Ship's ladder element

Daphne Jones

Seems to work just fine in the alpha footage? Simple just press whatever up or down and you boost in that direction? The arrows are better than graphical elements. Imagine if we had a boost of air that could push us up and down in rl you'd not then put a ladder in front of you for "old times sake"?! It's like beds make little sense either, if you can put avatars in pods.

4 hours ago, DaphneJones said:

ROFL. No idea what your point is.

Are you replying to my feedback?

You said:

Ideally this would work like a pair of linked elevator elements. Stand near and press space to go up; press C to go down.

I asked a question that suggested the current elevator things in the alpha seemed to work fine, but it was a question to which you were invited to provide a further response? That seems to be "the point" doesn't it? 

Alternatively, it could be decorative, requiring a pair of elevators in addition.

Glad you found my response to this funny "for old times' sake". But like I said I did not see the utility. Are decorative elements necessary? Your comparison to magic, it reminds me of a famous quote:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke , "Profiles of The Future", "

Also if there's an opening for a ladder, you won't get stuck in an upper room with no doors if you crash, lol (yes. Really happened).

Oh? So they do have a functional use in case of malfunction or something? I'm surprised you did not mention that in the first place, then perhaps ladders a necessary and useful feature? I thought it might have simply been "can we have toilets in our ships?" type of decoration so held a contrary opinion to you (not a contradictory opinion). If it does not break the NDA then this seems the most pertinent reason. Sounds exciting.

@borb_1 Toilets on ships? Are you an SC player?

Due to the NDA I can neither confirm nor deny whether there's a toilet on my ship.

Decorative elements enhance immersion and RP. If you don't get that we really can't have a meaningful conversation since you are playing a completely different game than I am. If that's the case, please stay out of my way.

The ladder would be better if it actually functions. If it's just decoration with TP elements for the actual function, that's OK too.

Please don't run me over !

I am not attacking your idea (or your gameplay preference), but understanding where it exists within relation to all the other ideas. I understand RP'ers have been pining for "SITTING (Gameplay Action Animation) in Chairs" in many MMORPGs for decades for example and DU will attract RP'ers; with how sandboxy it is, especially for content-creators, and such props are helpful to that sort of 'theatre of the mind' gameplay. I hope this alleviates your concerns that I am somehow too obtuse to follow what you've communicated? But I understand the emotion to defend your preference - and again would wish you to know I am not attacking you or your idea, but contributing to it's value (hopefully).

But I am very impressed with how simple and smooth the elevator elements already seemed to solve the problem of inner-ship navigation by avatars between vertical levels. It works, it's simple and it does not require any tedious extra consideration - and is visually arresting and suitably SCI-FI (YMMV). If it is little extra work for decoration only then all good. But agree that if it has a functional use then it seems a stronger idea eg when the ship elevator element breaks or power-outs or something and good ol' fashioned ladders are fall-backs. This seems a stronger contribution of your idea, then in that case, imo. I do see you are attempting to solve a different problem primarily however. No worries.