Can I get refund if I can't run smoothly after purchasing the game?

freemangl

Dear devs, I'm from China. I am not sure that my network conditions can support the game run smoothly or without lag.

My ping to EU server is around 500ms, to US server is around 400ms, to AU server is around 300ms.

Can I get refund if I can't run smoothly after purchasing the game?

Looking for you reply!

• 5 months later...

I also am wanting a refund 4 months no reply from any support teams on both facebook emails and from kickstarter messages, I am trying here now as a last resort Novaquark please reply you are now 2 years behind on all kick starter goals and i now want a refund 

i have already tried contacting the link supplied they have not replied in over 4 months 

22 hours ago, simpletech said:

I also am wanting a refund 4 months no reply from any support teams on both facebook emails and from kickstarter messages, I am trying here now as a last resort Novaquark please reply you are now 2 years behind on all kick starter goals and i now want a refund 

i have already tried contacting the link supplied they have not replied in over 4 months 

Try support@novaquark.com

In general refunds on a crowdfunded project are scarce.  The least they could do is say "we do not do refunds, sorry".  Put it a little more elegantly and that is a reasonable response.  Letting tickets sit for 4 months is tacky.

On another game, I tried getting a refund on the difference between a kickstarter pack and the same packs being sold on their site for a smaller price.  Not only does that behavior seem scummy, but the fact that they never responded to my inquiries left a terrible taste in my mouth.

Customer relations are extremely important and especially so on a crowdfunded game.  Doesn't mean you have to give out refunds, but having an open discussion goes a long way.  If they had answered back professionally and backed up their decision to lower the cost of the packs... I probably would still be following the game.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:19 AM, Hades said:

refunds on a crowdfunded project

You are not buying a game. You are donating money to help in developing a game that does not exist yet. 

As a perk for that donation, you occasionally get to test during certain stages of that development process.

There is no refund for "here have some money to develop."

If you want a stable game, with refunds if you don't like it, wait for release.

A donation are funds you give with no expectation of a return in any form and a Kickstarter pledge is certainly not that.

NQ never committed to a December 2018 release though and clearly communicated what they were doing to accommodate backers when they knew they would not meet that date (which was very optimistic to begin with). While I could see a point at that time, now nearly two years ago, at this time I'd be of the opinion that asking for  refund on these grounds is not reasonable.

The current update roadmap is still very optimistic but frankly, for the project being the scale it is, even delivering 3 years "late" would be an achievement  IMO..

8 hours ago, Tordan said:

You are not buying a game. You are donating money to help in developing a game that does not exist yet. 

As a perk for that donation, you occasionally get to test during certain stages of that development process.

There is no refund for "here have some money to develop."

If you want a stable game, with refunds if you don't like it, wait for release.

Oh fantastic.  Allowing devs to hide behind such a narrative allows for absolutely scummy behavior.  Look into the Oath MMO.  So glad I dodged that bullet, I was actually pretty interested 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 6:27 AM, blazemonger said:

A donation are funds you give with no expectation of a return in any form

This is just categorically untrue. A donation is when you give something with no REQUIREMENT of getting something in return. Merriam Websters  defines it as:

Donation: noun
: something (such as money, food, clothes, etc.) that you give in order to help a person or organization.

When you donate money to a kick-starter you can have the hope of getting something in return, and in many cases you do, but there is no legal requirement.

Denying that a kickstarter pledge hold the expectation of a return because there is no commitment is IMO not correct. It's much more than hope, you can reasonably expect a return (which sure, will often fall short or through)

This argument however overshoots the comment it follows from as it is simply untrue NQ is not delivering.

OP: Don't buy it then at this time = your answer.

As to Crowdfunding, it does fall under Consumer Protection as with any other transaction - however that still applies a "Caveat Emptor" principle thus the CONDITIONS of purchase should be investigated by the potential customer BEFORE any purchase. If there is a degree of uncertainty on suitability then DON't PURCHASE.

This is probably applicable to Software which is stated to not be ready for general public release eg ALPHA status.

As to refunds, likewise - read what the vendor has stipulated on this subject - go to their sources for guidance on this.

Really these sorts of threads should be put into a FAQ and so any such threads be deleted and sent there. Pointless opinion swapping without resource to correct process as above.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...