The part of a casual gamer?

CaptainGeek

Hello, sorry for my bad english, but there is no french forum, so...

Actually we know there is lot of casual gamers, lot of people who like play alone, for lot of reason i think everyone know.

I am one of them, because i like to do what i want, and i am bored to follow other people idea or plan, and when you are casual people dont care about what you want, and i can understand it, why someone who play 15h a day will follow someone who play 10h a week.

So, how its will work? is it possible to make city? big ship alone? is there safe zone where we can play like that?

I did play lot of time on pvp games like EVE and RUST, and we can see that if you are casual and alone, you dont get fun, only big clan and people who play a lot get fun, and you are only sheep for them. Its affraid me and lot of people i know.

thanks you.

If you are good you can play solo, but it will be much harder. I expect eventually there will be massive orgs that take anyone, and will not require you to follow them, like pandemic horde in EVE online.

19 hours ago, CaptainGeek said:

So, how its will work? is it possible to make city? big ship alone? is there safe zone where we can play like that?

Probably not. You need a lot of material for that so you need to mine it all by yourself. Then you need to craft all the elements you need which takes time too. Then you need to have the appropriate skills to even build or place said elements and cores. 

That said, it may be possible for you to do this on your own but I would expect you would need months to years to accomplish that. 

And yes, there are safezones where noone can attack you 

there is always room for casual players who only play 10 hrs a week, maybe not in all organizations but in Mine there is. And i also think there is room for your own ideas, its just how to plan them together. Even a casual player can have an impact, it only takes more time if he/she wants to do it all alone, but your ideas can also be worked out by others within an organization as long as they are good. if your the only one who likes your idea, then its hard.

Feel free to join Tranquility and i will promise you we will listen to your ideas and see if we can add your distinctiveness to our own. 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:41 AM, Lethys said:

Probably not. You need a lot of material for that so you need to mine it all by yourself. Then you need to craft all the elements you need which takes time too. Then you need to have the appropriate skills to even build or place said elements and cores. 

That said, it may be possible for you to do this on your own but I would expect you would need months to years to accomplish that. 

And yes, there are safezones where noone can attack you 

You understand that lot of people will never play the game if its like that? The majority of player are casual, have family, work and cant play so much. Lot of people want to do there own things, because they paid the game for that, and not play for other like i already said... lets just pray the game will be for casual and solo player too, because we are a lot!

On 6/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, Aaron Cain said:

there is always room for casual players who only play 10 hrs a week, maybe not in all organizations but in Mine there is. And i also think there is room for your own ideas, its just how to plan them together. Even a casual player can have an impact, it only takes more time if he/she wants to do it all alone, but your ideas can also be worked out by others within an organization as long as they are good. if your the only one who likes your idea, then its hard.

Feel free to join Tranquility and i will promise you we will listen to your ideas and see if we can add your distinctiveness to our own. 

I will remember you when the game is on Beta (i have access to alpha actually, but i dont understand a lot it...) if you have discord, lets talk in private message to add me.

2 hours ago, CaptainGeek said:

You understand that lot of people will never play the game if its like that? The majority of player are casual, have family, work and cant play so much. Lot of people want to do there own things, because they paid the game for that, and not play for other like i already said... lets just pray the game will be for casual and solo player too, because we are a lot!

I wouldn't worry about casual players at all - you will make friends and you will find similar minded players so it should be easy, there will be organizations that will help such players, there will organizations that will allow you to join them as it is really social game, that's why asking for casual player to be able to build cities alone makes very little sense, city must be serious accomplishment and be done in a huge group, there definitely will be such projects and you can always join any of them. 

Also if you are willing to spend real money on DACs and sell them in-game to other players then I expect even you alone can build a huge city, just buy all resources you need and go straight to building, it might not be cheap but it will definitely be possible even for casual players. Also more money in-game you have more players you can hire to help you effectively putting you in control of huge player group, same as big organizations without being in any :)

4 hours ago, CaptainGeek said:

Well that depends what you want to do and achieve. If you find an org which accepts you (and yes, there are plenty who take casuals) and you play with them on a casual basis then you can take part in building some huge ass thing. But if you want to build that same thing ALONE then you will need months and years as stated. It's a mmo after all - teamwork is rewarded. You simply can't ask for casual solo players to be treated the same as huge orgs. 

That doesn't mean you can't do nothing - you just have to stay with smaller sized things. That doesn't mean such constructs are useless, not useable or any less than a bigger construct. 

I expect DU to have plenty of opportunity for the casual games. Obviously those who invest time and effort will see greater rewards and be able to more shape their own existence and presence in the game than a casual gamer but I do not see why there could not be room for both at all.

Overall, I think DU will give you back what you put in. Playing casually really will not put you in a position to be decisive or leading in any way, that takes a lot of time and effort. You can definitely find a place doing what you enjoy with a supportive group even when you go (mostly) solo. In the end it all depends on what you choose to make of your time in game.

• 2 weeks later...

With the introduction of industry, getting to a position where you can craft everything yourself will, like Lethys said, take months or even years. It's definitely leaning towards an team based play-style where everyone has a role and you rely on your team mates to enable you to have access to everything available. 

This does pose a question which has been playing on my mind about safe zones on Alioth. I doubt the whole of Alioth will be a safe zone, but surely there cannot be PVP near marketplaces. 

If there is an area around a market place where PVP is forbidden, does this reduce the ability to place a sanctuary territory unit?? 

There will certainly be sanctuary moons, where PVP is off the table - but the casual player will have the tough task of getting there before they can start their peaceful base building. 

Safe zone is planned around 20km radius around Arkship, also if devs will stick to their plans then STU will work only on sanctuary moons and not on planets while normal territory units will work on planets as well as on sanctuary moons, so nobody should be able to claim any tile on Alioth immediately before they craft/buy territory units.

As for single players then there will be ways to be very efficient even if you hate everyone and insist on playing always alone, however, it makes so little sense to play single shard MMORPG games alone that I don't even want to get into that. The whole reason to play subscription based MMO is to find like minded players, make friends, and have fun together - it is social game in the first place and everything else comes after that, otherwise why not play Space Engineers or Empyrion. Well, technically ,you can play DU as solo game if you mostly stick to different safe zones, treat all players around as NPCs and do not care about big picture :)

18 hours ago, spaceforger said:

Safe zone is planned around 20km radius around Arkship, also if devs will stick to their plans then STU will work only on sanctuary moons and not on planets while normal territory units will work on planets as well as on sanctuary moons, so nobody should be able to claim any tile on Alioth immediately before they craft/buy territory units.

So as part of our pledge package we get STU but not any normal territory units? These will have to be crafted or bought. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that 20km radius includes most of the other districts? As I can't image fighting going on right on the doorstep of a market place. 

Do you think it'll be possible to purchase land outside a district with this model? Or do you think it will no longer be possible to build outside a market place?

I have become very comfortable on the doorstep of a market place and would hate to have to relocate further out! 

1 hour ago, Actimist said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that 20km radius includes most of the other districts? As I can't image fighting going on right on the doorstep of a market place. 

What districts? (Mind you NDA!) At launch there's the arkship, maybe a market there and nothing more. Everything has to be built by players

Yeah, before the game goes live all will be wiped, we will spawn in pretty arkship and market should be there, rest will be up to players.

You will have 2 options - craft TU by yourself or find similar minded players who do not want to listen to anyone and just build stuff and claim a tile for all of you and just divide it between yourself. Second option is to do your thing and when you can fly to sanctuary moon claim there with your STU and play there. It will be first come first serve, so huge orgs will claim first, then smaller and then rest mortals ;)

On 7/4/2019 at 11:22 PM, spaceforger said:

As for single players then there will be ways to be very efficient even if you hate everyone and insist on playing always alone, however, it makes so little sense to play single shard MMORPG games alone that I don't even want to get into that. The whole reason to play subscription based MMO is to find like minded players, make friends, and have fun together - it is social game in the first place and everything else comes after that, otherwise why not play Space Engineers or Empyrion. 

I can argue with that. Both Space Engineers and Empyrion have serious performance issues when it comes to large constructs. Also both of them have lack of building possibilities - Space Engineers has less decorative blocks, but a bit more options for 'moving' parts, as it have rotors/pistons etc; Empyrion has a bit better design possibilities, but other mechanics are pretty simple. 

DU has much more design possibilities, as it provides better level of details and does not limit size of voxels to 'small' and 'large' without possibility to combine both. So even being MMORPG just in terms of building it provides much more options and as it doesn't have offline mode - many people would play solo, avoiding other players just to save their creations. 

Also playing sandbox MMO is not always about communication, some people may want just to see what other people build and show their own creations without direct interaction :)