Merging Constructs.

Kemik99

My idea came from talking to a friend that is building a large ship.

Merging Constructs would be a nice option to use in building Modular / large ships,

Example 1:  you're building a large ship and you need more room in one direction. you can take a second Core, and "Merge" it with the first Core. and extend the build area in 1 direction.

Example 2: you could build modules and connect them to existing ships. A Cargo ship can pick up a Client's cargo Module attach it to his / hers ship and deliver it to the planet for the client. this would open up endless possibilities in ship and habitat construction. Instead of deconstructing a whole ship just to add more living space for friends, you can simply add another module.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I was also expecting this is how large scale builds would work. Modular building pieces you could merg via linking new cubes to a central cube. I was expecting to blueprint a room and then duplicate it and repeat it throughout a larger building. This is especially useful in city scale construction. 

It's nice idea, and I believe it was raised few times already. But most likely it won't happen in terms of merging grids and moving control from slave-grid to master one.

Though I think nothing is stopping you from building additional modules, rooms, etc. on top of existing base within core size limitation. 

Also from videos shown recently it's clear that it will be possible to dock a ship inside another ship. That's why at least problem with carrying cargo can be easily solved by having 'cargo' as some floating platform that can just get inside your freighter. 

The only thing that's unclear now - whether it's possible to build mega-structures. Though space bases from NQ videos were really huge, so I doubt there would be issues with size limitation. 

On 3/18/2019 at 1:58 PM, Kemik99 said:

My idea came from talking to a friend that is building a large ship.

Merging Constructs would be a nice option to use in building Modular / large ships,

Example 1:  you're building a large ship and you need more room in one direction. you can take a second Core, and "Merge" it with the first Core. and extend the build area in 1 direction.

Example 2: you could build modules and connect them to existing ships. A Cargo ship can pick up a Client's cargo Module attach it to his / hers ship and deliver it to the planet for the client. this would open up endless possibilities in ship and habitat construction. Instead of deconstructing a whole ship just to add more living space for friends, you can simply add another module.

Thanks,

Hopefully this is how it works out, maybe through some kind of device that allows you to combine the two constructs so as to avoid some serious issues that could result from combat-involved joining or merging. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If i recall correctly there was a q&A session with NQ where merging and aligning was discussed as a posibility after release but i cannot find it back. 

It should be possible in my opinion to merge and release dynamic structures and to align them, not to build the Enterprise but even simple things like freighters with "containers" or escape pods build into a ship that are actually small crafts merged to a large one, things like that.