Realistic Building Materials

FireStartA

So far, I've seen a few in-game screenshots and videos posted, showing a sailboat sails in planetary orbit and escaping a planet, a medieval, stone castle on the surface of a pmabet with harsh atmosphere environment.

I hope this is just for the lols and will be possible only during the alpha. Will those be a thing, or inadequate materials won't fly or sustain harsh environments?

Search for dualuniverse on youtube,  they have lots of videos there. No player videos though, because of the NDA.

Well, it would make sense to gicw different Materials different attributes,  but who knows right now (NDA and stuff too).

Since the markets are player run, the best ships will prevail. While others might only be there for fun 

1 hour ago, Thor Vanguard said:

So far, I've seen a few in-game screenshots and videos posted, showing a sailboat sails in planetary orbit and escaping a planet, a medieval, stone castle on the surface of a pmabet with harsh atmosphere environment.

I hope this is just for the lols and will be possible only during the alpha. Will those be a thing, or inadequate materials won't fly or sustain harsh environments?

I'm more of a purist myself, the DU is sci-fi and should be more about this, at least as a student of world-building that is my preference for designs. But the voxel tech means DU is also a true Sandbox MMO as well as/before it is developed as a Virtual World MMO. Thus I am not sure I strict the genre can be made to be. We might see a lot of non-scifi stuff eg already a McDonalds has been made. Tbh, I think the fact it is a sandbox first will likely mean that there's FEW limits to what players end up building and creating. Various imitation recreations galore. For some reason there's a huge market of players who enjoy indulging in this sort of thing: It's a bit like our post-modern culture. In some ways it's good to give free reign to the total imagination out there inside people. There's enough space for different groups to recreate in their own image afterall.

But with respect to ships, I think the extraneous details will have a negative impact on the physics so they won't be as optimal which is good.

This is a bit bothering, but I guess a true sandbox suggests that. It will be a true (non-science)fiction charade soon enough, if for example cloth sails do not melt to harsh conditions etc.

Ppl should be free to fly their McDonaldses, but for short few seconds in real atmosphere before they get diamante or something like that. Or have your MacDonald's, but inside the dome or a huge starship you built and display it there. :)

I'm not sure what is wrong with a futuristic flying pirate ship ;)

It's obviously meant as fun and frankly it is not easy to build so will have provided some good lessons and experience building.. If I look at some of the contraptions and flying boxes some design I'd much rather see a flying sailboat to be honest.

Yep. That's the one I was talking about. It is hilarious, but silly at the same time, spoiling the feel of space 'civilization', the game is advertised with.

Would be cool to have those, they are work of art, but let's take realism into account. You can try and launch your wooden ship in space, but it will fall apart when the rocket booster kicks in.

Or if you launch it from the hangar of you carrier it will dismantle in a few hours form the sun radiation. Or you are free to build wooden sheds in the open, but gotta suffer consequences like someone being able of one-shooting it down with a railgun. Something lie that.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, Thor Vanguard said:

This is a bit bothering, but I guess a true sandbox suggests that. It will be a true (non-science)fiction charade soon enough, if for example cloth sails do not melt to harsh conditions etc.

Ppl should be free to fly their McDonaldses, but for short few seconds in real atmosphere before they get diamante or something like that. Or have your MacDonald's, but inside the dome or a huge starship you built and display it there. :)

I regret it won't have a strict sci-fi theme. But it will be a lot of fun to see how creative and inventive people are able to be and also how much enjoyment such creativity allows players to experience in DU in a single shard universe/game world. On the one hand, various sci-fi genre "inspirations" or "reboots" or "imaginings" (to use the phrases from the film industry to recycle content in new movies based off previous ones) of such as Star Wars, Star Treck, Warhammer 40,000, EVE, Star Citizen, Mass Effect and many more will also be an inclination for players too. So long as players rebrand and tweak the designs then they'll be possible in game too. ?

For PvP as said, ships will need to be designed according to more rigorous criteria and here hopefully the parameters will shape more sci-fi fun that is unique to DU.

6 hours ago, Thor Vanguard said:

Yep. That's the one I was talking about. It is hilarious, but silly at the same time, spoiling the feel of space 'civilization', the game is advertised with.

Would be cool to have those, they are work of art, but let's take realism into account. You can try and launch your wooden ship in space, but it will fall apart when the rocket booster kicks in.

Or if you launch it from the hangar of you carrier it will dismantle in a few hours form the sun radiation. Or you are free to build wooden sheds in the open, but gotta suffer consequences like someone being able of one-shooting it down with a railgun. Something lie that.

We'll have to resign ourselves to the fact there will be "Novelty Creations" galore in DU. They just won't be effective or useful or economical at the sharp end of the game. Thus it's not a bad thing for the major populations of players who'll enjoy this sort of "art class" aspect to DU. The good thing too about these "aberrations" (lol) is that they'll be talking points for many more people too in videos - again good for DU in total.

So long as it creates demand then it will fuel the harder-core side of DU elsewhere in the universe. Everyone (I hope) gains something. Interestingly in the age of Colonization, the histories of what the settlers took with them and whether or not they were adaptive to their new environments or not and how open to adapting their culture and social practices in new environments is fascinating subject matter. In DU we'll see a lot of people take a lot of popular culture with them inside the game as settlers. Curiously interesting.

What pretentious asswadd would make a flying wooden space frigate?? ?

On 1/3/2019 at 3:11 PM, blazemonger said:

I'm not sure what is wrong with a futuristic flying pirate ship ;)

It's obviously meant as fun and frankly it is not easy to build so will have provided some good lessons and experience building..

Yeah it wasn’t easy. The idea

that propels the idea of “sci-fi” is that it can an is rightfully different. Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Treasure Planet, 2001, Blackhole, Bab5 the list goes on and on. Build sci-fi as you see fit. This is a game that is building civilizations and if I want my corner of the verse to be space pirates or space hillbillies then I can do that. 

Build something because you can. Don’t limit yourself. Good news is there is a silly amount of space where the space pirates and the space Romans and the space millinials can all have their own areas. 

• 2 years later...