Massive cave planet

Serula

I would love to see a planet with caves big enough to fly through possibly all the way to the core so you can get lost trying to get back to the surface. Basically a planet with like 30%cave and 70%matter. I imagine you could make really nice structures or cave cities in there and have a different challenge in finding and mining resources. It may not be very realistic but hey that's what games are for right.

Untitled-3 copy.jpg

This could be used extremely effectively by smart orgs, having your base far undergriund at a dead end, this would allow for orgs to fight very guerilla wars, and let them not ever be seen, theyd almost turn into dwarves, at least their values and style of building, this would also be useful, and make transatmo-void ships better, as they could retreat and not be followed by the bulkier ships that arent outfitted for this

2 hours ago, Deathwatch said:

This could be used extremely effectively by smart orgs, having your base far undergriund at a dead end, this would allow for orgs to fight very guerilla wars, and let them not ever be seen, theyd almost turn into dwarves, at least their values and style of building, this would also be useful, and make transatmo-void ships better, as they could retreat and not be followed by the bulkier ships that arent outfitted for this

Fun part about it is that if people do it, someone's going to train and kit out to deal with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_rat

I don't know about the extent of caves, but NQ mentioned in one video that the procedural generation will eventually be extended to "more" 3D generation - but post release at some stage.

Not sure that necessarily includes caves, but that's the state of the art. Post-release idea (back-burner for now).

• 4 weeks later...

Could create really cool underground cities/bases. 

On related note, what do people think about an idea of a hollow earth planet? Either have like 50%voxel and 50% empty space with one massive cave under the surface layer or even twist physics a bit to have gravity turn outwards and walk in the inner surface with some light source in the middle. Finding one could also be tied to some kind of mystery/story of the world that would eventually give an explanation for its existence.

I'm sure I stated this somewhere else, but in a video NQ stated their Proc-Gen (to create full voxel planets of variable size, biome, type and ore distribution and frequency - it can do all these), well they are able to create these rapidly, however along with the 3D generation (I think some of this is subsequently edited in by the devs directly) all these are subject to ITERATION and IMPROVEMENT techniques POST-RELEASE. So maybe we'll see some caves or more 3dness innately in planet generation but no time soon and no promise to what degree.

• 5 weeks later...