What happens when you die?

Yes, I know you reincarnate (naked per lore) at your linked reincarnation point.

• I take it naked means in your space suit since that seems to be as naked as we get.
  • Do you lose the contents of your nanopack?
  • Do you lose any land you have claimed?
  • Do you lose any constructs you have spawned in the world?
  • Do you lose your money?
  • Do you lose "skills"?

"Death" isn't implemented yet, so nobody really knows.

From previous NQ comments, it sounds like anything in your inventory would be dropped when you die, but your constructs aren't going to simply disappear because you die. 

Perhaps there might be a "safe space" in your inventory, a small section of inventory that doesn't get dropped when you die, but I don't think anything has been said about that so it's just a guess at this point.

Constructs are always in the world though, even when you log out. They're probably not going to vanish because you die, but you'll still have to make your way back to them (unless you have a respawn node on them or nearby).

If I had to bet on it, I don't think you'll lose money when you die either. 

As far as skills go, that's anyone's guess at this point.

"Death" isn't implemented yet, so nobody really knows.

Yeah, I know. I'm concerned primarily about NQ's design plans to the extent they've shared it with us.

Constructs are always in the world though, even when you log out. They're probably not going to vanish because you die, but you'll still have to make your way back to them (unless you have a respawn node on them or nearby).

I didn't think the constructs would disappear - that would create a death spiral that would kill the game - but you might lose control of them. This could be that no one has control permanently, i.e. they can only be salvaged, or could be the first person to reach the construct can claim it. The latter would make violence the only meaningful activity in the game.

As for inventory, I'm pretty sure I remember NQ saying you can't lose your blueprints, but I don't remember hearing about anything else.

Having read anywhere from simply respawning to you will lose all your property at death. I really believe NQ needs to inform the player base on what will happen during death. It is a big question with to much speculation right now.

Additionally I really like the idea of a small never drop inventory. 

4 hours ago, Gerald_Deemer said:

How about making some suggestions?

Well we know that the current "planned" death system just places you back on a respawn node and inventory is lost. The rest of the details are up in the air until NQ states more about it.

23 hours ago, geronimo553 said:

Well we know that the current "planned" death system just places you back on a respawn node and inventory is lost. The rest of the details are up in the air until NQ states more about it.

So no suggestions for the devs. They call for help if they need some right?

15 minutes ago, Gerald_Deemer said:

So no suggestions for the devs. They call for help if they need some right?

I like the current idea regarding death, once we die we will drop our current inventory and can only respawn where a res node is located. So respawning would either be in the starting ark ship or where we built a node. Also I already agreed on the improvement of adding a small never will drop inventory above.

The current death system is identical to space engineers and I honestly like that death system because the punishment of death depends on player choice. 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, DaphneJones said:

Yeah, I know. I'm concerned primarily about NQ's design plans to the extent they've shared it with us.

I didn't think the constructs would disappear - that would create a death spiral that would kill the game - but you might lose control of them. This could be that no one has control permanently, i.e. they can only be salvaged, or could be the first person to reach the construct can claim it. The latter would make violence the only meaningful activity in the game.

As for inventory, I'm pretty sure I remember NQ saying you can't lose your blueprints, but I don't remember hearing about anything else.

That's just x1 scenario for a solo player. A small/cheaper ship is not such a big loss (still a loss). It's pretty cool actually finding a ship as your "prize" on the other hand. If you log off on a ship, just have a capsule there for when you come back. Other crews can steer the ship back to "port". ?

1 hour ago, geronimo553 said:
1 hour ago, Vulcore said:

I am more concerned about what will happen to a player that murders another player .

As in a bounty or kill count?

More like an eye for an eye or blood demands blood :) If someone kills you and you lose your inventory shouldn't the murderer be punished as well?

26 minutes ago, Vulcore said:

More like an eye for an eye or blood demands blood :) If someone kills you and you lose your inventory shouldn't the murderer be punished as well?

If the person kills someone, I think the person dying should be able to find out who kill them and then can decide what to do from there. Be that communication, placing a bounty, or seek revenge. 

1 minute ago, geronimo553 said:

If the person kills someone, I think the person dying should be able to find out who kill them and then can decide what to do from there. Be that communication, placing a bounty, or seek revenge. 

Revenge is to much trouble and it would not replace lost inventory items. 

I am more concerned about what will happen to a player that murders another player .

"Murder" sounds a bit harsh for an online character ^^
I think there are 2 possibilities:
- The "murderer" will feel excitement as dopamine is rushing into her or his bloodstream, because she or he achieved her or his goal.
- She or he didn't actually want to kill you and teardrops will run down her or his cheeks, while shouting: "What have I done!!"

Regarding game mechanics, I don't think, that there will be implemented a "kill penalty". ^^

I think if criminals exist there will be vigilantes (by kindness and coin).  I also assume larger orgs will also have a code of conduct within their own cities and also plan to forcefully enforce them.

As we are paying for time on the server, I would prefer there not be a jailing aspect.  or atleast one you cannot force respawn out of.  

ie. In Ark you can tranquilize other players, and drag their body into a cage.  You can then fill their inventory with rocks so they can't walk around, and also hand cuff them so they can't pick up and eat something dangerous (like their own poop or other consumables that will eventually kill you).  You can also retranquilize them in order to force feed them water and food.  Ark's system allows people to be indefinitely detained on that specific server.

2 hours ago, Odendis said:

As we are paying for time on the server, I would prefer there not be a jailing aspect.  or atleast one you cannot force respawn out of.  

ie. In Ark you can tranquilize other players, and drag their body into a cage.  You can then fill their inventory with rocks so they can't walk around, and also hand cuff them so they can't pick up and eat something dangerous (like their own poop or other consumables that will eventually kill you).  You can also retranquilize them in order to force feed them water and food.  Ark's system allows people to be indefinitely detained on that specific server.

Given how few people have spoken in favor of player persistence (in the other thead) this would not be the case in DU because a person could easily just log out or respawn.

Novaquark also will have to have in mind those (so called by themselves) skeptical players who BELIEVE that there can be nothing more than digital vacuum after death in DU. Because, if not, probably they'll launch a holy purge on behalf of the Church of the Official Science (good name for an org), against the heretics who deliriously talk about resurrection nodes, the respawn and all those fairy tales. Such witch hunt will be able to compete with the best purges of NG. 

?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...