Linux and China

Kelmoir

Weird title, but I couldn't quite come up with something more better.

The thing is the following: The president of the USA prohibited his companies (this includes Microsoft) to continue work with Huawei. I.e. news article on BBC.

Which might just be a single case or the first company of many. 

Means, there will be less or far less windows computers in the world, especially in China. As Huawei does also produce notebooks. 

Which all reduces the number of potential customers for an officially win10 only title. I don't have numbers, but Huawei isn't exactly small. 

Question being, does this change the relation towards Linux, as to try making it run there at least easier?

How would it change the relation to Linux? While I can see people making efforts to run Windows only games on Linux as they choose to use one of the menu iterations of that OS, its general market share is simply too low to warrant the investment and resources needed to support it. Market share for Linux user will need to increase with 4 digit percentage points to even be consider a viable option commercially.

10 hours ago, blazemonger said:

How would it change the relation to Linux?

Windows and OSX being banned in the PRC means Linux might be the only viable option for people within. Having 1 billion people switch to Linux I say is a pretty big deal. 

That being said, I doubt Dual Universe would be approved by PRC regulators, even if there is a separate PRC shard (making it a Dual-shard MMO). 

Since we are on the topic of Linux, Microsoft will be incorporating the full Linux kernel into Windows 10 later this year. I wonder if its possible to develop solely for Linux and get it to run on Windows 10 using the kernel or even the current WSL environment seamlessly.

WSL2 is a great development for situations where you need or want access to Linux tools/applications It's still an instanced VM though.

I'm not sure how suddenly a Windows/MacOS ban come into this as there is none. Also I think there is a 'slight' misconception of how this all impacts the ability for Chinese gamers to access and play Windows only games (hint; as it stands, it hardly does as they are 'underground'/using alternate access anyway for a large part). A much more likely fallout can be China imposing a ban on iOS products as it's like for like and this will seriously hurt Apple.

This sounds more like another attempt to shoehorn in yet another plea for Linux support, Nothing really changed there, as expected the hype train after Valve made it look like they were going to make a push came and went with no real impact. Linux as a commercially viable option for game development is non existent.

54 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

This sounds more like another attempt to shoehorn in yet another plea for Linux support, Nothing really changed there, as expected the hype train after Valve made it look like they were going to make a push came and went with no real impact. Linux as a commercially viable option for game development is non existent.

Yes it always is. It is never talking about problems that might arise in the future. Or having redundancy.

Just as I stated, I don't know to which extent things will change and what things will. 

And in case you didn't read, Huawei is essentially banned from using proprietary software made in the USA. Not that Microsoft or google like that, and there already was added some grace time, afterwards (which lends a hand as to how far-sighted that decision was). 

And I did not ask for linux support. I just asked about some feelings from the devs on that thought.

On 6/1/2019 at 9:46 PM, Kelmoir said:

Which all reduces the number of potential customers for an officially win10 only title. I don't have numbers, but Huawei isn't exactly small. 

As I know it's a bit simpler. They prohibited to include Windows OS for their out-of-the box builds. In other words you won't be able to buy new laptop with Windows pre-installed, but you can buy and install it on your own.

Yes, Miamato, I guess you are right. Guess, I messed that up with their mobiles, as Huawei also got their booloaders blocked, so that you can't easily install a custom OS on the Phones. But Laptops are still free there, thankfully.  And thus rendering my point moot^^.