Creatures

STeelGear

Ok, long time ago from our time, colonists... and... creatures?

Yeah, rly, will be some kind of creatures in game? I mean some types how: mammals, insects, fish, alien.

1 and 3 - result of colonists work. I think people in future still need no-human friends like dogs, cats, fishes. Also animals for food (someone think organic better). 

2 - result of random events when ship prepareted to start. Mosquitos, fly, bees and etc.

4 - alien. I think, if planet can take on humans, she can have animals before they will come. Not every time, not in every planet, but still have chance. 

And 2 questions:

1) Do u think about this in game?

2) And, if (1) - yes, can u add (mb at less time before release) in game?

This has been covered several times, and I am sure that it has been stated by the devs several times that their will be no NPC within game that is not essential ( vendors later in the game for new players to get a faster start ect)

I think many of us would like to see creatures and even aliens in game but the real problem is server stability. It is something that the devs would need to look into much later into the games release and would depend on several factors. But they have so much lined up that I don't think it will ever come to be.

Actually, there won't even be vendor. As stated with my discussions within DUExplorers, venders early on in the game will be artificial players who don't even have a player character. When you go a market(I am assuming the Arkship Market), there will be AI that are either looking to buy or sell. Players can sell to that AI to earn credits or buy from that AI to earn credits. It's a simple system that ends up making it possible to put credits into the economy.

So, there are no vendors per say. Just AI looking to buy or sell. You can't see them or interact with them directly. They are essentially just there to make the market usable.

See DUExplorers here for more information: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/907-dual-universe-explorers-weekly-fanmade-roundtable-on-twitch/

Source is in episode 10.

The Devs have pretty much confirmed that there will be creatures such as animals and some kind of alien life forms to populate planets. However, they have also said that there will probably not be alien races that are as, if not more intelligent than humans. When I say aliens, all I really mean is lifeforms that are animal-like, but are new to us humans. (As we consider anything that originates outside of Earth to be...well, alien)

• 1 year later...

Will there be a method to scan and catalogue different species that we see. Just an idea. For the explorer type who are looking to collect what they have seen. I do understand that traveling to other Star systems will take time though and more star systems are added as updates come in.

The original definition of DU's "Starter Goals" on the Kickstarter page includes: "Alien Life: a few NPC creatures".

So, at launch there will be "a few" creatures to hunt or run away from...

I think there was talk about expanding the function of this feature at some point after launch, so that creatures could become a source of food (e.g. when "survival" features are added/expanded).

• 1 month later...
On 5-9-2016 at 11:48 PM, Lynkx said:

I still think for the MMO part of the game, later on should be introduced some NPC and Creatures.

not vendors, that would be left for players,  but some kind of enemy many players need to team up to face.

Having several 'NPC-Space-Bosses" in game to defeat: 

1. to defeat with only a/your Organization and there for to stimulate teamwork
  2. which can give cool rewards such as exceptional (parts) blue-prints or exceptional  materials
  3. and or some kinda reputation or temporaly buff (example: for 1 week 15% more resources when gathering)

16 hours ago, Enjoyvirtuallife said:

Having several 'NPC-Space-Bosses" in game to defeat: 

1. to defeat with only a/your Organization and there for to stimulate teamwork
  2. which can give cool rewards such as exceptional (parts) blue-prints or exceptional  materials
  3. and or some kinda reputation or temporaly buff (example: for 1 week 15% more resources when gathering)

I do realize that this is an idea chat and you are welcome to wish for whatever you want, just keep in mind that NQ has stated that they plan to not have bosses as this game is supposed to be about the actual people in it and not about some fake goal handed to you by NQ.

The only interest I have in this is flora and fauna of alien planets.  Just one more aspect to make an environment feel "alive".  Exploring a world devoid of sentient life will not be as gratifying as one that has natural hazards.  However, if such things will sacrifice the core game's stability, I'd just as soon go without.

Simple: If we can add it, we should.

I'm actually not fond of the MMORPG mechanics where you have a general level system and "stronger and weaker" mobs - I always found it unrealistic having to "shoot down energy bars", sometimes for minutes or a longer time when facing "boss mobs".

But then again, I prefer more realistic gameplay or combat mechanics, tab-targeting or not. If we do get to have creatures and other hazards such as "bandit NPCs", combat should feel "natural" in my opinion, however possible.

I simply think having fauna obstacles adds more complexity and threats to some landscapes where cooperation or creative extermination or containment methods can bring you forward - or keep you occupied. If there is no time to think about it now, the topic can surely be put on the table again once a large portion of the game is working as intended.

imo the only 'intelligent' aliens (as in npcs that would do combat with you) should be mysterious and extremely rare. Maybe there's a secret 1/10000 chance that when you use a warpgate while holding rare materials, the aliens intercept you and try to steal it or something (pretty much what they did in Elite Dangerous)

I don't think there should be a whole ton of aliens running around as cannon fodder, and I don't think fighting them off all the time should be a thing.

As for alien creatures, I think having a farm sounds like a kool idea, maybe NQ will make a goat that poops silk and you can use it to make clothing (or just sell it).

I think that NQ already knows what to do so that the planets do not look barren and dead.
I really hope that sometime after release there will be a variety of flora and fauna, animals / alienlife (not intelligent life) to explore. There would be many possibilities to derive useful knowledge for our constructions, e.g. if a player finds an animal with extremely strong body armor and then examines it to synthetically restore it, then to use for the defense of his ships or bases. Of course you would have to catch the animal first and depending on what you want to catch this will certainly be an interesting challenge. To finally produce it synthetically you need a machine / factory and the materials, which will again be a challenge depending on the rarity of the materials you are looking for.
All in all, flora & fauna and animals / alienlife would just encourage us to do more exploring the universe, at least that's how it is with me ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I do hope there are creatures and not all the same level, i hope there are worlds where you need powerful communities to beat, that people will have to work together to beat. :)

• 3 months later...

I'll just add a voice of support for having animals *at some point in development*.  I wouldn't mind if they weren't added till late beta, but I do think that the game would not be complete without at least some critters running around, some of which are slightly dangerous.  It would be fine if it turned out that we were the only highly intelligent humanoids in the universe, and all other creatures are just basically wild animals, so as to not get involved with any sort of npc space fighting AI, but that would be cool if you did decide to add it at a very later stage. 

Overall though, I don't think the universe should be riddled with hostiles.  Think of real life.  You go for a long hike in the wilderness, and you may or may not encounter any wildlife at all.  Maybe a squirrel or bird or other small critter.  If you're really unlucky, you might run into a bear or mountain lion, and that creature may decide that you look tasty.  So overall, I think that if creatures are added, they should be hard to come by in most cases, and that you really need to hunt them down if you want to have a wild caught dinner.

Then again, this could also really depend on the habitat you're in.  More tropical biomes have a lot more diversity and density of wildlife than say an arctic biome.  So I think if it is implemented, the frequency of animal sightings should vary by biome.

Again, overall, I understand that this adds a layer of extreme complexity that is not really a priority at this time for the devs, so don't worry about it right now.  I would love to see it eventually though.

I am definitely all for some wildlife on some planets just to help make them feel real.  Just some small stuff.  Nothing too fancy.

But I would rather they stay away from the whole No Mans Sky animal discovery game.  The problem that seems to happen is that once discovering all the creatures or plants or whatever on a planet becomes a game or an achievement then it has to be balanced.

Once the balancing starts it always seems to end badly.  Apparently most people don't want to spend more then an hour tops discovering all the diverse life on a planet.  So they have to cram so many critters per square foot that it makes the planets feel more like petting zoos.

Anyway I guess saying "don't do it like No Mans Sky" kind of goes without saying these days lol