Without breaking the NDA...

captainpanama

What can you tell me about shipbuilding atm. Is it better for shipbuilding than Empyrion or Space Engineers in terms of blocky designs?

I'm really interested in this game and would love to pledge, but spending $120 just to log in to a game that will let me build ships as blocky as Empyrion or Space Engineers will not be for me. The only reason I will play this game is to become a starship builder, making cool flyable looking ships and even meddling with LUA if necessary to achieve what I want.

I think in terms of just raw modelling (not in game ship mechanics because it really it's subpar to space engineers) Empyrion is, in my opinion, the best ship modeller out there. With that said, will I be able to make ships right now better that what you can do with Empyrion? Technically speaking is there a feature to make edges rounded (smoothing the edges to make a bevel like in a polygon edge). I have attached an image to explain myself better. 

Best regards,

CP.

luminaris.jpg

Look at their YT videos about shipbuilding, the ship contest and the outpost contest. Also, they have quite some pics on twitter of player built ships. That should give you an idea of what ppl do 

Based on what we know from dev blogs and official YT videos, the voxels in DU are smaller then Space engineers and (I think) Empyrion.  So that allows for more detail.  But more importantly DU's voxels can take on far more advanced shapes.  I haven't played Empyrion or Space engineers but from what I've seen it looks like you're sort of limited to building one block at a time, like Minecraft, except with more advanced block shapes.

With DU's voxel engine, you are still working with voxels, which are essentially blocks.  But each voxel has the potential to take on thousands of different shapes, and using the building tools you can create large custom shapes like spheres, curves and slopes, made up of many voxels working together.

The building tools you can see in use in the YT videos are still an early version too, and will hopefully be improved a lot in the future.  There isn't anything like a "bevel" tool yet.  But it's conceivable that you could create a curved shape using the sphere tool, and then copy/paste a piece of it over and over to create a straight bevel.  

The voxels in DU probably have the potential to create a ship just like the one in your picture, it's just a matter of figuring out how to get the voxels into that shape.

@captainpanama  I share you're sentiments, but I think Novaquark is headed in a good direction. The current tools, and builds we've see are already really good. Keep in mind that they are still developing and refining the voxel tools. Like the ability to edit the control points of voxel shapes is on the Trello todo list. Trello: Voxel Control Points

I also did a thread on ways Novaquark could expand on their current tools: Voxel Shapes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, Atmosph3rik said:

Based on what we know from dev blogs and official YT videos, the voxels in DU are smaller then Space engineers and (I think) Empyrion.  So that allows for more detail.  But more importantly DU's voxels can take on far more advanced shapes.  I haven't played Empyrion or Space engineers but from what I've seen it looks like you're sort of limited to building one block at a time, like Minecraft, except with more advanced block shapes.

With DU's voxel engine, you are still working with voxels, which are essentially blocks.  But each voxel has the potential to take on thousands of different shapes, and using the building tools you can create large custom shapes like spheres, curves and slopes, made up of many voxels working together.

The building tools you can see in use in the YT videos are still an early version too, and will hopefully be improved a lot in the future.  There isn't anything like a "bevel" tool yet.  But it's conceivable that you could create a curved shape using the sphere tool, and then copy/paste a piece of it over and over to create a straight bevel.  

The voxels in DU probably have the potential to create a ship just like the one in your picture, it's just a matter of figuring out how to get the voxels into that shape.

I look forward to seeing just how much detail I can give to my ship.

• 2 months later...

I'm still very new to this, my initial experience is that the system is both very simple if you treat it like a simple block builder similar to starmade or minecraft. But things get MUCH harder when you want to make more complex structures and designs. Several days in an I still can't figure out how to do complex slopes for the life of me. I need a good tutorial for it.

I have seen some amazing things made in this game, and I can now completely understand why they are called volexmancy because I have no idea who you'd even start to attempt making such things.