issue than more realistic physics to a multiplayer game.

7 minutes ago, JayleBreak said:

This is great for single player games, but in multiplayer games the lost of synchronisation between multiple players observing (and acting on) the same scene brings nasty issues (I saw my enemy get crushed by a falling wall, but he saw the wall and dodged) which in today's games can often be ignored (no falling walls).  So synchronisation cost and effectiveness is a much more important issue than more realistic physics to a multiplayer game.

The first thing that came to mind.

Amazing in singleplayer but in multiplayer we sadly have no way to sync that kinda physics reliable.

2 hours ago, gerrylix said:

Amazing in singleplayer but in multiplayer we sadly have no way to sync that kinda physics reliable.

I wouldn't say no way. A distributed datacenter based server based system (doing the physics) with high speed interconnects would work. Google is coming out with Stadia and frankly the only reason I can see for a PC gamer to subscribe would be if it offered big machines (say 1TB main memory) for use by multiplayer games specifically designed to take advantage of them.

53 minutes ago, JayleBreak said:

I wouldn't say no way. A distributed datacenter based server based system (doing the physics) with high speed interconnects would work. Google is coming out with Stadia and frankly the only reason I can see for a PC gamer to subscribe would be if it offered big machines (say 1TB main memory) for use by multiplayer games specifically designed to take advantage of them.

Stadia as any other streaming service is a different story and as i am working exactly in that field i have some insight.

If it's not coupled with high bandwidth, low latency on both sides it quickly becomes a desynced mess.

Can't even tell you how often i heard the phrase "The future are thin clients and datacenters" from salesmen in the last 10 years and still physics butchers the idea.

While true, it's possible if you localize all the computing in datacenters and just stream out the compressed video, anybody with less than a 100Mbit fiberoptic connection will be sitting in the corner and be crying like a baby. I streamed dual 4k virtualized programs and complete desktops and if you are adding even the slightest bottleneck, even inside a company everything falls apart really quick.

As a gamer  i will always prefer local hardware over virtualization and it should stay where it belongs, company virtualization.

There are plenty of reasons to offload to a datacenter but also plenty of reasons to stay far away from the idea.

The ramifications of a completely virtualized world are scary at best.

10 minutes ago, gerrylix said:

plenty of reasons to stay far away from the idea.

Amen.

There are plenty of reasons to share data from a data center, but I will always prefer to manage my own tools for accessing that data.

Isn't the game only being tested for player load on the server? A lot of the video they showed off was just players walking around in a small area, I would assume problems start to crop up as soon as you have pvp combat. I would assume that adding physics like the above video would be an issue for a small company with finite resources, not to mention the amount of programming adding nice physics to the game.