Get rid of the "magic" hand

lladnar

My post is about the emersion of the game. I believe that you should come up with an item to hold as a tool to build constructs instead of just holding your hand up. You could also use different build tools for higher technology. This would also allow for an easy to understand way to limit technology for gameplay and add new technology capabilities to the game as you implement them. Players could either start with the lowest tech tool or you could make a way to craft the tools, that way if you crash land on a planet you could rebuild a ship eventually and get back out there.

you have to understand, that the videos are pre alpha gameplay, if you are active in the forum you will encounter something called "nanoformer", which will be our tool for crafting etc. but just isn't implemented yet. It was never planned to do it with an empty hand.

you have to understand, that the videos are pre alpha gameplay, if you are active in the forum you will encounter something called "nanoformer", which will be our tool for crafting etc. but just isn't implemented yet. It was never planned to do it with an empty hand.

what he said

the rough outlines are in this lore piece

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/08/20/dual-universe-part-4/

Part of the point of this game is to rebuild civilization after Earth has been destroyed. It's less about leveling up your tools and crafting new ones, and more about constructing your ship to travel to a new planet. When they say crafting, it's not crafting such as Minecraft crafting. It's more to do with pieces of a puzzle that make up an engine, turbine, oxygen generator, and so on. This means that there isn't much of a need for multiple building tools.

On the other hand, it could work. If, for example, an organization uncovered an alien artifact. Perhaps our existing tool isn't 'smart' enough to understand and recreate the alien technology. In this sense, I'd understand the need for another, more advanced building tool. Another example would be a rare and valuable material. Our current Nanoformer may not be powerful enough to harvest this material, and it may require an upgrade, or even a new and more powerful tool altogether. 

Both sides make sense to me. Anyone else have any thoughts?

By the way, welcome to the forums!

You can explain any sort of system with sci fi hand waving the main point is to strike the balance between fun and challenge. My feeling is that how its described in the lore piece is a bit "easy" if you can carry massive quantities of material in your suit and produce anything via magic there is going to be little challenge 

It is a little too easy, I have to agree. However, this is a science fiction game. It's based more than 12.000 years in the future maaaan. By then, we would most definitely have more advanced tools than drills and hammers. The Nanoformer (the so-called "magic" hand) actually makes quite a bit of sense. As humans, our most useful tool (besides our minds) are our hands. So it makes sense for them to become the tool most used for construction. Heck, they already are.