Poll : G forces, should they have an effect on a ship's pilot/crew?

Anaximander

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like G forces to have an effect on a ship's pilot/crew, depending on the maneuverability/acceleration of the ship?

• Yes
    • No

"G-forces on ships and crafts? A perfect idea, although I wonder how realistic it can be made without putting the servers under too much stress..."

I agree with this, it would be a great idea, however the scope of the idea would be a rather large one, because, if you are flying around on a planet, wouldn't the gravitation field strength also have to be taken into account? (because of relative weight and mass of the ship ALONG with the weight and mass of any players on board(super nerd, ikr))

This would mean that there would have to be a way for the game to recognise how many players are onboard a single ship, calculate their weight and masses (if they aren't all the same) and then do g-force calculations for a SINGLE ship. An I'm guessing there would be a lot of ships about.

Unless I'm missing something really obvious, I think something like this would be a real strain on a server, especially as the devs are advertising it as "one big server".

I agree with this, it would be a great idea, however the scope of the idea would be a rather large one, because, if you are flying around on a planet, wouldn't the gravitation field strength also have to be taken into account? (because of relative weight and mass of the ship ALONG with the weight and mass of any players on board(super nerd, ikr))

This would mean that there would have to be a way for the game to recognise how many players are onboard a single ship, calculate their weight and masses (if they aren't all the same) and then do g-force calculations for a SINGLE ship. An I'm guessing there would be a lot of ships about.

Unless I'm missing something really obvious, I think something like this would be a real strain on a server, especially as the devs are advertising it as "one big server".

Plus, you would probably have to take in acceleration factor for each thruster on a ship.

(I feel sorry for kinda destroying your idea, so I do say sorry, but I really would like to see how they handle this.)

What would be the point? Black/redouts? (Counter by flightsuit), Toppling over when walking in a ship? (Magnetic boots :D) Lying flat on the ground and not able to stand up? System failures of some sort? Think it's not that good of an idea

What would be the point? Black/redouts? (Counter by flightsuit), Toppling over when walking in a ship? (Magnetic boots :D) Lying flat on the ground and not able to stand up? System failures of some sort? Think it's not that good of an idea

I don't know, having an actual skilled pilot who understands motion of ships and giving the game a bit of depth when people choose their battleship captains and navigators?

Oh wait, you must think battleships are weightless? :P No, they aren't. 

And yes, flightsuits can be put into quality of item, given the materials used to make it more G-resistant, therfore giving pilots' gear a meaning and not be something purely cosmetic. Cybernetics can help with that even more, but hindering thep ilot due to calories consumed in the process.

The gameplay depth is going and going this way. 

For the record, I'm not talking Star Citizen 1940s "fidelity" on dog-fights. I'm talking of emulations and limits, like stunning the player if they go beyond the maximum G absorption their inertial dampeners can support.

Crew? Displace them on-board a ship, stun them as well. The pilot can even issue a warning on "evasive actions". 

I can't see the first year of a space captains (or everyone else's) life on board will be shallow with little depth...there will be plenty of stuff to consider and to learn through trial and error before a ship with it's crew is able to be effective and pull off great stunts.

As I said, there would be plenty of possibilities to do with g forces but the crew will have problems of their own in the first place, no need to swing the hammer at them more than necessary. Let them learn the ropes first, without complicating it too much at first

I can imagine g forces to be implemented in a later patch, but for the first few iterations it's not that important.

Oh and I would appreciate if you don't assume stuff I never said, thought or said.

Something simpler would be to give them the effects of g-force (disorientation, etc) if a ship slows down too fast or hits/is hit by another object weather it's another ship or an astroid.

Adds a bit more depth to the pilot class with knowing how to manoeuvre the ship and should be much easier to implement with much less server stress, just a though :)

Something simpler would be to give them the effects of g-force (disorientation, etc) if a ship slows down too fast or hits/is hit by another object weather it's another ship or an astroid.

Adds a bit more depth to the pilot class with knowing how to manoeuvre the ship and should be much easier to implement with much less server stress, just a though :)

yes, it's a gradual system the way I see it. 10% above the limit, people start moving slower due to them trying to fight the forces applied to them, 20% you start getting blurry vision, at 30% stun, beyond that it's raw damage.

I agree with both sides, something i would really like to see .. but not until much later into the game. just my opinion though :)

Well, it's an afterthought of the physics system :P The devs have confirmed they are working on the mass = weight system for the game. The G forces come after that no matter what :P So yeah, it's just a poll to see if people are interested in it.

Makes no sense at all.

They already have the technology to compress matter into tiny packages and make it weightless to carry it on the body.

Then saying the suit wouldn't be able to compensate for those g-forces is kinda ridicules from a engineering point.

Makes no sense at all.

They already have the technology to compress matter into tiny packages and make it weightless to carry it on the body.

Then saying the suit wouldn't be able to compensate for those g-forces is kinda ridicules from a engineering point.

Well, if they the suit can compensate for G-Forces in scenarios reaching a fraction of the speed of light in accelerations,  and even more G-Forces on deceleration on a turn, then I do believe PvP is non-existent in the game, because no bullt would ever be able to penetrate that flight suit.

See the conundrum?

And also, with the same logic, why use guns or lasers, or rockets? Just throw a nano-pack at the enemy, disable the anti-gravity tech, and make a black hole. Done.

It makes a lot of sense, since their ships will have mass and weight. If there's no inertial strain on the crew or pilots, then those ships will be able to do flips and spins like starfighters would.

Again, it's an afterthought of the physics grid. Link the strain of a pilot or crew to the G-forces applied. Make it a gradual system, the higher the G-Forces the stronger the effects. Tight turn at high speed? Slow down the crew's movement speed. Very tight turn? Stun and for a moment and cause them damage (scaled depending on the G-Forces).

It's rather simple.

You know, just because we ignore g forces on players doesnt mean that ships magically gain infinite thrust to accelerate and turn.

well, if we are to put in logic, we don't get to be picky :V

If the suits can have magic, so do the ships' hulls :P

LUDICROUS SPEEDS ENGAGED :D

well, if we are to put in logic, we don't get to be picky :V

If the suits can have magic, so do the ships' hulls :P

LUDICROUS SPEEDS ENGAGED :D

Who said that its a function of the suit?

Could be a side function of the artificial gravity system

Or of the system that makes weird spindly constructs with large thrusters at the end of spires possible.

Who said that its a function of the suit?

Could be a side function of the artificial gravity system

Or of the system that makes weird spindly constructs with large thrusters at the end of spires possible.

...or we could have a spiffy G force system and have some skill involved in it. It's a poll not a discussion :V

i think g forces should be applied to removed helth if it exceeds the maximum, but you may install inertial dampener modules to compensate, thus obligating you to not have a megathruster and a cockpit if you want to live, but have at least some amount of inertial dampening to compensate, it would be a mechanism to avoid having too maneuverable ships at low tech levels. just a plan of technological balance in the field of agility (imagine tiny drones going super fast?! horrible!!) computer cores or ai modules would be affected too, but would have a higher tolerance.

i think g forces should be applied to removed helth if it exceeds the maximum, but you may install inertial dampener modules to compensate, thus obligating you to not have a megathruster and a cockpit if you want to live, but have at least some amount of inertial dampening to compensate, it would be a mechanism to avoid having too maneuverable ships at low tech levels. just a plan of technological balance in the field of agility (imagine tiny drones going super fast?! horrible!!) computer cores or ai modules would be affected too, but would have a higher tolerance.

that can work that way as well indeed. That's why I asked only one question if people would like G forces, how the devs choose to apply the emulated effect, is up to them :P

I vote yes, not for G-force effects, but rather - Gravity in general.

(In that sense the G-force vs tech debate is moot - if there is real gravity in play, we as players need to design means around that.)

So G-forces - for craft in atmosphere - yep. For land and water vehicles, yep. For launching to space - yep. And so on.

And gravity = some cool sci-fi stuff like sling shots using planetary gravity wells.

2 cents.

Anon.

i would even extend that

(In that sense the G-force vs tech debate is moot - if there is real gravity in play, we as players need to design means around that.)

So G-forces - for craft in atmosphere - yep. For land and water vehicles, yep. For launching to space - yep. And so on.

And gravity = some cool sci-fi stuff like sling shots using planetary gravity wells.

2 cents.

Anon.

i would even extend that, saying you have to manage inertia as gravity, so we can create artificial ring gravity (with rotation), just align the player with the force vector when in collision with a structure or vessel.

2 cents.

Anon.

You're mixing up several things here: the g-force effecting a body is the acceleration of it in terms of multitudes of the earth's gravity. Despite its name, g-force must not necessarily be caused by gravitational fields but also exists without any gravity, i.e., in space with zero gravity when a force is applied to a body.

2 cents.

Anon.

Sir, G-Forces in space are caused due to inertial strain on the body of a pilot / crewman , as the ship goes in quite the speed and as we know from E=MC^2, more speed = more mass = more inertia, which is why the devs can add :

1) Inertial dampeners : They reduce the strain of the G-Forces cause in greater speeds. That can be a one meter wall of silica oil around the ship's hull that buffers the G-Forces to a great length.

or

2) Emulated effects. As many above stated, things from damage on an avatar from a battleship turning in an angle way to steep, or people getting stunned from "blood-pressure" as the battleship does that turn.

As I said, the Devs can decide on whatever they want to do with it :P.

I for a fact, do want some form of use for a thing like silica oil or even water to act as an inertial dampener.

I vote no. Seems a bit too complex for far to little payoff. Most of the problems like, ships accelerating too fast and turn speed can be handled by the engine and thruster mechanics and fuel consumption. I do not think this problem will need an additional system of injuring the player or ship.

Not to mention with all the technologies that seem to be available in the game, nano compressing weight and items, artificial gravity and whatever other crazy technologies in the game this seems like a problem that could be easily solved.

If this was a flight sim style game. A game that was 99% about building a ship and flying it with an ultra realistic feel to it, I would be all for it. In dual universe with all the other things to do in the game and the combat not really about dog fighting or ultra realistic flight. I just don't see the pick up in spending time on a system like this.