detection skill, space 'radar'

klobber

Im not an astrophysician or einstein,

but I think that it is not easy to detect smaller things in space , and therefore I should better study this prior being able to detect

vessels in space.

Lets say, if i studied this for a while, i might be able to encrypt the signature that my machines detected 

and be able to decide whether it is a friendly or a hostile ship/fleet that is these 100000 miles away.

Would be a good skill for  harmless Tradercaptain or Han Solo, also it would be nice , if it would be possible to counter this with jamming the detection signals.

Happy Pirate can come in as queen mary , what a surprise. :P

Just now, klobber said:

[...]but I think that it is not easy to detect smaller things in space , and therefore I should better study this prior being able to detect

vessels in space.

[...]

That depends what your definition of "small" is.

We can track relative small pieces of space debris with radar from the Earth's surface already.

The warmer something is in space the easier it is to track. If you fire up an engine in space, you can notice that from accros the solar system (with a huge delay of course).

In other words:
There is practically no stealth in space.

2 hours ago, Takao said:

That depends what your definition of "small" is.

We can track relative small pieces of space debris with radar from the Earth's surface already.

The warmer something is in space the easier it is to track. If you fire up an engine in space, you can notice that from accros the solar system (with a huge delay of course).

In other words:
There is practically no stealth in space.

thats correct, but the heat doesnt show you what kind of object you found, not if it is hostile or friendly, 

and that might be the difference in that game.

So, my idea was meant to get  a SPACE-RADAR skill in game that can be trained, i just didn't express exactly what i wanted to say :) .

I haven't played yet, but I agree that radar could be useful, but IRL if you actively use radar you have already given your position away, so if that gets implemented it would be nice to let those in the vicinity that there is an active radar signal, even a single ping and you should know from where it was coming. Passive signals could still be useful as well as magnified vision in determining what something is, and as pointed out a heat source stands out in space. The Mark I eyeball enhanced with a telescope is a great piece of equipment that game developers seem to think about.

It bugs me so many games set in the future don't have magnified vision or night vision equipment. I can buy a pair of binoculars for $10 bucks and night vision for about $100, and get a really, really good version of both with a laser rangefinder for a weapons mountable version for under a $1,000. So in the future I have a magic gun or glove that can create a battleship, BUT I can't make a magnifying glass that in real life I can make in a BBQ pit with some beach sand?

• 2 weeks later...