Crypto-Currency ?

PrTesla

Hi,

I imagine that there's a currency in the game for the economy.

If that currency was a crypto-currency (like BitCoin or Dogecoin) it would allow players to convert their in-game income into "real money" (and vice-versa).

This would be a big move for this new kind of MMO, saying "Players can earn money playing our game".

The Organisations would have a real GDP !

What do you think ?

(The only problem I see is the that you could "pay to win" by putting real money into in-game money but maybe there's a way to avoid this.)

Hi,

I imagine that there's a currency in the game for the economy.

If that currency was a crypto-currency (like BitCoin or Dogecoin) it would allow players to convert their in-game income into "real money" (and vice-versa).

This would be a big move for this new kind of MMO, saying "Players can earn money playing our game".

The Organisations would have a real GDP !

What do you think ?

(The only problem I see is the that you could "pay to win" by putting real money into in-game money but maybe there's a way to avoid this.)

Well you will already be able to buy DAC for real money and sell it for ingame money(pssst, i think its a bad idea.)

but we could solve this by you can only buy and you cant sell

There are good reasons why free currency trading is restricted in games. It created a near perfect money laundering technology for terrorists and criminals. Some have even been busted in Second Life. So avoiding a player withdrawal of trade-able currency is now normal. Novaquark is following that line. 

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoin the currency; the blockchain technology as many useful game functions including server-less peer to peer account archiving, anti-hacking measures that enable client side archiving, automatic player adjudication of transaction disputes. etc. 

Imho that is not a good idea. Why? Because people will get extremely serious about making money out of the game, and if credits have a value irl, people will buy a lot less materials/ships/blueprints, and limit their experience, their fun (and would limit the economy, that is supposed to be a huge part of the game). DU is supposed to be fun, knowing that you're using credits that have a irl value, for everything you buy (that you could have saved by doing it by yourself), is not a good feeling for many. 

Don't be so quick to write the idea off - what is DAC if not a type of digital currency, (which is how Entropa Universe operates), and that's not to be confused with crypto-currency. While I believe they (EU) have toyed with the idea of using blockchain to secure and verify transactions - this is mostly because they deal with real wold money in their economy. I for one vomit into my mouth a little at the thought of that kind of game, and I don't believe DU or NQ want to take that path.

However, taking the "bitcoin / make real money" bit out of the equation - blockchain driven markets using normal fake in game DU currency (not DAC's which are just another trade commodity in that sense - i.e. - you DON'T want to make a situation where the game is people mining DU "Bitcoin" rather than having fun playing) would be both doable and cool.

What is the point? One of the basic ideas behind the block chain is to create "p2p" transaction history. Something totally un needed in this game. Its an MMO with authoritative servers thats going to use (probably) traditional databases and logging. There is nothing to gain by using blockchain schemes other than nerd wankering.

the reason NQ will never do that is that there are immense restrictions about money transactions in europe and you have to have licenses, rights, can be sued if anything goes wrong, because you do not play around with money. You can intake money and manage it youself, if it doesn't leave your product it is not considered a currency as it is one-way.

If you can convert IRL currency into in-game currency and vice versa then that would make it technically possible to pay to win? if I can get in-game currency and buy an OP ship of some guy then that would seem unfair to others. Also, this can be implemented by a player business's it's not something that needs to be default in the gam,e. 

If you can convert IRL currency into in-game currency and vice versa then that would make it technically possible to pay to win? if I can get in-game currency and buy an OP ship of some guy then that would seem unfair to others. Also, this can be implemented by a player business's it's not something that needs to be default in the gam,e. 

My point exactly bitcoin is not a competing currency to the current mix of money technology. Bitcoin is a currency life boat to keep the internet going through a hyperinflationary crack up boom. The catch is there has been no boom or bust they have unintentionally busted the fractional reserves system instead. 

To the 5th person to suggest this, please study the words Money Laundering and federal penitentiary on Wikipedia to know why game companies run screaming from the room when people talk bitcoin. 

Block chain can do so much more than mere money. NQ should have a bitcoin account just in case. 

• 3 years later...