Tech Achievement: 30,000 Concurrent Simulated-Players Milestone Reached!

NQ-Nomad

Hi guys, 

On March, 6th, we organized a special stress-test with thousands of simulated players. Our objective was to showcase our unique server technology and test it under live conditions! Dozens of human Alpha players were invited and participated as well, as witnesses of the event. You can discover the details on the news here

Don't hesitate to comment below!

Cheers,

The Novaquark Team

30,000 simulated players all across the planet, my my my... It would be nice to see it scaled up to all in one area.

Hopefully a future stress test can up the ante with thousands of dynamic constructs. I'm curious to see how things have improved since that city building project we had around this time last year.

5 hours ago, NQ-Nomad said:

Hi guys, 

On March, 6th, we organized a special stress-test with thousands of simulated players. Our objective was to showcase our unique server technology and test it under live conditions! Dozens of human Alpha players were invited and participated as well, as witnesses of the event. You can discover the details on the news here

Cheers,

The Novaquark Team

Just a simple question - during the simulation, did you just spawn 30k avatars with random movement trajectories or did you simulate 30k externally connected clients with network load simulation and server-client synchronization check? 

22 hours ago, NQ-Nomad said:

Hi guys, 

Cheers,

The Novaquark Team

Quite "incredible" when it is also combined with the other technologies as well as one can see from the video: the realized spheroid planets of voxels, the constructs (is that the scene of the snow castle from inception?) Inner space suddenly looks very large.

It would seem that this result is the result of good decisions and hard work made by NQ team. Good going and keep on going.

20 hours ago, DarkHorizon said:

30,000 simulated players all across the planet, my my my... It would be nice to see it scaled up to all in one area.

Pretty much, yes.. Having 30K bots spawn in across a planet really is not that much of a deal. Now, get them all in the same general area, say within a 2KM radius and we're talking..

21 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Pretty much, yes.. Having 30K bots spawn in across a planet really is not that much of a deal. Now, get them all in the same general area, say within a 2KM radius and we're talking..

JC provides more (high level) context here: https://medium.com/@jcbaillie/dual-universe-redefines-the-meaning-of-massively-multiplayer-with-over-30-000-a04c0e8b4106

He mentions it's not fully comparable to EVE's large battles (high interaction load) of ~6k but on the other hand 30k headless clients (although again not necessarily testing the full wilds of the internet) makes for "ecosystemic / network effect " scaling up on player interaction + persistence change.

Namely, boardgames as a form of small group game are very effective mediums. Whereas networked computers imo have not really pushed (certainly graphically) what is achievable at much larger game number of players that is possible. DU is heading in that direction which is good.

I'd disagree with the definition of metaverse but it certainly ticks the "flash" coinage needed to sell the idea so not going to get into flame wars over cross-purposes!! ?

As a first massive test with 30.000 chars across alioth, this certainly points in the right direction. This is the foundation for all future tests so I agree it's a really good milestone. 

The next step now is interacting in a large scale with mining, production, flying, building and ofc pewpew once implemented 

The test is useful for the back end and to establish a 'max viable' number for how many players per node you can potentially deal with. Since the number of variables it takes into account is minimal there is not much that can be concluded from this test otherwise.

Say I can create and start about 250 VMs on the VMware server I run at home without much trouble. That does not mean I can or have the ability to manage that number of VMs under load or in an actual production environment, It also does not make me a VMware expert. All it does is tell me my hardware is capable of creating and then starting 250 VMs.

So IMO for eventual game play this test means very little, something which is perfectly fine as at this stage of development that is not really relevant yet. I guess what I am trying to say is let's take the test and the mentioned article for what I believe it is, a marketing/PR exercise with possibly additional value towards investors.