Hows the voxel tools?

Bolliz

Hi, thinking about buying the contributor pack, but I need to know some stuff first.

Firstly im interested in DU because of the voxel tech. I was a huge fan of Landmark and it seems like DU will have equally sophsticated voxel building tools as Landmark had. So far ive seen videos on playermade ships, but how is the building on the ground? Can u claim a piece of land and build ur own house/base?

Is the building anything like Landmark?

Hi Bolliz !

Everything you build started from a "core unit", which limit the dimension of your construct (different size exists) and define if it will be a static one (like a house), or if it can move (like a ship).

As for claiming a piece of land, it will also be possible with territory unit, and right management.

I advice you to look at their Youtube channel, and more especially those videos (while keeping on mind it's pre-alpha footages) :

If you want to learn more, look for blueprint system and LUA scripting.

Because of the NDA no one can give you a direct answer here.  But you can definitely get a good look at the building tools in a few of the youtube videos.

This one has a bunch of building in it.

Dual Universe Asteroid Base Building Pre-Alpha Video (Long version)

When it comes to building on the ground one of the cool differences from Landmark is that the planets are made from a separate voxel grid from the one that you build with.  So when you're building you're working with a separate set of overlapping voxels.  And you can build right up and into the terrain without the voxels affecting each other.

So when you claim a spot with a Core Unit you don't actually own a chunk of terrain voxels the way you did in Landmark.  You can still edit the planets though, but you use mining tools, and the mining is permanent.  Terrain doesn't regenerate like in Landmark.

On 4/27/2019 at 3:04 AM, Bolliz said:

Hi, thinking about buying the contributor pack, but I need to know some stuff first.

Firstly im interested in DU because of the voxel tech. I was a huge fan of Landmark and it seems like DU will have equally sophsticated voxel building tools as Landmark had. So far ive seen videos on playermade ships, but how is the building on the ground? Can u claim a piece of land and build ur own house/base?

Is the building anything like Landmark? 

Without stretching the NDA too much... Yes, the voxels are very similar to Landmark, but different enough to cause some learning pains when you start.  The tools are different and a little less robust than LM 's were near the end of production, but also may have some functionality that LM's did not :D

The videos that @Yuuyake posted are the ones that convinced me to purchase a pack when i was on the fence still. 

Thx fro the input guys. Ive seen the videos before. Didnt think about the NDA was still in effect.

Hoping the voxel materials u can build with isnt exclusively scifi-ish. Would be nice to build something that is more in the fantasy direction.

3 hours ago, Bolliz said:

Hoping the voxel materials u can build with isnt exclusively scifi-ish. Would be nice to build something that is more in the fantasy direction.

Mmmh... I think NK have a really precise artistic direction, as they explain in their first podcast, and it doesn't look like they ar going that way.

Being outside of NDA, I haven't seen anything fantasy like for now... No wood, brick or stone wall (not talking about voxel, but something like defense wall).

I think we will be able to use the ressource as we pleased, and give our constructs a fantasy-like feeling, but component will be Sci-Fi.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 5:02 AM, Bolliz said:

Thx fro the input guys. Ive seen the videos before. Didnt think about the NDA was still in effect.

This is a boat i built in game and was featured in a community digest. 

• 2 weeks later...