Blueprints

Myrradah

Probably not unless someone makes a program to convert the blueprint format (It may be in the server so aka imposable to get to) to an STL or any other cad file. But it world actually be really cool if the devs implanted a feature that could do something like that just to export blueprints as STL's or STEP's.

It would be great but it would Introduce a question about copyright in the game . Who owns the copyright of a ship created in game? if I buy a Blueprint could I  print it? What happens if I sell it ? Probably needs addressing specifically .

It is probably already written down somewhere in the license . 

Would be quite cool, but as Mucus said, there are aspects that need looking at, and I doubt NQ feel this is a priority atm. Maybe when we get closer to launch or soon thereafter. I still like the idea and would love to be able to!

The devs have already confirmed a creative mode or seperate mode for people to build constructs separately outside of the game itself. For trying building/construct ideas and new designs without worry of using/finding resources most likely. However they did not state if the creations from the creative mode could be saved as a blueprint to be transferred into the game or if blueprints could be copied into this creative mode for testing.

12 minutes ago, geronimo553 said:

The devs have already confirmed a creative mode or seperate mode for people to build constructs separately outside of the game itself. For trying building/construct ideas and new designs without worry of using/finding resources most likely. However they did not state if the creations from the creative mode could be saved as a blueprint to be transferred into the game or if blueprints could be copied into this creative mode for testing.

You have this backwards.  They have said repeatedly that there will NOT be a creative or singleplayer mode.

7 hours ago, SGCam said:

You have this backwards.  They have said repeatedly that there will NOT be a creative or singleplayer mode.

This took me far longer than I wanted to spend finding it, but it is something I support whole heartedly.  Sometimes you just want to try a design or a theory in the name of science.  It would allow us to also learn the physics and metrics of how the game world works and how each element interacts with it.

More on topic, I know Space Engineers had a limited promo of being able to print your ships...but I don't know how that panned out or what the specifics of it are.  From what I gather now, it doesn't seem like they do it anymore, and it doesn't state why.

I feel like permissions for exporting could be something baked into the blueprint itself (sell the usable one for cheap, sell the blueprintable one for a bit more).  

Edited by Odendis
prevent double post

That would also force many people to learn to use 3d design software because everybody that does that will have and advantage over the other designers. So the players that play DU because they like to build stuff now have to revert back to 3d design software that some may already be using. They will then mostly be doing that rather than play and build in DU. It will split the community and take away the fun and challenge of building with voxels. It won't be a level playingground anymore for builders like me. And I really don't want to have to learn a 3d development program to build in DU in order to compete with other designers. I want to play and build in DU and struggle with the voxels. Find smart ways to shape them. It's a different challenge.

I am not sure but if you could design thing in game and then export blueprint to a 3D printer software >> Wouldn't you also be able to design things with the 3D software and import to game. If this is the case I do not think DU would allow this. 

33 minutes ago, Odendis said:

This took me far longer than I wanted to spend finding it, but it is something I support whole heartedly.  Sometimes you just want to try a design or a theory in the name of science.  It would allow us to also learn the physics and metrics of how the game world works and how each element interacts with it.

More on topic, I know Space Engineers had a limited promo of being able to print your ships...but I don't know how that panned out or what the specifics of it are.  From what I gather now, it doesn't seem like they do it anymore, and it doesn't state why.

I feel like permissions for exporting could be something baked into the blueprint itself (sell the usable one for cheap, sell the blueprintable one for a bit more).  

Thank you for finding that, I tried for a good amount of time with no luck. I also remember seeing a screenshot of the would be creation system and a brief description. But I cannot seem to find it.  I believe it was posted back in late 2016.

As for space engineers, blueprints can still be made in creative mode and uploaded to the steam workshop. However for servers online or a game in survival mode, a projector block has to be used in order to cast a projection of the blueprint which then can be welded into the world block by block or with a welding ship. If an admin has creative rights in a survival world, they can just paste a blueprint into the world without having to build it.

3 hours ago, geronimo553 said:

As for space engineers, blueprints can still be made in creative mode and uploaded to the steam workshop. However for servers online or a game in survival mode, a projector block has to be used in order to cast a projection of the blueprint which then can be welded into the world block by block or with a welding ship. If an admin has creative rights in a survival world, they can just paste a blueprint into the world without having to build it.

Sorry for the confusion.  I meant the promo they had where you could get a 3D model printed out based off the blueprint file.

https://3dprint.com/18069/space-engineers-3d-printing/

I don't know why they seem to have stopped though

That space engineers promo was just Keen saying "oh, this would be cool" and halfheartedly implementing it (like a lot of the stuff they do).  When they made the switch to DX11, it broke (along with all of the other external code) and then never bothered updating it.  The script for that is floating around somewhere, and you can still use it on blueprints from the DX9 version.

This should be something technically doable for DU (and 'relatively' uncomplicated).  I think the big issue for 3D exporting from NQ's perspective will be any copyright/IP issues.