no AVX = no go ?

Kirth Gersen

14 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

No one made that argument .. And again, your compare with predefined block based voxel games does not hold as DU is nothing like any of these games in how voxels are handled, can be manipulated and in what numbers.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:19 PM, yamisniper said:

Voxels need avx instructions they can't change a few lines of code

I somehow feel like I'm the only one reading the comments on this discussion.

Again, I dont say that DU doesnt need AVX. I said that no supporter could have assumed that DU is going to need AVX in the future (as the 3rd game in 7 years)  just because it is a complex voxel game. That is a very weak argument.

And 15% of the players and supporterbase is a non issue? Someone at ubisoft said the same, I'm sure he got fired after the disaster. 

I still havent seen any valid argument why it is ok for a game to cut off 15% of its supporters after the crowdfunding, just because their CPUs dont use a feature that 3 games demand. Seriously, that is the base argument behind all of this? People should have know that AVX is going to come? I bet that 95% of the players dont even know what AVX is.

21 minutes ago, Dereknor said:

Requirements rarly change so that 15% of the people who supported the projects cant use it, no matter if they got the power or not.

15%? 

You're the 3rd or 4th on this forum out of hundred or thousands of testers to not be able to play due to AVX and that sucks. So how come you talk about 15%?

End of discussion because YOU say so? DU requires AVX has never been the discussion. You are just out of arguments and repeat yourself. But its totally fine, you can end the discussion, you dont need to stay here.

15% are not acurate, thats too. Its 12%. Just look at the steam hardware survey.

And we keep repeating. It doesnt chance the facts and how the campain and the requirement has been made 3 years ago, and what it means for 12% of the supporters. 12% is whining? 12% is non-issue? Good luck with that attitute. I hope NQ doesnt share this attitute, or they are just going to repeat the disaster of Ubisoft. And as much as this situation disappoint me, I still like the game and the idea.

Can't find anything there sorry, just looked. A Link maybe to the AVX vs non AVX users?

Well as you've seen from the answer you got from NQ themselves: yes it's a nonissue because it's needed. There's nothing they can do about it. A solution? There is none. Have AVX or don't play/get a refund. Harsh? Yeah, sure. But they can't do anything about it. You can write essay after essay about it but it won't change anything - you still won't be able to play and AVX will still stay ingame (and yeah, I have no clue what it does and no, idc either xD)

I honestly think that they didn't think of that as a problem at that time - as stated by NQ all CPUs after 2013 have it. And as blaze said: no need to downgrade to "old tech"

I dont want them to change it, if they say that DU needs AVX, I totally believe them. I just defend against "you should have known that is comming, and 12% of people are just not important" arguments. Not against the argument that DU needs AVX, thats totally fine.

But the way it happened is why I think that a refund is very reasonable, specially for the early supporters. 

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

If you go down and click on the "other seetings" you can see the actual AVX availability of all steam users. Its 88% now. 

I really like the game, but I'm disappointed to be one of the unlucky 12% without any warning (I didnt know anything about AVX before installing the alpha some days ago). If I get a refund, its totally fine, and one day I just buy the game again at full price, but knowing I can play it. 

Ah yeah, haven't looked there, thanks. 

Oh I think everyone gets that and yes it sucks that you can't play. But I rly think NQ will do their best to satisfy you. Contact support.dualthegame.com - they can surely help you there. 

13 hours ago, Dereknor said:

But the way it happened is why I think that a refund is very reasonable, specially for the early supporters. 

It depends whether supporter wants to play right now or the main goal of early pledge was to get some 'special and bonus' stuff on release. There is plenty of time till release, I believe more than a year. So it may be enough time to upgrade PC just because for most people DU is not the only game to play and games become more and more demanding. 

Hi everyone, 

This discussion is going nowhere.

Everything has been already said on the topic and continuing would only lead to stir up conflict between those who think the situation is unfair and those who think it's normal to adapt.

To sum up one last time:

• PC Gaming industry has a long history of replacing/upgrading components in very short cycles (4-5 years) due to technological breakthrough, to stay up-to-date. However it's true that during the recent years, there have been less technological breakthroughs on the CPU side, reducing the need of replacing CPU. While it's a comfortable situation on many levels, keep in mind that it's not the "normality" but the exception in the PC Gaming history. The technological stagnation (at least CPU-side) for so many years is a first. At some point, technological breakthroughs will force you to upgrade your PC if you want to play games that will use the most advanced technologies available (unlocking opportunities that weren't possible before). It has always been like that, and it will continue to be like that (even if it will be at a slower pace).

• It's true that AVX instructions requirement weren't specified during the Kickstarter campaign. It has been a miscommunication on our side as it was decided from the beginning to use them (these instructions help A LOT regarding performances in a full voxel-based environment) and we recognize that. That's why it's a legitimate reason to contact the Customer Support for a refund. However, we think it's a mistake to see the situation just as "I won't change my PC rig just for Dual Universe", because sooner or later, other games will ask you to have a more recent hardware. It's just a matter of time. If it's not AVX instructions, it could be something else.

There was no intention of deceiving or trapping backers here. The dev team genuinely thought that, by the time Dual Universe will be released, CPUs from 2012 or older will be replaced by gamers with more recent ones, especially as the team never marketed Dual Universe with low end specs (even during the Kickstarter). That being said, if you plan to keep an old CPU from before 2012  at least two more years, and don't plan to play DU because of that, that's totally your right and you should contact our Customer Support.

Now the topic is going to be closed as the original question has been answered in detail, and repeating arguments again and again will add nothing constructive on the topic.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.