Voxel elements position and orientation by Lua script

MilanF666

I think that an ability of setting a position and/or an orientation of the voxel elements by a Lua script is pretty essential feature. Just imagine what fantastic creations could be made. Static elements are fine, but moving elements would be so much more interesting. Any user defined/created doors, elevators, ships changing an angle of their wings and so on.

Elements could have a parent-child hierarchy. The upper-most parent (a root) would be the core of the object.  The origin of the world coordinates (point 0, 0, 0), would be in the center of the objects core. A pivot point of the element could be set only inside of his bounding box (of the element). The position and the orientation of the element would be relative to the world (the core of the object) or to his parent (the core or another element inside the object). There could be a limit for the hierarchy depth (2 or 3 should be fine for the folding wings, retractable landing gear and so on).

If I understand you correctly then you want to program ships to be built thus removing the need to actually place all voxels? Isn't that what industry is for - load a blueprint and it will be done without need to code anything. Or you want to be able to use LUA to do stuff that other player without coding cannot do? Building constructs should be creative process, not coded process imo.

Let's say I want to have on my ship an openable back door/ramp. Or in my base a hidden door, which will look like a wall and will move to the floor when I approach it. I have an unlimited number of examples that would be possible.

13 minutes ago, spaceforger said:

If I understand you correctly then you want to program ships to be built thus removing the need to actually place all voxels?

No, it's exactly the opposite case, I want to create a ship like they are now, but to be able to add some functional objects. Not only premade components from NQ, but my own.

Just now, MilanF666 said:

No, it's exactly the opposite case, I want to create a ship like they are now, but to be able add some functional objects. Not only premade components from NQ, but my own.

Then it is bad as it will require to code in LUA in order to get maximum out of your constructs. Devs said that they don't want to force players to code and everything should be available to everyone, so unless they implement some outside LUA way to create player made functional objects then I do not see that happening.

Those components could be saved to the blueprints and be sellable as any other creations. It's the same as with any other Lua scripts in the DU. And it could be very easy for the user. For example:

On button pressed:

door.rotateTo(0, 180, 0)

Using LUA scripts will not impede the builds of other individuals, they still have all the tools to create what they wish--they just have a tool in their toolbox that they do not wish to use.  If I have a toolbox and refuse to use an adjustable wrench, that should not preclude my neighbor from using that adjustable wrench.  Especially since both of our toolboxes are exactly the same and provided by the same manufacturer.  If the wrench can be either manually operated, or automatic (with the insertion of a small battery), and I don't want to insert the battery to take advantage of the extra option, that is my choice.  

We are talking about the expansion of an existing system in the software--a system that is one that differentiates it from similar games.  Placing restrictions on that asset because some people chose not to use it does not seem like a viable option to me.  Saying that one must use LUA to get the maximum out of one's constructs is like saying that you have to practice flying in order to be good at it. 

Yep, a tool requires study in order to be good at it.  If you chose to not use that tool, or chose not to become as proficient in it as someone else, then you really cannot complain that their constructs do things that yours cannot. 

Besides, those constructs would probably be available for purchase, so they would be available to whomever wishes to purchase it and they would receive the benefit of the craftsman's skill.  In the end, it would just be a matter of someone purchasing  a)  something that does the job, and probably does it well, or  b) something that does the job as well as "a" but has some extra bells and whistles.  Welcome to a diverse economy with widespread options for customers to make choices.

• 1 month later...
Guest Annabella

They have already flat out said no to moving parts

https://trello.com/b/Y6WNMd2S/dual-universe-community-suggestions

If you look in the rejected column of the trello board they even explain why

But don't get me wrong, sliders, hinges, rotations, ect would be so much fun!

Edited by Annabella
added the last line