Death of a spaceship

Daphne Jones

So I was talking with @Reaper07in discord about what happens in CVC combat and we came up with this:

The Problem: Stuff that breaks off a ship being shot probably can't float away from the core... so you could have a bridge just floating free with the crew standing there continuing to fight, using the engines that are still attached to the core.

Suggestion: Anything that becomes detached from the core should explode and be destroyed. This will keep the visuals looking reasonable even though it kind of sucks for the guys on the detached bridge.

Yeah. Core deep within voxels and right in the command and control area. As long as the crew is alive you can fight no matter what else has gotten blown up.

Deep within voxels because I'm assuming if the core is destroyed the whole ship would be destroyed, but maybe that's not true.

I thought about it too. I played with the thought of debris cores (not controllable and with a simplyfied physics and for bigger debris only) that may be simulated not by server but by client. These cores would have access for all to collect the scrap and are assigned and distributed between nearest clients for simulation. So sync is the same as for ships and like all other online games ping may be a problem.. While I believe voxel dividing to single objects is generally possible I see a bigger problem in syncing the exact division and all behaviours of the objects in time. ? Can not go further in this forum ^^ Anyway would be nice if fleet battles create big debris fields to collect ^^

My thought is that whatever is still attached to the ship's core after a battle would become persistent salvageable debris. Would it continue in the orbit the ship was in? That would be realistic, but it might be better for salvage game-play if it stopped in place or stopped not long after the battle.

As for the salvage mechanic, maybe you could use the mining tool to extract voxels, raw materials, and scrap in some combination.

Could you explain first of all:-

What does NQ currently say about Ship Damage and Ship Destruction and how they currently describe it as working?

The last I heard was that the ship would take on damage universally, and once that was zero the entire ship and players inside would all be destroyed together. ATST, damage could be targeted directly towards functional elements to disrepair them from working before total damage of the "hull/core" reached zero thus triggering total destruction.

Points to consider in the above:-

1. Salvage destroyed materials? Is this possible and how? Is it good for the economy? To what degree/proportion?

2. Will "holes be made in the voxels from damage thus allowing other players to potentially board spaceships for example?

So to come back to the OP's suggestion: Can components be broken off ships or is that already resolved under the idea of "Hull Integrity" metre thus "bits never become detached from the ship"? It behaves as a whole or else is damaged via either 1) Functional Element Component Individually or spread across these 2) Hull Integrity damage.

1 hour ago, Borb_1 said:

The last I heard was that the ship would take on damage universally, and once that was zero the entire ship and players inside would all be destroyed together.

No new info since NQ said ships will be 1 unit with no pieces breaking off.

4 hours ago, Borb_1 said:

Could you explain first of all:-

What does NQ currently say about Ship Damage and Ship Destruction and how they currently describe it as working?

The last I heard was that the ship would take on damage universally, and once that was zero the entire ship and players inside would all be destroyed together. ATST, damage could be targeted directly towards functional elements to disrepair them from working before total damage of the "hull/core" reached zero thus triggering total destruction.

Points to consider in the above:-

1. Salvage destroyed materials? Is this possible and how? Is it good for the economy? To what degree/proportion?

2. Will "holes be made in the voxels from damage thus allowing other players to potentially board spaceships for example?

So to come back to the OP's suggestion: Can components be broken off ships or is that already resolved under the idea of "Hull Integrity" metre thus "bits never become detached from the ship"? It behaves as a whole or else is damaged via either 1) Functional Element Component Individually or spread across these 2) Hull Integrity damage.

JC was pretty clear that he wanted weapons to punch holes in the voxels. It stands to reason that some section of the ship may lose its connection to the core... and then it either breaks off the ship or it looks really stupid.

That's the problem I'm trying to solve. If it blows up once it loses connection to the core, problem solved in a pretty cool way.

35 minutes ago, DaphneJones said:

It stands to reason that some section of the ship may lose its connection to the core... and then it either breaks off the ship or it looks really stupid.

He also said air gaps between voxels don't matter, will still remain 1 unit, and can even build that way. So yeah it may look silly if that happens. Creating structural integrity mechanics would probably be too taxing on server resources.