Game is based on monthly subs! Why?

LegolasXp

I was about to back this project up since I am really exited about it, then I saw this:

How much will Dual Universe cost? You won't have to buy the game itself, but there will be amonthly subscription to be able to enter the game. However, it will be possible to play for free by activating a 30 days time coupon (Dual Access Coupon) that you can buy on the in-game markets. You can also buy a DAC from Novaquark to sell it on the in-game market in exchange of in-game currency.

Why are you guys basing a game in monthly subs? Also what can we know about micro-transactions, looks like there is going to be this implemented as well.

Waiting on some answer before I am backing.

Thanks for the understanding. 

Servers cost money, its an MMO!!!

Yeah, that and continued development costs. Think about what it must cost to pay 30+ staff their salaries, not to mention all the other mundane bills. Still, I'll be truthful and say that I'm a little disappointed that it's subscription based. I've become accustomed to games like Elite and Star Citizen adopting different payment models. A sub based model has never sat well with me. This said, Elite isn't a traditional MMO and I think their server costs must be relatively low. And Star Citizen is just a funding juggernaut. If they ever manage to produce a playable game then I think people will continue to throw silly money their way.

Having to pay keeps a lot of riff-raff out, too. It makes your participation in the game more meaningful, makes you care and protect about your stuff more, and rage more if/when you lose it. Likewise it feels a lot better when you hurt "the other guy". Sad but true - schadenfreude is a part of human nature.

I was about to back this project up since I am really exited about it, then I saw this:

Why are you guys basing a game in monthly subs? Also what can we know about micro-transactions, looks like there is going to be this implemented as well.

Because subscription model is the best model. 

Because subscription model removes microtransactions. Now to be fair, the developers did say somewhere that they "might discuss" the "possibility" of an in-game cash shop. Personally I doubt that will happen, as in my humble opinion, that would destroy the game. And the developers seem too passionate about this project to do that. But meh, what would I know?

I dont mind cosmetics though I would not want a situation where only the nice things are in the shop.

Perhaps a situation where all clothes can be either purchased or crafted. I dont know what the best solution would be.

Though clothes might not affect gameplay I do concider them to be content. Its not an easy situation to balance.

Because subscription model removes microtransactions.

That's why I am fine with a sub. 

If the transactions are purely for cosmetic stuff then...meh, you have the choice at least.  Good way for them to make money without upsetting too many and stay out of the clutches of greedy publishers. 

Personally I wouldn't want to buy anything from an in game shop but then I'm not fussed about my Avatars look too much.  Some people love that sort of thing.

Remain calm and wait dudes :) The Game will be coming out 2018.

The game must be first developed and nobondy knows how the ingame economy works. .. Maybe it's fun to work for our playtime.. perhaps can be integrated into everyday life and contribute to the fun , too :))

• Subscription pays for Server Maintenance, Customer Support, and Free Expansions.
  • Small % goes to profit, as it does for all for-profit corporations.
  • There are no "micro-transactions" in DU, however there are PLEX-esque (EVE Online) items you can buy and sell in-game that can be exchanged for 30 days of playing.

It is the Eve Online model .... which has been successful for over a decade.

For a given value of success. Considering the fact that they are currently adding a FTP model on top of the subscription model by playing with "clone types" because their membership keeps eroding, perhaps even Hilmar doesn't consider to be EVE successful anymore. After all EVE has been dying for many years... :)

IMHO, EVE is dying because CCP got lazy. 

10 years is a good run for any game.  Same static nodes, time dilation etc..nothing really revolutionary in the expansions...its time it all came to an end.

In regards to monthly subscription.....few come to mine.

* Server costs, developer cost, continued development and expansion of game.

* Removes many of the troll players from free games that don't care if they accounts get suspended.

* Removes other nasty type of funding models like pay to win.

* Allows the company to more easily plan having a better prediction of monthly income.

Yeah I don't disagree with you. I've been online a long time. I mean a LONG time (1986, when I got my first CompuServe account). I've gone from paying $6 an hour for online services (at 300-1200 baud, of course!) to free to play games. And while this is anecdotal evidence, there is a definite correlation between the cash you invest and the strength of the online community. When we paid $6 an hour, everyone was polite, online communities were rock solid, people helped each other and pulled together both in the forums and in the games. There were "bad" people too but usually they were the "honorably evil" types, playing in character but never, say, attacking newbs, etc.

Then the model switched to "flat rate" monthly subs... games filled with beggars who would do nothing but sit around begging hard to get items from players. People started doing dishonorable things "for the lulz", etc.

THEN models switched to F2P, and you could expect hackers, exploiters, griefers galore etc, on top of everything else. Needless to say communities and forums also degenerated into flame wars and trolling contests the cheaper it got.

While I'm certainly not proposing going back to a several hundred dollar/month hourly subscription model, I do wish to point out that there IS a correlation between how much real cash you have to put into a game, and how civilized players' conduct is in that game.

And this opposite works too, some good games have been destroyed by the cash-shop and the F2P.

There's a way to get around this and have a hugely successful game. Just buy 100 gold from me and I'll tell you how...

!!!!! :)

Paying €10-13 a month is like, skipping two beers every month at the pub (or one, or three, depending on where you live), and I surely will have more fun playing this game every month that i can have with one, or two or even three beers in a month.

It's amazing how much beer the dev team can buy every month with thousands of players.