Sign in to follow this  
WilburKit

Humanity - A short story

A dull thud means that I have hit the ground. Explosives blast off the heavy metal doors that protected me from everything that a drop pod dropped from 10,000 metres screeching towards the ground at 1000 m/s experience. My visor immediately feeds me information, Tactical displays screech warning in bold angry red. Just outside of the doorway a huge shape looms from the burning sky. This battle is not just a ground conflict, giant gunships kilometres long fie salvo after salvo make my sound dampeners whirr with effort. Pulling myself together I take a step out of the pod.

As I step out of the shield protecting me from the outside world a sniper’s bullet hits me in the chest. The impact alone throws me to the ground. Instinctively I clutch my chest and gasp for air. As my fingers brush my chest the blood, I expect to be there is nowhere to be seen.

Sighing I remember everything they told me in the briefing. Me and my squad are testing a new type of armour, one of the many prototypes that are pumped out daily by the war machine that is the Solar empire.

The only reason I am alive to write this is because of that armour. With something akin to grim determination, in one fluid movement, I raise my gun and lock on to the place where my scanners detected the infra-red camouflaged muzzle flash. The reassuring sound of the armour’s automated voice drone, ‘Casualty’ it whispers in my ear. Behind the black visor I smile. First blood, I think.

Around me small hills rise and fall.

My squads drop pods stick out like a sore thumb across the bare dry ground. It’s helpful when the outside metal is 4000oc and  blinding white. A battleground lays before me nothings like the sims. Bodies are everywhere, my filters on my suit shut before I get more than a whiff of the sickly aroma.

The mammoth ruins of a Federal Flag ship lay before me, ants seem to be crawling around the feet of this gargantuan. Zooming in I can see that these are actually tanks. The sheer scale of this battle dawns on me. A notification tells me that HQ have sent me my message coordinates. Pulling them up I can see that the location is in the heart of the ship. We are required to obtain the blueprints of a new device only known as project ‘Stargate’. These are located in the central processing units of the ship.

Activating my jump-pack I leap into the air, this was always my favourite part of training.  I raise my visor enjoying the feel of rushing air against my face. Suddenly, tears race from my eyes. Being here doing this. It brings back memories of a happier time. Being torn from her was the worst part. Apparently, she took her life later that day. So, in a way the Arkship was both a curse and a blessing. I’m sure the people around me feel the same. How did we let this happen? How could we do this to ourselves?

Pulling myself back to reality I carry on my dark task. Life has twisted me beyond recognition. Letting me kill other humans. Well let’s be honest. We seem pretty good at that.

Hey guys!

I myself am not an alpha backer but I hope to write a series of short stories going over life all over DU

Please write in the comments if you want me to continue the story of this guy into a series.

If not expect another story soon!

Thanks, Wilburkit

(If I Made mistakes or say something wrong please help me edit. And give me feedback about what u thought. I really want to improve so give feedback or comment to ask for a new theme (idea) Thanks!!!!)