How to properly implement contraband/drugs

Ever_green

This is just a thought but I don't  know how it would work otherwise. In my eyes the only way to properly implement contraband such as drugs is to make them contribute to the individuals benefit. But take away from the orginization they may be a member of. Please give me your thoughts.

What if, instead, it temporarily boosted one ability, but made you dependent on it as in , for example, giving you temporary(say, 2 weeks?) massive debuffs if you don't take your next dose. It would also slowly permanently degrade all of your other abilities, slowly but steadily. This way, orgs try and prevent their citizens from taking the drugs, because they prevent the players from being useful to the org in ways other than that one, and are also very expensive. It would be good if all of the degrading of abilities is permanent, so as to discourage taking them in the first place, so that nq feels they are teaching a moral lesson, and also nobody feels they are encouraging the use of drugs, and sues them.

9 hours ago, __aes__ said:

What if, instead, it temporarily boosted one ability, but made you dependent on it as in , for example, giving you temporary(say, 2 weeks?) massive debuffs if you don't take your next dose. It would also slowly permanently degrade all of your other abilities, slowly but steadily. This way, orgs try and prevent their citizens from taking the drugs, because they prevent the players from being useful to the org in ways other than that one, and are also very expensive. It would be good if all of the degrading of abilities is permanent, so as to discourage taking them in the first place, so that nq feels they are teaching a moral lesson, and also nobody feels they are encouraging the use of drugs, and sues them.

Very good idea, a fan of that. Sorry for the lazily worded post above.

How about different drugs buffing different stats and debuffing an opposing stat, but also give you a short duration skill that you can't get normally. It's space drugs we can ask for whatever we want really.

So for instance your regular drugs:

A drug that ups your perception but lowers your HP.

A drug that ups your intelligence but lowers your strength.

The strange stuff:

A drug that allows you to see silhouettes through walls, but makes you slow.

Great for spies, but also great for scoping out who's spying. If you have a group of people walking around, but one of them is moving noticeably slower, you know who to pick out of the crowd.

A drug that increases your melee attack speed but also increases the attack arc, making you less accurate.

Depends on how combat is going to be implemented. But an increase in melee speed, and attack arc (so swinging from 0-90 degrees normally but to 135 degrees on drugs)

will potentially damage friendly people nearby or even yourself.

If someone gets dependant on it they would have to use more drugs to get the same effect. As a general debuff the stats that are debuffed while on drugs stay debuffed for a long time after the drug has worn out, if dependancy kicks in. To make this interesting from a gameplay perspective the buff to your stats should be quite high to make it worth the the risk of getting dependant on drugs when you're slapping/shooting/flying/mining/whatevering.

A lot of RL drug crime revolves around producing it, and selling it. The drug abusers in general don't do a lot of the heavy crime the producers do. To emulate such an environment NQ could make the procedure of making drugs damaging to the environment, health, and safety of the surrounding area. Cooking up drugs that can lead to potential chemical fires, or explosions will make it outlawed quick in large towns/cities. They could go so far to make the drugs themselves quite dangerous to transport in large quantities. Because it's space drugs we're talking about they have full creative control on making it potentially explosive. It would add to the smuggler roles people are interesting in getting. As they would need to both fly carefully, and invest into stabilizing their cargo.

As far as morals go, NQ should stay out of that business and just let the community police itself. If an org doesn't want people on drugs in the game, they can make it so.

I expect that if they add drugs towns, and orgs would police it how they see fit.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 9:38 PM, Ever_green said:

This is just a thought but I don't  know how it would work otherwise. In my eyes the only way to properly implement contraband such as drugs is to make them contribute to the individuals benefit. But take away from the orginization they may be a member of. Please give me your thoughts.

Well the lead guy played Eve and so I would expect that at a later expansion it would be implemented in the same way (link to how eve has it done). Stronger boosters/drugs gives the strong stats in one area with a random probability to give you a certain amount of debuffs and  you can lower % wise by training the appropriate skill and increase buff duration. The stronger stuff is illegal in npc space and so there was a profession early in the game where the lawless areas people would make the boosters (which certain groups specialized in linked here to utube) and smuggle transport them to the major trade hubs in empire space. Of course they had to kill or dodge npc customs while going through multiple gates. 

The above group had a monopoly and the video actually shows a major power bloc deciding they want to enter into that market using force. TCF was a French alliance with I don't over 2000 people against probably a 100-300 player group specializing in narcotics trade. People used boosters in pvp because of certain buffs and it was legal to make the synth ones in empire even though it gave you a very low % of stat buff's.

I think it would be great to have pharmaceuticals/stims in the game.  I'm not sure how you would make it illegal, since there won't be NPCs, and having debuffs to other skills aside from what you're buffing won't really make most orgs outlaw them.  I think the way to make them worth fighting over is to put them behind a large skill requirement and make them use very small quantities of a lot of rare resources, as well as potentially requiring the cultivation of exotic plants or animals that could be found about the verse.  Perhaps adding a way to water down the pure stuff for more, weaker stuff would add to the possibilities.  This would make the first people to get the skill requirements and materials necessary quite wealthy, but also paint a pretty big target on their bases.  Perhaps make a requirement for some plants needed for different stims to be grown only on their native planets, and require multiple such plants from different planets to make any particular stim.  This would require either specialization in farming a certain plant on a particular planet, or having a base on each planet to grow stuff.  Either way it becomes logistically complicated and prone to pirate raids or competing organizations blockading your base, thus creating a reason to smuggle the cargo out.

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 9:38 AM, Thor Wotansen said:

I think it would be great to have pharmaceuticals/stims in the game.  I'm not sure how you would make it illegal, since there won't be NPCs, and having debuffs to other skills aside from what you're buffing won't really make most orgs outlaw them.  I think the way to make them worth fighting over is to put them behind a large skill requirement and make them use very small quantities of a lot of rare resources, as well as potentially requiring the cultivation of exotic plants or animals that could be found about the verse.  Perhaps adding a way to water down the pure stuff for more, weaker stuff would add to the possibilities.  This would make the first people to get the skill requirements and materials necessary quite wealthy, but also paint a pretty big target on their bases.  Perhaps make a requirement for some plants needed for different stims to be grown only on their native planets, and require multiple such plants from different planets to make any particular stim.  This would require either specialization in farming a certain plant on a particular planet, or having a base on each planet to grow stuff.  Either way it becomes logistically complicated and prone to pirate raids or competing organizations blockading your base, thus creating a reason to smuggle the cargo out.

Well I gave some more thought on the matter and you could make contraband by using the starting areas. If they expanded the starting areas to be the entire small planet and allow care bears that are super risk adverse to rent land from the npc's, with the cash going straight to the npc's as a tax. So what does this do? This will basically turn the planet into Jita and so it would behoove people run their goods their and sell it as it would be guaranteed that their crap would be safe. NPC police would enforce what ever npc laws 20km of the planet and the gate for people to safely jump to a few of the care bear planets. 

Why would people sell there? Well the fact that humans are generally risk adverse. If you don't believe me just look at how CCP put in that crap of "asset safety" over allowing a citadel that gets destroyed have people lose all their stuff + clones and looted by the aggressors. 

On 9/10/2019 at 6:38 AM, Thor Wotansen said:

Organizations will for one reason or another make it illegal or legal