Being able to plant a tree or to fill a pool

Castanietzsche

It'd be nice if we were able to plant trees or to fill pools with water. Or even to grow seeds !

I don't know if the wood is a ressource right now (I suppose, I've seen parquet floor and furnitures) but I definitely want to be able to get some voxels without digging and mining !

It would be great, yeah. I think that if trees, lifeforms and ecosystems would be only a decorative or residual thing in the game, then we wouldn't have learnt much about the "lessons of the mother planet we left behind", before arriving to Alioth... So i trust that the game developers will put each thing in the right place (and indeed I feel that they're are doing the best they can).
Because if nature and its species wouldn't be, at least, an important thing, what kind of civilization simulator (and ecosystems and universe) we would be creating?
Although we know that this wont be a survival game and it seems we've created a way to survive swallowing yellow pills when nobody is watching, it would be great to give a basic healthy impression about the elements and things in the game when is launched.
Because the importance that is given to certain things will have obviously an effect (aware or subliminal) on people minds, mostly if they are pretty young.
So lets not forget too much that we currently cannot feed ourselves with money or oil... and so on, and so forth.

?

• 7 months later...
On 12/16/2018 at 11:48 AM, MaltoSigma said:

Trees out of voxels will probably not look realistic.
But I don't know, why there shouldn't be a wide range of plant elements.

You don't have to make them out of voxels, you can make them a singular object like the furniture in the game.

There have been several discussions around this topic over the years, and the feedback from NQ was basically "no tree planting in the environment".

Apparently, trees and plants have the potential to massively stress the servers if we're allowed to plant them anywhere at will. Someone will go out and plant a forest of 50K trees, because they can...

In the short term, the best we can hope for would be "plant elements" that can be deployed in the build space of a static core. There already are a few of those ingame, hopefully more will be added later.

In minecraft I spent a lot of time planting underground woods :D

It would be cool to have gardening elements in DU just for aesthetic purposes.  Probably allow planting them only on claimed territory just to avoid some kind of abuse. 

If trees generate lag the first thing to do is kill all trees around a base, but if trees generate lag i can imagine that every generated small hole also generates lag, so then if that was the case and i want a lagg infested base so its easy to defend i would just make the ground one chees grid of about a thousand small hole tunnels crisscrossing my territory. That is probably then a very effective way to overload the server on my position. So the lagg reason to not introduce trees is one we can scrap as probably the players themselves can find ways to induce lagg much more efficient. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 10:15 AM, Aaron Cain said:

If trees generate lag the first thing to do is kill all trees around a base, but if trees generate lag i can imagine that every generated small hole also generates lag, so then if that was the case and i want a lagg infested base so its easy to defend i would just make the ground one chees grid of about a thousand small hole tunnels crisscrossing my territory. That is probably then a very effective way to overload the server on my position. So the lagg reason to not introduce trees is one we can scrap as probably the players themselves can find ways to induce lagg much more efficient. :D

I wonder if they could make it that things will only load if we see them? Like if there is a tunnel behind we won't load it until it's in front of us.. it would look bad to see it load but could increase performance I guess..

• 2 months later...

I like the idea of planting forests, because I mean we're supposed to be revising societies and part of that is terraforming.  However, I don't want people planting lag-inducing forests, so maybe have a maximum number per territory (and make it less than can procedurally spawn for safe measure), or a minimum "root distance" so you can only plant so many so close to one another.  I think that would be efficient and it would be cool to have a gardener or botanist tool for it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 5:47 PM, Madrummer said:

I like the idea of planting forests, because I mean we're supposed to be revising societies and part of that is terraforming.  However, I don't want people planting lag-inducing forests, so maybe have a maximum number per territory (and make it less than can procedurally spawn for safe measure), or a minimum "root distance" so you can only plant so many so close to one another.  I think that would be efficient and it would be cool to have a gardener or botanist tool for it.

Not sure how the trees is going to create lag if they already have tons of people moving in a small area. I question how realistic that would be for people to randomly plant millions of trees if a) you have to harvest the seeds and b) you have to wait for them to slowly grow over time, like a small growth per downtime. Then if the trees can be used for resources, I am skeptical there is going to be a forest. Just look at our own environment on what we do to trees, I am skeptical people are going to spend most of their time/effort to plant trees if it is going to get torn down for resources. 

Then we have to factor in the issue of land and obviously the trees are going to be limited to only certain planets. I feel the claims of developers saying it creates a massive lag is a cop out of not implementing them in the game. If there is no possibility to make wooden furniture, then I would agree that trees being planted would be a pointless endeavor to implement.