Pharmaceutical Industry and the benefits from it!

Kregon_Tempestus

In my humble opinion we will need to have pharmaceutical industry in this DU game the benefits will be huge mostly becose of the PvP-ers will be in a constant need for mediPens and other medicines.

This is just a rushly made example what I made (sorry its nothing cool or fancy but is a representation  in a simple form the benefits of the pharmaceutical Industry in DU game).

lM6GNfC.png

Edit/

And whit all this we will need also Hydroponic systems on a large scale to back up the Pharmaceutical Industry so huge benefits from this branches in the game. I know that out there will be lots of players who will enjoy in the farming aspect of the game and that they will be able to

earn a great amount of Quantas from all this!

x4ezwBk.png

!pEe5mFB.png

(To all triggered persons out there Yes, I know my english grammar is far from good but Iam here becose I game not grammar)

@Kregon_Tempestus I like and agree with this idea. I made a post a while ago about how plants/ flora could be a great addition to the the game. Plants could be a great source of building material (bio polymers), and Medicine/ Buffs like you've shown here.  So, I +1 this idea. That would be great for the player economy because its a consumable resource, and also for the overall game.

Also, did you do all the artwork? or is that stuff you found online? its a great visual example.

This is great, but there are some caveats. Most drugs these days are synthesized so large hydroponics plants probably won't be needed. Also, I think NQ has hinted that industrial processes will be complex and lifelike, so the same should apply for biochemicals. For instance, this is how you make aspirin.

http://www.lahc.edu/classes/chemistry/arias/exp%205%20-%20aspirinf11.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjX0tmU-sHgAhVlm-AKHQm0BJAQFjAIegQIDRAI&usg=AOvVaw2L4VwSJh1Qp3BOXYf15VtD

13 hours ago, Kregon_Tempestus said:

Yes, I know my english grammar is far from good but Iam here becose I game not grammar

Your writing-style is almost identical to mine :)

After reading it, it reminded me of my consistent writing-style.

My spoken English is not that good (it takes me time to formulate my verbal-speech. In terms of listening-comprehension, I understand everything I hear initially). In regards to writing, we can both write very good in quality (I can write way better than I can verbally speak). It takes me a lot of time to write (way longer than a native English speaker), and I use Google Dictionary (for English) very often for word-choices all the time. I actually find it hard to write because of the mental-effort and time required for me to write even a simple paragraph.

The same case I experience with Chinese, Filipino, Korean. I know these languages almost like English! I have good grasps of their grammar, I can comprehend them instantly both from reading and listening, but I speak and write in snail's pace using these languages. I write too formal as well, and I can't write without using a Dictionary for word-choices.

Great idea.  Yes, the ability to craft pharmaceutical and biotechnological items should definitely be included in the game.  How could it not, with all the intrepid exploration into unknown environments and potentially dangerous discoveries that will be going on -- not to mention all the military campaigning and political shenanigans that I’m sure will be rife in DU?

Biotech & Pharmaceuticals

Maybe this is a bit too ambitious, or incompletely thought out, but I was thinking about the Op’s post and my mind just started to run with it.  I would like to see Novaquark create a large, reference library of flora and fauna in the game from which other plant and animal life could be procedurally generated to inhabit other worlds.  Each animal or plant organism would come with its own unique set of individual biochemical properties that combine to form the whole plant or animal.  When these ingredients are combined with other substances (organic or synthetic), this may or may not create useful compounds with a variety of biochemical effects, including buffing, de-buffing or damage repair effects on the player in the game. 

So, in this simplified example, 'plant life A' comes with a set of biochemical attributes, made up of individual biochemical properties.  For example: plant A is made up of individual biochemical property 1 + individual biochemical property 2 + individual biochemical property 3 + individual biochemical property 4.  Plant life A, as a whole organism, has a biochemical property value of 10 (1+2+3+4).  Either players could try combining the entire organism’s biochemical properties (10) with other substances to see what happens, or they could try mixing its individual biochemical properties (1, 2, 3 or 4), or a combination of them (e.g. 1 and 4) with another substance to see what happens.  I just used numbers to illustrate the point.  The actual properties of plants, animals and other substances in the game would be more interesting.  Players and organizations would be able to purchase (expensive) lab equipment in the game in order to manipulate these substances.

Some discoveries would be easier to discover than others.  Some discoveries require no discovery at all and would allow players to create familiar crafted items, like drinking water, for example (if they have the equipment).  Players would be provided with a small database of known craftable items (uploaded into their enviro suit’s onboard computer) that can be crafted if you have all the constituent ingredients.  If a player also had the equipment, he could synthetize hydrogen and oxygen atoms, and combine them to form water.

Other discoveries would be composed of many disparate elements whose chemical properties are as yet unknown, located far and wide across infinite space. You would also have to combine them in specific ways (e.g. 1 part [substance 1], 2 parts [substance 2], 5 parts [substance 6]).  Some discoveries like this could turn the tide of wars and be a deciding factor in geopolitical power struggles.  Rare texts for the preparation of some compounds may be found, since there are rumors of older, more advanced, alien races that were thought to have occupied or passed through certain areas of space.  Those texts would themselves be extremely valuable. 

So, for example, say explorers discover an ancient text with instructions on creating a particular compound, derived from the combination of certain individual chemical elements from several rare species of alien plants, located on different planets --some of them very remotely located and difficult to reach.  They sell the text to one particular organization (and make a very handsome profit on the sale).  The plants are eventually located, gathered and combined, as per the alien text’s instructions.  This compound could exert one of any number of effects, from mending serious injuries at an accelerated rate, to increasing a player’s tolerance for higher G-force levels when performing stressful aerial maneuvers.  Without it, a player would black out.  The compound could be applied in one of several ways: either via a spray, via injection, or by taking a tablet.  Players would, of course, see the appropriate animation corresponding to the manner of ingestion, along with some kind of visual effect and/or diagrammatical indicator on the screen to tell you it is now activated in the body. 

Patents

A player or organization could then submit an application to the closest Regional Patent Authority (RPA) for the jurisdiction of space in which the application is submitted.  Patents for any sort of crafted item would be assigned to an entity’s merchant I.D.  Each market region has its own patent authority, which is an NPC run organization that has access to a database of all the patents that have been issued so far in all the market jurisdictions that it oversees.  If granted, the patent would be exclusively attached to the merchant I.D. of the player or organization making the application, and they would receive an electronic document guaranteeing them the exclusive right to manufacture and sell the invention for a limited amount of time in that particular market jurisdiction before the patent expires (it would be a decent amount of time).  Patents covering larger markets (i.e. more than one market jurisdiction would become progressively more expensive the more market jurisdictions you want to gain a patent for.  A patent would not be required to sell things on the market but it would protect your ‘first discoverer’ intellectual property rights and lock other people out from manufacturing it for themselves, therefore possibly taking jurisdiction market share that rightfully belongs to you.

Private Deals

Alternatively, the discovery (in this case, the compound) could be traded privately, face-to-face.  This sort of trade does not require a patent or even a merchant I.D, just a contract.  Imagine, a travelling merchant sells the newly synthesized compound to a contact he has in one of two organizations that are locked in a bitter military power struggle for regional domination.  Or maybe he sells it to both organizations.  After all, he’s most likely just in it for the money and if the two sides stay deadlocked, this will only be good for his business).  You would only need a merchant I.D if you wanted to sell something on the official markets.

Merchant I.D

All organizations and players would be assigned one merchant I.D. when they first enter the game.  All official market-based transactions would be connected to your merchant I.D.  Without one, you would not be able to trade on the official markets.  Merchant I.Ds, however could be suspended.  That’s the disadvantage of being an outlaw.  As a slight restraining mechanism on player or organization behavior, if a player or organization were to develop a reputation as an outlaw, they could have their merchant ID suspended until fines are paid.  Repeat offenders would typically find themselves repeatedly locked out of the market system.  To compensate, however, a black market would probably spring up somewhere.  So, each player or organization would be assigned one merchant I.D.  Although players could choose whether or not they wish to connect their merchant I.D to any particular blueprints, crafted items they create, or any off-market contracts they enter, it would automatically be assigned for any transactions they wish to carry out on The Market. 

Market Jurisdictions and Regions

Now, I’m sure Novaquark would want to balance the need to reward players for their discoveries with the need to ensure that the market avoids becoming too dominated by a minority of individuals or organizations without some sort of counteracting force: financial cost.  I think it would be interesting if, instead of one universal market where everyone sees the same items and services available for sale (at the same prices), I think it would be cool if the overall market system (The Market) were broken down into ‘regions’, to reflect the cost/benefit analysis decisions of real-life businesses.  After all, as a business, accessing new markets costs money, and carries some risk.

These market regions would in turn be broken down into market ‘jurisdictions’, with designations like Eris-4 or Eris-5.  So, in this example, ‘Eris’ would be the region name, and the designation ‘4’ or ‘5’ would the jurisdiction.  The core areas of space around the Arkship, where players start their game, would be the core market or Ark Market.  Selling goods within the core areas would be fee free, but you would still need a merchant I.D.  If enough jurisdictions are created fairly contiguously, they eventually form a region.  So you could have a region consisting of jurisdictions belonging to different groups.   That would make for some interesting interjurisdictional dynamics.  For a jurisdiction to be created, players would have to venture out into areas outside of the core areas of space, into as yet unclaimed areas of space.  They would then find a habitable planet (or build a space station) and (after securing an area with a territorial unit, they could (if they have the credits) purchase a ‘market jurisdiction node’ upgrade for their territorial unit (an extremely expensive upgrade).  This will turn the territorial unit in a market hub.  Until you or someone else has purchased the upgrade nearby, you will not have access to the pre-existing hubs of The Market, because you’d be too far away and your area would not appear on the market system map.  Instead, you would have to travel to the nearest market jurisdiction and make your purchases there.  In other words, if you venture out a certain distance from the core area(s) of the Arkship, you will not be able to access the core market.  If you wanted to establish access to The Market, someone would have to upgrade their territorial unit with the jurisdiction node.  That would probably take time – depending on your resources.  Otherwise you’d have to travel to the nearest hub.  If there happened to be a little space between two or more already established jurisdictions, the game would just apportion the surplus space between each of the jurisdictions concerned, based on the volume of market activity in each jurisdiction until the jurisdictions were contiguous to each other.  Jurisdiction nodes, can be destroyed and replaced, however.  So adequate defenses would be required to protect them.

Jurisdiction Modes (Upgraded Territorial Units)

When a territorial unit is upgraded to a jurisdiction node, players are given the opportunity to name the jurisdiction. The game would decide when enough jurisdictions have been created to form a region.  That’s not to say that all regions will ultimately be of the same size, or that the establishment of a region would be cast in stone forever.  Military force, or political alliances could change that.  An existing market jurisdiction node could either be destroyed or moved to reflect new relationships.  The jurisdiction node would be prohibitively expensive for all but the wealthiest and/or most industrious individuals and organizations. 

The incentive to establish a new market in the first place would be that, once upgraded to a jurisdiction node, players or organizations would receive a small commission from every sale made on the market system in that market jurisdiction, which could potentially become extremely lucrative once the population of a newly established frontier jurisdiction reaches a critical mass (if they choose to go there, that is).  This would reflect the prestige of achieving this feat and reaching this position, and could also result is some kind of RPG-like boost to a player or organization’s reputation and standing in the game. 

Selling & Buying on Remote Markets

So, outside of the core market, new jurisdictions can be created by players as they venture out of the core areas into untapped areas of space.  To sell anything on these markets, you would need to pay a fee.  The farther out the target jurisdiction is from the jurisdiction where you are selling from, the larger the fee would be to sell goods in the target jurisdiction.  As I said, this would simulate the cost/benefit analysis decisions of real-life businesses, where accessing new markets costs money and means more risk (the farther out and newer the market is).  Players and organizations would have to weigh the added cost of selling items in remote markets versus the likely value of what they are selling, the size of the population in that particular jurisdiction, and therefore the level of demand for what they are selling.  This added cost to sell in more remote markets pays the commissions that market jurisdiction founders collect on each sale, in honor of their efforts to expand the empire (or something like that).

So, in having to pay a fee before they can access newer markets, sellers would have to factor in the cost of the commission to the market jurisdiction’s founders into their pricing decisions.  Will they absorb the cost, or will they pass it onto the customer.  If they choose to pass the cost on to the buyer, this would give more remote market jurisdictions a reputation for typically being more expensive to buy things on.  Then again, sellers may choose to absorb the costs and undercut their competitors to gain market share.  Something you also see in the real life economy. 

Market Access Cost Reduction Strategies

Alternatively, organizations, and groups of players, may choose to organize themselves in order to reduce the costs of selling goods in other market jurisdictions.  For example, imagine 3 market jurisdictions: A, B and C.  We have a ‘merchant A’. If merchant A wanted to sell his goods in jurisdiction A (his home jurisdiction), the fee he would have to pay would be smaller than if he wanted to sell in jurisdiction B. This because he would be selling his goods into the market jurisdiction that he is physically located in.  If our merchant wanted to sell goods in jurisdiction C, the fee he would have to pay would larger than if he wanted to sell in jurisdiction B, and much larger than if he wanted to sell in his local jurisdiction A.  If the merchant wanted to keep his costs down (which you'd think he would), he would have two choices:  1. He could travel to jurisdiction B or C himself and list his goods for sale there, but this would be impractical.  2. Or he could have contacts stationed in jurisdiction B and C while he remains in jurisdiction A.  Since Novaquark have said they wish to include realistic industrial processes in game, it would be cool if that extended to realistic commercial processes too, where goods are actually physically transported in cargo ships loaded with freight containers to their intended markets.  Organizations or groups could then have their contacts waiting in other jurisdictions to take delivery of the goods upon arrival.  Then the contact would pay the smaller local fee, before listing the goods for sale on the local market.  This would reduce costs, but (depending on the nature of his relationship with his contact), he may have to pay his contact.

Although the idea isn't new and have been brought up here from time to time, i totally support the farming for many things (the pharma industry among them) and reasons. In the end, nature is always absolutely important irl and logically this would be so in DU. Because, you know, we're not living in nature... more precisally we are living-nature itself, connected with everything....

The idea of farming and their dynamics and aspects, would be also very appealing in the sense of people would be more aware of how the industrial processes and a voracious goal of profit can be used (as in planet Earth) and would be surely used (in Alioth and beyond), as a powerful tool for domination and control, in many levels.

So, yes, it would be great to see these things (and having fun and learning also from them).