Text-To-Speech api for AI (LUA)

Wicpar

Hello Dualiers,

You are building your new starbase, with a magnificent hangar, and other amazing things, and you decide to let an AI manage it, yet it is all bland and lifeless, but you just remember there is the Text to speech api!!! so you give life and activity to your starbase, hearing the resonant control tower voices in the main hangar (note it is pressurized ofc) 

I think it would be great to add it, there is an open source cpp lib for it: http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/index.html

it would be great if you added these sounds to the echo features for great spaces.

api bindings would be like:

(if user not specified, everyone can hear it)

speak('hello world' [, user]); 

shout('stop'[, user]);

whisper('come in'[, user]);

and

aimanager.setVoice(voice);

(or anything equivalent)

voices could be cosmetic goodies, with generic male and female available by default.

Hope you like it! :)

Well I'd love to access to the speech API, however I would prefer if the game tabs into the OS TTS-System.

I know it will be a lot of work because Windows, Mac and Linux use different APIs but I love my TTS Client "Brian" he has a Jarvis vibe :-D

i believe it is possible, but it is quite annoying to make cross platform libs to do the same, but differently on every system.... (macro hell... + dist instability in case of lack of features)

the ideal would be to import the voice only from the os, since the others should hear your voice settings, so it is distinguishable and varied :)

may i remind you the chat filters will be in place, and profanity should be reportable

Well, if someone is to start singing "lollipop lollipop, oh lolli-lollipop" I don't think the profanity filters will be able to do much about it :P

why would that be bad? no one hears you in space, and if you are in a station or building or base, just leave or go in an isolated room. if they handle pressurization, they can handle this too in the same hit, 1 hit: two bugs(or features, it's in essence the same).

why would that be bad? no one hears you in space, and if you are in a station or building or base, just leave or go in an isolated room. if they handle pressurization, they can handle this too in the same hit, 1 hit: two bugs(or features, it's in essence the same).

Only Landmark devs would call a bug a feature :P It's like the Cardinal Sin of programming.

"What? NO, it's not a bug you can alter the geometry of the voxels, ahem, yes totally intended. It's a feature " :V

• 4 years later...
On 9/7/2016 at 9:44 AM, Wicpar said:

Imagine this TTS thing on a random ship blasting tunes to everyone at the market.

Or a few dozen.

If something can be abused, people WILL abuse it, especially if they can 'harvest tears' from 'pubbies'. I was a Goon for way too damn long. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...