Lua Scripte Shop and Lua Script Modul

HappyDevil

Please excuse my bad English.

Lua Scripts is really great and full of possibilities but it is also very complex and there I see the biggest problem in the future. For many players, it is too time-consuming or too difficult to deal with the Lua Code. This may cause players to quickly lose interest in Dual Universe, simply realizing that they will never be able to exploit the full potential of Lua.

For this reason, here are a few small suggestions.

„Lua Scripte Shop“

To get easier at scripts I imagine something like a "Lua Scripts Shop". It is similar to the current market, except that there are offered "Lua Script Module (Item)" (see below).

On the left: Categories and a search function. On the right side you will get a short description (text / image) of the script and what you need to know about items (and how to name them).

A similar shop could also be used for blueprints.

Below you have the possibility to buy this "Lua Script Module" (for free or against Quanta).

After the purchase you will have a tradable item the "Lua Script Module". This can be activated in a Control Unit.

At the moment it is quite tedious to insert something from others in the Lua Editor. You have to look at what is coming and see that there are no problems with your own changes.
That's why I thought of something like a "Lua Script Modul".

„Lua Script Moduls“

Are tradeable items that you can activate in a Control Unit / Program Board, they are to be understood as mods in other games.

They do not change anything visible (adjustable) on the existing configuration of the unit, but only in the background. So you have the opportunity at any time to change his own Lua Script something, without encountering any extensions / changes in the code.

You can enable or disable them in Control Unit / PogrammBoard.
The author / creator has the ability to protect and hide the source code.

To activate one needs only all items, with the correct name (as in the module description) the "Lua Script module" and then everything should work.
You need a "Lua script module" per unit.

These ideas may make it easier and more enjoyable for some gamers to engage with Lua, and it reduces the feeling of having been no chance versus other players (who are more familiar with Lua).

Sincerely yours

HappyDevil

German:

Lua Scripte ist wirklich super und steckt voller Möglichkeiten aber es ist auch sehr komplex und da sehe ich in der Zukunft das größte Problem. Für viele Spieler ist es zu Zeit aufwendig oder einfach zu schwer sich genauer/tiefer mit dem Lua Code zu beschäftigen.

Das könnte dazu führen das Spieler schnell das Interesse an Dual Universe verlieren, weil sie einfach merken das sie nie das volle Potenzial von Lua ausschöpfen können.

Aus diesem Grund hier jetzt ein paar kleine Vorschläge.

„Lua Scripte Shop“

Um einfacher an Scripte zu kommen stelle ich mir so etwas wie einen „Lua Scripte Shop“ vor. Er ist ähnlich wie der derzeitige Markt, nur das dort eben „Lua Script Module (Item)“ (siehe unten) angeboten werden.

Auf der linken Seite: Kategorien und eine Suchfunktion. Auf der rechten Seite bekommt man dann eine kurze Beschreibung (Text/Bild) von dem Script und was man alles an Items (und wie man sie benennen muss) braucht dargestellt.

Einen ähnlichen Shop könnte es auch für Blueprints geben.

Unten hat man die Möglichkeit dieses „Lua Script Modul“ zu kaufen (kostenlos oder gegen Quanta).

Nach dem Kauf hat man dann ein handelbares Item das „Lua Script Modul“. Dieses kann man dann in einer Control Unit aktivieren.

Derzeit ist es recht mühsam im Lua Editor etwas von anderen einzufügen. Man muss schauen was wo hin kommt und sehen das es mit seinen eigenen Veränderungen zu keinen Problemen kommt.

Aus diesem Grund dachte ich an so etwas wie ein „Lua Script Modul“.

„Lua Script Modul“

Sind handelbare Items die man in einer Control Unit/PogrammBoard aktivieren kann, sie sind zu verstehen wie Mods bei anderen Spielen.

Sie ändern nichts sichtbares (einstellbar) an der bestehenden Konfiguration der Unit, sondern nur im Hintergrund. So hat man die Möglichkeit jederzeit an seinem eigenen Lua Script etwas zu ändern, ohne auf eventuelle Erweiterungen/Veränderungen im Code zu stossen.

Du kannst sie in Control Unit/PogrammBoard aktivieren oder deaktivieren.

Der Autor hat die Möglichkeit den Quellcode zu schützen und zu verbergen.

Zur Aktivierung braucht man nur alle Items, mit der richtigen Benennung (wie in der Modulbeschreibung) das „Lua Script Modul“ und dann sollte alles funktionieren.

Pro Unit braucht man ein „Lua Script Modul“.

Diese Ideen machen es für einige Spieler eventuell einfacher und angenehmer sich mit Lua zu beschäftigen und es verringert das Gefühl von anderen Spielern (die sich besser mit Lua auskennen) abgehängt worden zu sein.

I think scrip should be sell with blueprint ? As people just build it and the LUA scrip will be there and ready for them to use, as each construct and building have different element so it should also come with scrip for it just like those machine like Smart TV and Air Conditional have.

• 6 months later...

The scripting is cool, and the idea that you could sell a script you write is also cool.

The problem, what if I write a script, put it on market to sell.

Then you buy that script, copy and paste it as your script, and sell it yourself for a little cheaper after not having done the work to create the original script.

Intelectually property rights.

Because Intellectual property is unlike material production and can be copied and pasted, in real life systems society has came up with an entire system (in theory) to attempt to protect from that.  And to then allow theft of some intellectual property a system of banning, white, and black list is also created to facilitate theft by larger private sector and governments..  Look at Edison for example, or in more recent times various systems that use monopoly to only allow large corporations to release and profit from some idea they didn't create, or China making chip copies by the millions as another example.  Or classifying some idea then governments selling and using idea without pay to originator.  Then there is theft of music or writing, an example is Vanilla Ice changing one note and taking famous rifts fro m other songs, he kept doing that till, as the story goes, an upset victim held him from his hotel balcony by his feet explaining to him non system enforcement.  Then there are movies that take some script and rewrite it without giving credit and profit to actual writer because he is not on some white list

"let me guess you took a key to the patent office, and stole my design, and did a piss poor job of putting it together" - Harry Stamper -movie Armageddon

If they are to allow selling of scripts, they will have to implement some kind of copywrite review, and that would be a full time job for at least one person, or they will have to sell script as an unviewable object, then people could not modify a bought script to customize it further.  If you buy a script and the player using it can't see it, that limits building on other peoples building of stuff (other then those that simply open source there scripts) and makes security of a lua script that are in use in a game part of an anti cheat area, since using someone elses script by cracking it then copying it could also occur.

Selling scripts will create many untended consequences that will have to be planned for,

or you will get upset players yelling about there stuff being stolen, either before or after putting it on some market.

Either humans on the server side will have to enforce the uniqueness of a new idea before being able to sell it.  like how patents are copy-writes are suppose to work in real life. 

Or they will have to hide the source of script written and sold, and then review any script being sold to make sure it is not malicious since if hidden code what else could it be doing.

And they will have to then make sure there hiding of a script is so secure that if stolen such action will be detected and delt with severely.

Selling scripts really does sound like fun, but it is a much bigger topic then just putting some idea on a market for sale.

By looking at the difficulty of intellectual property rights in real life, selling scripts shows how it would creates a large need of some mechanism of player enforcement to avoid where players that are doing the most work in the community get upset by those taking instead of doing.   Hours of someones work stolen.... same problem again. 

(Note the use of takers and makers political slogan was stolen and never credit to the original writer years ago, as another simple example of systems in current society actions. Propaganda is often taking an idea, and using it reversed after stealing it by ignoring the rest of the context of a discussion)

And everyone learns code by looking at other code, when is it learning a mechanism, and when is it stealing a process?  To answer that sometimes it requires line by line review and is often a subjective conclusion and a very large topic to consider.

Give us both the options to trade scripts locked or unlocked.

locked = uneditable and unviewable ---> no technology transfer is included on trade

unlocked = editable and viewable ---> technology transfer is included on trade

You can also give the same options for construct design itself.

Whatever they can manage to imitate from locked, it's not gonna be exactly the same replica but shares some similar feature/s. I'm sorry to tell you this, but you have no trademark (protection) over that concept (innovation)! Look at Boundless, Hytale, Dual Universe, Camelot Unchained C.U.B.E, Trove, and countless other games that bear that same concept: they imitated Minecraft which first came up with the 3D sandbox building concept in a game. Mojang sold Minecraft to Microsoft, they only own that game and it's source-code (it's formula), they have no monopoly over the idea of it! You don't have a trademark over an idea/concept! As long as you don't take directly from the formula, you are not infringing on anything! You can take inspiration from something as no one has monopoly over a concept/idea, it's not the same replica!

If you imitate anything from locked, you violated nothing!

On 4/8/2020 at 11:32 AM, Zather said:

Because Intellectual property is unlike material production and can be copied and pasted

It is an intangible asset. Intangible asset is still an asset. I agree, it must be protected! That is why I proposed the options to trade them locked or unlocked and that's it! The rest, leave it to the players!

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a unviewable script? I can just abuse the system and send the coords to me in real time and noone would ever know. Thus, noone will buy unviewable scripts anyway because of that 

Im just going to say no, absolutely not. Selling LUA within the game will limit the access to it even more then you already expect in the original post. Not only will players not be able to write it because they dont understand it, they will also be unable to buy a script cause someone will sell theirs for a stupid price because "Its mine". What ever happen to community support, why is it that now days in games everyone just wants to be paid for their contribution. If you dont want anyone to "out sell" you then make your scripts open to the public. 

On 4/11/2020 at 12:57 PM, Eternal said:

It is an intangible asset. Intangible asset is still an asset. I agree, it must be protected! That is why I proposed the options to trade them locked or unlocked and that's it! The rest, leave it to the players!

I guess if people know the limitations of what they are buying, and the risk of what they are selling, they will know the potential consequences, and not get upset.  It could work.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, AngelsKing said:

why is it that now days in games everyone just wants to be paid for their contribution.

Because some people have sense of equity and individuality. We are an individual, am I right? We have self-interest, am I right? We want an equitable system, not a system of ants, right?

If I'm paying for this game (and I will be paying for DACs) and putting my time and effort in it, and then at the same time working with others, we need an equitable system where we members are regarded as individuals. An organization is a group of people, it isn't conscious! (in other words, it doesn't physically exists!) If I'm gonna be part of an org, I will think of myself as independent of my org. You contribute because you are a stakeholder and stakes must be distributed fairly to contributors!

This is where the community fails badly! It's a joke man! They wanna run a corporation and they don't have this concept?

If you own 51% or more of the company, you have controlling interest over it (it's called a "buyout"). Vote is based on ownership, not number of people. If you own 90% of the company, and 10 other people own 10% of it, it doesn't matter how many of them exists, you own 90% of the risks (the majority of the equity), your vote is worth 90 points! That is a proper voting system!

If I'm gonna contribute resources, I want fairness man! There has to be proper accounting and metric to properly divide shares and stakes! (use Excel)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, AngelsKing said:

Im just going to say no, absolutely not. Selling LUA within the game will limit the access to it even more then you already expect in the original post. Not only will players not be able to write it because they dont understand it, they will also be unable to buy a script cause someone will sell theirs for a stupid price because "Its mine". What ever happen to community support, why is it that now days in games everyone just wants to be paid for their contribution. If you dont want anyone to "out sell" you then make your scripts open to the public. 

Currently the vast majority of the very best scripts are not available to others at all... fancy HUDs and so on are kept and not shared because doing so means they lose control over it.

This is just another option to share something you don't want to lose control of and make a profit rather than keep it to yourself.

• 2 months later...

If someone is not well versed in LUA programming and therefore buys a ready-made script, how will they know that it does not contain any malicious function? For example: switching off the core unit at an altitude of X in atmosphere.

The idear is fine - but i think not realy realistic

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2020 at 1:06 AM, Labutor said:

If someone is not well versed in LUA programming and therefore buys a ready-made script, how will they know that it does not contain any malicious function? For example: switching off the core unit at an altitude of X in atmosphere.

The idear is fine - but i think not realy realistic

If someone is not well versed in ship building and buys a ready-made ship, how do they know the ship will fly as good as promised?

The principle is the same as in real life. Some people will try to sell you stuff which doesn't do what it's promised to do. And some people will fall for that, if it's lua or something else.

Over time some sellers will gain more reputation by selling quality stuff.