NQ-Nyzaltar

Our KICKSTARTER is live!

Yup, it's around 1300 people are eligible for Alpha access based on their pledge on Kickstarter

And i think 1k is a lot of amount of Players for the Server in Alpha phase  ^_^

1,300 won't be playing at the same time.  

I sincerely hope they can get more than ~200 players rocking on the servers in the alpha.

1,300 won't be playing at the same time.  

I sincerely hope they can get more than ~200 players rocking on the servers in the alpha.

Uhm... the Devs could spawn 200 people and run them on one machine alone. They knew what they were doing with those numers of 1300 - 1500 people. If the Devs call for a server wide congregation at a certain time, they can assume a 60% turn-up on the time an day of the test to see if the net-code is working. It's an Alpha Test, not an Early Access. They NEED to test massive numbers.

Uhm... the Devs could spawn 200 people and run them on one machine alone. They knew what they were doing with those numers of 1300 - 1500 people. If the Devs call for a server wide congregation at a certain time, they can assume a 60% turn-up on the time an day of the test to see if the net-code is working. It's an Alpha Test, not an Early Access. They NEED to test massive numbers.

Pehaps I'm not reading this right, but I'm pretty sure there's a difference between alpha testing and stress testing.  Unless you have a link to some interview that states otherwise in your bag of Twerky Tricks, it is my impression that stress tests are run pretty late in the development cycle.  In alpha, I would expect that they're going to be testing the logic and playability, not so much the performance.  They'll probably try to run closed beta on relatively few servers, putting all the players on one when they want to test performance of a single server as opposed to testing the shard for seamless player clustering.  

I think when they're close to general access, they'll hold open beta events for 15-20K players, starting with all the backers who don't already have early access and offering open beta keys to the general public on a first-come first-serve basis, so they can test the single shard server farm under load.  Spawn 10,000 players on the surface and 10,000 more players on a vast starliner and have it come in through a stargate to see if that bogs things down when the load on the geographic server is doubled in a second.  Put everyone in the market and have the NPCs offer a big sale on hoverscooters to test the economic subsystem under a heavy transaction volume.  Give everyone a TU and a little spaceship and tell them to go explore at the same time, also letting them know they can get a second TU if they come back to the arkship during a one hour window.  Have everyone join an organization, disband it and see what happens to permissions.  There are probably hundreds of tests they can come up with to stress the different ways the runtime code interacts with players and the databases.

Simulating even 100,000 players on the server is not the same thing as stressing the network with 20,000 simultaneous real players being swapped around the shard servers.  And there's a limit to how many remote clients you can simulate without some very expensive load testing software like Mercury, and writing all those possible combinations of tests would be massively time consuming.  Much better to just let players be players and jack things up for you.

Alpha/Beta sounds like a great time to play and be able to mess everything up without any regrets!

Alioth will be like the wild west....

Alpha/Beta sounds like a great time to play and be able to mess everything up without any regrets!

Alioth will be like the wild west....

More like a dystopian future that just collapsed into the ground where chaos ensues.

I agree, they need to test massive numbers... it's a lot different running virtual boxes than it is actual players.

Heck, why even have players?  Heck, let's not have an alpha.  They should just run virtual players and call it a day :)

I also love to throw around randomly arsed percentages.

Alpha testers need to be limited, so NQ can monitor the server tech and of course to test it.

My guess is NQ will sell packages for Late Alpha Test, like Test 3 or 4, when they will need more people in the servers to test the tech.

Kickstarter is an actual Early Access in a way. The Crowdfunding pledge site will be more likely for the aforementioned Late Alpha Test (and of course, Beta test, depending on the pledge level).

Seems you where wrong here. The Alpha access will be the same one as the kickstarter access as predicted but us here in this thread.

I was involved in a load test in planet entropia. it was a treasure hunt in one of their museum buildings. One very high value trophy and a few piles of lesser loot. Over  200 took part and the handed out grenades and grenade launchers to up the lag a tad.

The lag was amazing I was running up invisible stairs in an invisible museum with random walls, pictures and bits of floor popping in and out. People running on air and rubber-banding like crazy. Stop 10 seconds so everything loaded in and you had ten people race past you. Yet someone found the trophy.  

Here is a latter stress test from the same game.

And this is a everquest  stress test. 

Density is the major variable.