Single Shard MMO

It's supposedly the first Continuous single shard, or "seamless" without any plot devices like stargates or jumps to go between different zones.

And you are in first person view, you control an avatar rather than a ship, you build you own ships and stations, you can edit the planet, and the galaxy is theoretically infinite. The list goes on

13 hours ago, Haunty said:

It's supposedly the first Continuous single shard, or "seamless" without any plot devices like stargates or jumps to go between different zones.

I believe there may be some stargates built by players, NQ didn't deny such thing, but it will be also possible to move without them. Though it's not yet clear how distant worlds would be implemented. Because as I remember initially world will be limited to one solar system. Then when 'technologies advance' people will be able to build FTL drives. Though I didn't find information whether it's possible to stop in middle of nowhere between two solar systems where no one can find you. 

12 hours ago, nzwoodturner said:

the galaxy is theoretically infinite.

From what I saw in dev blogs it will be extending under NQ control. So I believe it won't be possible to endlessly fly deep into space and find new and new objects.

It will always be possible to go midway solarsystems, just gooooooooooo and take alot of time to get there i think. Probably stopping is also easy, i guess pressing the button to stop the engines will result in a stop, taking brakes etc in account.

The other things you'll need to worry about with a non FTL (faster than light) voyage are things like Fuel and Navigational Accuracy.  Simply pointing your ship in a given directly won't be very effective  - we don't know if there will be things like gravitational anomalies that might throw you off course, and of course, carrying enough supplies on such an extended voyage could prove to be problematic.  

It --would-- absolutely be interesting to be able to try though :) I'd think you'd probably have to run things with other players in 'shifts' to keep the vehicle moving.  

15 hours ago, Lachenlaud said:

The other things you'll need to worry about with a non FTL (faster than light) voyage are things like Fuel and Navigational Accuracy.  Simply pointing your ship in a given directly won't be very effective  - we don't know if there will be things like gravitational anomalies that might throw you off course, and of course, carrying enough supplies on such an extended voyage could prove to be problematic.  

Though if you won't be able to get into point you've marked on map - all this voyages don't make sense, as you may be not able to return to your base. I'm talking about some 'bookmarks' or exact coordinates, you definitely should be able to travel at least to a reasonable range. 

I doubt there would be any complex anomalies at release point and probably first few expansions, as from NQ words release would be limited to a single solar system and only in few month deeper space regions will be added once server online and FTL travel demand grows. 

Regarding fuel - it's interesting thing, if the physics is correct in game, being out of magnetic field of large bodies you just need to reach some speed and then engines may be used only for maneuvering or additional acceleration. However I doubt a little bit it will work in such manner :( 

5 hours ago, Miamato said:

Regarding fuel - it's interesting thing, if the physics is correct in game, being out of magnetic field of large bodies you just need to reach some speed and then engines may be used only for maneuvering or additional acceleration. However I doubt a little bit it will work in such manner :( 

There are many game mechanics they could employ to allow for intra and inter-system travel within the game.  It's technically been stated that the world inside the game will be a contiguous shard...  To speculate, they could use robotic probes to travel to other solar systems to set up 'beacons' for FLT Hyperjumps... they could use 'gates' that you fly your ships through.  They could introduce space anomalies that you travel through (like wormholes in ST-DS9... wouldn't THAT be a cool effect to see if they did it right?) - or they could just intro a 'deep space scanning' methodology that lets you find stars outside the starting neighborhood on which you can get coordinates that you would have to 'warp-drive' to like in ST-TNG...  so many possibilities exist (and frankly I'd like all of them please!) that it boggles the mind.  They've done an amazing job so far... I'm loving the things they've told us about so far... I haven't thus far been disappointed with anything they've accomplished... and I would love to see more of it.  

It takes 4 hours for light to get from the Sun to Pluto.

So,  If the system is approximately the size of our solar system, FTL drives will be needed to get to the outer planets...    4 hours of watching your computer screen is really boring.

Unless the FTL drives are orders of magnitude larger, you wouldn't make it very far to the next star system, without doing something else in frustration.   My guess is, the only feasible transportation outside of the system is via jump gates.

From a technical perspective.....

64bit Ints can model every square cm of our solar system, but you wouldn't be able to have a coordinate system for an entire galaxy.  So, there's another reason to have jump gates.  Each  star system could be modeled on the X, Y, Z plane with 3 Int64_t variables.  It also doesn't make sense to model empty space between star systems.  It's a waste, even if it is easily doable.  I think "seamless" is a bit of exaggeration.  The jump gates will be the ONLY real way to reach another star system.

From a gaming perspective...

This also allows NQ to limit growth and keep the player base close enough to create conflict.  The jump gates will create a bottleneck which will create an opportunity for conflict.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I think "seamless" is a bit of exaggeration.

I think they mean seamless in perception of the player. 2 players could be on different nodes but still see each other as if they were on the same one. Over interstellar distances there is no need to be actually seamless because players don't interact with or observe things that far away.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:15 AM, Ripper said:

It also doesn't make sense to model empty space between star systems.  It's a waste, even if it is easily doable. 

simple solution, make empty less empty and make it a challenge to go there. Why not?

Also if whe make linkgates/stargates/ftlgates  bottlenecks we will soon be unable to pass them due to the debris of shot down ships. unless someone reclaims those or recycles them. Else we will look at earth style space debris in no time.

So, in addition to allowing "empty space" between star systems, NQ is responsible for populating  LIGHT YEARS worth of "interesting things" between each star system?

As a developer, I would do the opposite.

You want to fly into empty space?  OK... Have at it.  Here's the coordinate system.   BTW.  We will gladly take your DAC while you stare at an empty screen.  In a year or two, you might think about turning your ship around.  Its a LONG trip back to Alioth.  

You don't want limits on the game.  Fine..   But don't whine to us, when your expectations don't match with reality.

Reality..

Take a look at the billions of stars in the night sky.  Alpha Centari is the closest at 4 light years, but the vast majority are MUCH farther away.   But you decide to fly to Alpha Centauri...

Now, let's break E=MC^2, so that its possible to exceed the speed of light.

It's over 4 light years to Alpha Centauri.Which means a trip traveling at:

1C  will take over 4 years

2C  2 years

4C  1 year

40C about a month

1200C about 24 hours...  of staring at a black screen... to get to the closest possible star....  using a drive that is 1200 times faster than the laws of physics allow....  with BILLIONS of kilometers between you and the closest player.  Even if they were making the same trip to Alpha Centauri, because at these distances, being off by 1 radian will separate you by billions of kilometers...

Which you wouldn't know where they are, because of the vastness of space... 

So, there would be absolutely ZERO possibility of player interaction...

Very true, but still. If its there why not?  Not saying i would do it but there is no reason to block the options, if people really want to fly 3 years in the black vacuum of space and want to waste their cash, they should be free to do so :)

Untill we know anything more about space at release any real discussion is in the vacuum ;) 

23 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

Very true, but still. If its there why not?  Not saying i would do it but there is no reason to block the options, if people really want to fly 3 years in the black vacuum of space and want to waste their cash, they should be free to do so :)

Agree. What if I just want to collect 'enough' resources and go far away where no one can find me and just continuously build some space station, playing some kind of 'Last man survival'. 

Most likely FTL drives would be a little bit faster than light :D or just for sake of gameplay solar systems will be a little bit closer to each other.

And that's the jist of the conversation.

Being able to hide away in some remote place, where the odds are very small (not impossible) that anyone would find you.  I have to say, I get where you're coming from.

The size of the Alioth system will be big enough for that.  It's hard to comprehend the vast distances we're talking about.  A star system is HUGE!

I wouldn't be surprised if you could be a hermit on Alioth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 10:08 PM, Ripper said:

And that's the jist of the conversation.

Being able to hide away in some remote place, where the odds are very small (not impossible) that anyone would find you.  I have to say, I get where you're coming from.

The size of the Alioth system will be big enough for that.  It's hard to comprehend the vast distances we're talking about.  A star system is HUGE!

I wouldn't be surprised if you could be a hermit on Alioth.

Exactly. I consider this as a huge advantage.