What do people think of the current economic system?

Caesares

I understand the current system that is proposed would be setup and run by the game, not by a free market. Although I realize this is normal, and all games have some way of adding money into the game through non player activities (missions, etc.), I was wondering if anyone thought that a free market system, based overwhelmingly on economic decisions of the citizens not NPCs, would be a better idea than a centralized system which could favor certain businesses over others. 

Thank you

Money should be created by the players, just like real world money is created by governments (or bitcoin.) Then the civilizations that players make would matter to everyone -- can you trust their money? This is also the way American banking was in in the 1800s as the US expanded into the west. Much more fun to have players making money and banks and craziness going on with scams and pirates and tycoons.

The big problem is that NQ wants to have their own currency that can be exchanged for game time. If the official currency is safe... why use anything else?

8 hours ago, Wernstrom said:

Money should be created by the players, just like real world money is created by governments (or bitcoin.) Then the civilizations that players make would matter to everyone -- can you trust their money? This is also the way American banking was in in the 1800s as the US expanded into the west. Much more fun to have players making money and banks and craziness going on with scams and pirates and tycoons.

The big problem is that NQ wants to have their own currency that can be exchanged for game time. If the official currency is safe... why use anything else?

Fun but probably disastrous for the economy's internal growth. Exponential growth in the wrong direction is no fun either just a huge waste of effort by most and perhaps a lot of fun by a few. Bit like real world banking...

8 hours ago, Borb_1 said:

... a huge waste of effort by most and perhaps a lot of fun by a few. Bit like real world banking... 

New and casual players will be conservative and only work with the safest currency(s) which should make the governments try to be as honest and safe as possible, if they want more players. Serious players will have another game to play: foreign exchange and arbitrage. The "craziness going on with scams and pirates and tycoons" would mostly involve the serious players.

I think this will bring players together because they depend on the same money. It would be huge force in the game that makes governments much more important. Alliances will involve financial issues. It would also help players see other governments and other players as "other" because they're part of a different system.

Interesting proposition. The game in itself will be hard to understand for news players (protection system, global and local social codes, politic, geography, even history...). It's a lot to catch up if you don't join in the very beginning... Having the ability to travel freely with a unique currency will make things a lot easier.

But you can combine the two systems ! It will be more or less important depending of the importance of "local ressource", I think

Imagine a large asteroid field far from everything else, and mostly composed of a really rare metal.

On sectors far away, this ressource will be very rare and expensive => You will be advantage to sell it to the best auction, so in the "game currency", because you will have more buyers.

But on the asteroid field, other commun ressources could be scare there, like fuel => If you sell fuel there, it will be best for you to exchange it against the rare metal directly.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, Wernstrom said:

New and casual players will be conservative and only work with the safest currency(s) which should make the governments try to be as honest and safe as possible, if they want more players. Serious players will have another game to play: foreign exchange and arbitrage. The "craziness going on with scams and pirates and tycoons" would mostly involve the serious players.

I think this will bring players together because they depend on the same money. It would be huge force in the game that makes governments much more important. Alliances will involve financial issues. It would also help players see other governments and other players as "other" because they're part of a different system.

Possibly in time. But probably not immediately. The other issue is that with NQ as the effective central banker that can track everything, that's a critical developer function for a virtual world with a virtual economy - certainly to mature the economy first to a sufficiently robust place.

I do like the suggestions of financial gameplay (some cool boardgames of various types here iirc), but big BUT!

I've been working on a bot that will work alongside the in game one. Got the chance to poke the idea to lord JC. I'll make the bot have the users and factions make their own missions xD It'll gud stuff and this thread does interest me a lot xD