EVE Online players , pls gather here ;)

Otomoto

Former EvE " carebear" here . I made a modest living as a miner and industrialist. I got into Wormholes and made my fortune there along with aiding some personal friends in various wars. 

I actually got into Space Engineers for a time and started really digging the building ships and programming possibilities of it. Hence how i found my way to DU. I love this concept and the territory control mechanics make my day. 

I run an organization Known as VoiD Industries for DU.With a focus on remote systems and deployable base items.

I quit EVE when they started selling skill injectors.

Lived in a WH for over a year. Did a fair bit in Provi mostly as logi lead and trapping blops.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:30 PM, grybeard said:

Say what you will about Goons, they are hilarious to fly with.

That they are neo-Goons and a social black hole; where people often had to make whole new characters with a clean corp history, in order to escape to other alliances.

The real Goons want to kill games.
Neo-Goons either do not impinge upon or actively help line Mitten's pockets.

I would never fly with or for PL nor the neo-Goons.

The original EVE thread with a poll

EVE oh EVE..... loved the game but always wanted to build my own designs. So here I am

Played EVE for several years. Ended up in lowsec, dipping my toe in Provi then headed to the Great Wildlands but then realised something was missing.... and thats when DU popped up on my radar.

I like doing a variety of things.  Some in the DU community may think im a 'griefer'.... I just laugh at the iriony in that  :)

Am I a carebear? Maybe, i just like winning.... or at least the fun of the struggle.

Do I intend to build good stuffs? You bet ya !

But above all that I look forward to the friends i will make on this journey of colonisation (or is it invasion?)  :D

Cheers

CoreVamore

Still playing Eve. For 3 years now, sti enjoying it. Been part of most anti-Goon alliances, that matter. This universe will have to go along way to convince me it will provide the same PvP content and war experience, that even exists today in Eve.

No other game gives you that adrelaline and is that complex yet. Even when the current meta sucks and encourages consolidation of powers and blobs. Where Eve started really declining when CCP messed up the industry and economy, buffing tue ulti.ate mining ship - the rorqual. Totally unbalanced, allowing miners to print tons of capital and supercapital ships easily. This totally destoyed the power creep, the ships players have now are absolutely out of control. Bcs of that everbody can afford to fly a ship, the developers thought will take considerable time to train for and build - titans and supercarriers. Does that remind you of anything?

Haven't decided, if I will sponsor and join the alpha yet. There is too little information and demo footage about the game. I just don't want to invest in a game that might tutn out to be an improved and more beautiful Minecraft on planets of Space Voxels, with existing multiplayer options that are barely used. Those are my fears.

51 minutes ago, Thor Vanguard said:

Haven't decided, if I will sponsor and join the alpha yet. There is too little information and demo footage about the game. I just don't want to invest in a game that might tutn out to be an improved and more beautiful Minecraft on planets of Space Voxels, with existing multiplayer options that are barely used. Those are my fears.

It's better to wait.

Alpha 1 is built on the foundation of the voxel tech solution. Atst attempting to scale up the server performance and stability and load all the while.

It will take at the earliest Alpha 3 (beginning) before the higher systems above this are able to be developed eg PvP.

Ex-2003 EvE player here. Was in beta as well. Anyone remember Corybantic?

The last thing this game needs is an influx of EvE players, as it has been since about 2006, when people started to think that meta mind games and plain anonymity-enabled griefing - the kind of which sad creatures such as Lofty29 industrialized - a sociopathy simulator, in which finding every bordeline exploit and abusing game mechanics just to reap Schadenfreude, is seen as skill.

Reminder: UO was ruined and Trammelized because of griefers

Show us where did those baddies touch you?

Competition = fun

In a competition there is always someone losing. Every competitive edge and advantage is 'exploited', pushed to the limits. I don't see anything bad about it. Without player like that you will get bored in the beautiful, quiet city you built.

There should always be limits. Even if a game encourages "competition and creativity" on many levels, some things are universal and not necessarily bound to game mechanics. Like the "meta game". At the latest, there, some should see some limits eventually.

But the thing is, different people define this differently.

It's always interesting to me how it appears some see/experience griefing which ever game they are involved in. IMO part of that is that they go in wit the expectation of encountering this and as such will expose themselves to exactly this behaviour. In EVE I am a member of Signal Cartel where at first glance our Credo would invite griefing but in fact it does not. On more than one occasion it in fact has shielded us from this where we get a 'Oh, you are Signal Cartel, you guys do great work' and people just move on.

Personally I greet griefers with fireworks and friendly banter. I've had someone stealing my loot in a site jettison it with a 'OK, OK, I give up ;)' because of it..

Griefing is part of the sandbox we play in, most people choose it as a play style and that is fine really. By approaching them with a negative or salty attitude you only fan the flames, by throwing a joke or pun it actually may be it works in your favour. That is not to say there will not be encounters where some really is just out to tick you off  and since there is nothing you can do to prevent that, IMO the best way to deal with it is just walk away without saying a word. I believe that hurts the griefer more than you may think as they feed off of your response being negative and salty. So in fact, you win..

EVE evolved over the past 15 years, it's still here because it did. EVE is a real and viable sandbox which has proven itself several times over and is/has been the subject for studies and research for many years on many subjects like how their in game economy really is a functional one which can't be said about many in game economies. I think DU has the potential to rival EVE in that respect but it will be many, many years before we know if it does.

20 hours ago, Thor Vanguard said:

Show us where did those baddies touch you?

Competition = fun

In a competition there is always someone losing. Every competitive edge and advantage is 'exploited', pushed to the limits. I don't see anything bad about it. Without player like that you will get bored in the beautiful, quiet city you built.

Please tell me which kinds of competition exist in which you can clone yourself so you can multiply force just by cheesing a gameplay-wise deficient system
For example, in EvE: throwaway free accounts as static scouts on gates + offgrid booster + support (healer) + gank ships, all of which can  be manned by a single person
Some other person jumps in, using a single account, and gets "competitioned", LOL
Praytell, where is the competition?
Protip: competition requires a level playfield. I suppose you know about sports. Are the teams usually equal in numbers?
"B...b... but it's war in space! Everything goes when in war! Cheap tricks!"
Oh but I thought it was merely an internet game?
Do you want to talk about the RMT going on in EvE, which also fuels the unending quest for borderline exploits and maximum cheese?

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Griefing is part of the sandbox we play in, most people choose it as a playstyle and that is fine really. By approaching them with a negative or salty attitude you only fan the flames, by throwing a joke or pun it actually may be it works in your favour. That is not to say there will not be encounters where some really is just out to tick you off  and sicne there is nothing you can do to prevent that, IMO the best way to deal with it is just walk away without saying a word. I believe that hurts the griefer more than you may think as they feed off of your response being negative and salty. So in fact, you win..

EVE evolved over the past 15 years, it's stuill here because it did. EVE is a real and viable sandbox which has proven itself severa times over and is/has been the subject for studies and research for many years on many subjects like how thei in game economy really is a functional one which can't be said about many in game economies. I think DU has the potential to rival EVE in that respect but it wil lbe many, many years before we know if it does.

Remember the Erotica1 scandal? Please tell me what it had to do with "playstyle"
EvE devs started noticing around 2006 that multiple accounts enabled griefers and sociopaths, and ofc those accounts had to be funded ($ for CCP!). Devs did not address gameplay issues that allowed multiboxing, but instead, started to promote "Power of 2", effectively giving the signal that in order to compete in EvE, you had to buy multiple accounts and fund them, whether through RL money (easier and much faster) or grinding (and someone had to buy those PLEX anyway with RL money)

They cleverly understood that there was a niche in MMOs for griefers and anonymity-protected online sociopaths. EvE caters to them, but it goes much deeper than this.
Single shard -> high stakes because of reputation etc, so players take things at heart, and are ready to spend good money just to prevail in game.
Cue out-of-game money deals, so ingame player entities get harrassed, or don't get harrassed...
Plus the money laundering...
EvE is a cesspool, last thing DU needs is an input of its inhabitants
But as DU won't enable multiboxing because its gameplay is far from utter garbage, something tells me all the tryhards, RMT scoundrels and money launderers will stay in the containment universe known as New Eden.

Dual Universe is nothing like the universe of New Eden. Anyone who has seen any videos by NQ can see that Multiboxing will be nearly impossible. In EVE the basic mechanics are simple. You point, click, and sit and wait. In Dual Universe you are actively controlling your character in a first person view. Imagine trying to do this with 2 or more accounts. Eventually you’re going to have one or more character(s) who are standing there looking stupid and very vulnerable because they never move. You would almost need a monitor per account so that you can see what each character is seeing. From the YouTube video I saw mining with multiple accounts is impossible... I’m sure shooting moving targets with multiple accounts would be as equally difficult as you wouldn’t be able to aim. And anyone who has played any combat games knows standing still will always get you killed. 

With all all of this said, there may be those who will still try and Multibox. As it’s been said before:  “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” One instance I can see Multibox possibly working is in crafting. While multiple characters are crafting simultaneously, the main account would be free to keep mining. One issue would be that multiple active players can do the same thing and also have all of them back mining while crafting thus gathering resources much more quickly and efficiently. In the latest video though, it was said that not all crafting will be done in the nanoformer. The bigger and more complex things will take manufacturing processes. Having multiple accounts crafting while the other main account mines would be no where close to being as efficient because of the ability to link containers to your character and being able to utilize larger inventory spaces. Where 2 active players will most likely beat anyone trying to Multibox two accounts. 

Well then since PVP and Manufacturing mechanics don’t seem to easily facilitate it, perhaps the trade system would allow it to be possible? Well then again you need pilots to transport resources to the markets, market monitoring characters, and also trying to run a spreadsheet/calculator so you are always able to make it worth it... I’m also not convinced Multiboxing would be as efficient as multiple people working together to accomplish the same thing. 

In in the end, the mechanics and game style of both games are different thus not allowing the same issues to happen. Dual Universe is NOT a point and click style which allows the monitoring of multiple accounts simultaneously. People may try to Multibox, and nothing can be done to stop them from trying. I just see that multiple players working together can do the same if not more than one person with multiple accounts this leveling if not tipping the playing field towards those who play the game with one account. 

"Sociopaths" is not an insult, it's the factual description of EvE players who stuck to this game once it became a Schadenfreude-harvesting, Real Money Trading, real money laundering platform.
What they can bring to the table is an endless drive to seek all the borderline exploits and cheesy mechanics they can, so they have the upper hand on whomever in game. Remember they rejoice when people quit the game because of them (this is the holy grail of every griefer), which is bad for a business-model that doesn't rely on the need for multiple accounts.
One could argue this seeking of gameplay exploits pushes devs to fix issues, but some things aren't issues, and can be source of great collective fun, until some category of players turn them into issues needing to be fixed, by cheesing them. Therefore limiting ingame freedom.
This is what ruined Ultima Online: griefers forced the devs to shard it, and "Trammelize" the game.
I've got a 15 years experience with EvE, its business model, and its inhabitants. Feel free to contact me (I'm french btw) if you want or need to pre-emptively address the inevitable griefing problems EvE players will bring into DU (I'm not even thinking about only the goons)

1 hour ago, Keieueue said:

Please tell me which kinds of competition exist in which you can clone yourself so you can multiply force just by cheesing a gameplay-wise deficient system
For example, in EvE: throwaway free accounts as static scouts on gates + offgrid booster + support (healer) + gank ships, all of which can  be manned by a single person
Some other person jumps in, using a single account, and gets "competitioned", LOL
Praytell, where is the competition?
Protip: competition requires a level playfield. I suppose you know about sports. Are the teams usually equal in numbers?
"B...b... but it's war in space! Everything goes when in war! Cheap tricks!"
Oh but I thought it was merely an internet game?
Do you want to talk about the RMT going on in EvE, which also fuels the unending quest for borderline exploits and maximum cheese?

You do not lose accounts if someone kills you in Eve or if you get killed by Concord.

Lack of levels, tiers and BS like that is the best thing that has happened to the gaming open world.

Play maybe a little bit or listen to someone who has actually played it. Do not talk nonsense, please.

You do not 'clone' yourself. Scouting is optional, because everthing is player driven. You do jot get free intel on other players. Someone has to do it for you, or you make an alt.

@Lambert, I am sure there will be room for multiaccouts. Do you honestly believe mining will be limited to doing it with your hands as shown on the video?

35 minutes ago, Thor Vanguard said:

I am sure there will be room for multiaccouts. Do you honestly believe mining will be limited to doing it with your hands as shown on the video?

I am simply going off of the information provided. And yes I do believe that as NQ has said many times they want players to work together. One player who can mine a whole vein by themselves because they have a ship and tech goes against the community part of the game. 

On 12/8/2018 at 9:16 PM, UrielSeuthes said:

I got into Eve when i get divorced and had plenty of time. Never had a clue about it but it loved the pew pew and was selfsuficient. Then goons showed up and said something about miners and i got maried again.

Now i got divorced again and have plenty of time again but no clue about DU.

Hope goons dont say anything about miners again cause aint Planung to marry again.

p.s. how much will a wardec cost in du? Eve related Corp?

Can I here see a strange coincidence between MMO's and divorces? ? On the other hand... I can see a lot of coincidences everywhere... ?

1 hour ago, Lambert said:

I am simply going off of the information provided. And yes I do believe that as NQ has said many times they want players to work together. One player who can mine a whole vein by themselves because they have a ship and tech goes against the community part of the game. 

I doubt such core activity will have you require someone's help all the time. Like owning a ming rig, mobile mining rig or something like that.

And again, if this game makes it to release you will surely have people who have miner, hauler and solder alts. This is inevitable.

You can also wait fo r your buddies to login and help you, for instance, haul the ores you mined, but there will be people who do not like waiting and have more real money, so they will choose this path of using an alt as a trucker.

3 hours ago, Keieueue said:

"Sociopaths" is not an insult, it's the factual description of EvE players who stuck to this game once it became a Schadenfreude-harvesting, Real Money Trading, real money laundering platform.
What they can bring to the table is an endless drive to seek all the borderline exploits and cheesy mechanics they can, so they have the upper hand on whomever in game. Remember they rejoice when people quit the game because of them (this is the holy grail of every griefer), which is bad for a business-model that doesn't rely on the need for multiple accounts.
One could argue this seeking of gameplay exploits pushes devs to fix issues, but some things aren't issues, and can be source of great collective fun, until some category of players turn them into issues needing to be fixed, by cheesing them. Therefore limiting ingame freedom.
This is what ruined Ultima Online: griefers forced the devs to shard it, and "Trammelize" the game.
I've got a 15 years experience with EvE, its business model, and its inhabitants. Feel free to contact me (I'm french btw) if you want or need to pre-emptively address the inevitable griefing problems EvE players will bring into DU (I'm not even thinking about only the goons)

It's worth stating DU is attempting at present to deliver a game on 2 levels: The sandbox MMO for the people who want huge worlds and space to design things and comingle with other people and invent their own pasttimes. IMO, this will inevitably result in large areas where this is the game, where McDonalds and Quasi-Ancient Chinese Architecture rub shoulders...

The other level, is for a very different audience: The logistics, the economy, the organization, the pvp competition race that EVE players are probably looking for.

For this reason I would not be surprised, for illustration, if the original solar system in DU exists for the former entirely and then subsequent solar systems open up for the latter...

Hi everyone!

@Keieueue

Obviously you had an infortunate player experience in the game "EVE Online".
That doesn't prove you're right when you make a generalization about all the players of any specific game. Many players among those you haven't interacted with may not fit to the description you gave, as it's still possible to enjoy a game without taking part in any of the issues you mentioned, without making such player necessarily a "bad person".

Moreover, saying that qualifying someone as a sociopath is not an insult is a bit borderline and hypocritical: No one likes to be qualified as such, and starting a discussion by calling someone a sociopath will immediately antagonize him/her (whether your statement is true or not). You know it and we know it, so please do not try to justify the use of this word.

What exactly is your end goal here?

1) Trying to make friends in a community in which you will play?

If this is the case, you did exactly the opposite of what should be done and it's more than suggested to interact with all other members of the community on a more friendly tone. If you don't like some specific people, it's your right, as long as you remain neutral on the forum and don't try to provoke them.

2) Trying to create drama and conflicts right from the beginning?

Conflicts in-game are fine. Trying to create conflicts out of the game by attacking/provoking directly a category of players is absolutely not fine.

In any case, no matter what your end goal is, your first posts aren't respecting the forum rules (rules I would recommend to read, or read again if you already did it, especially the part regarding "Flaming" in section III). We try to make this forum a friendly place where everyone can express his opinion, as long as the main goal is not to create conflicts. Your first posts didn't go in the right direction. See this as a first warning. Next time we will start moderating your posts without further notice. This forum is not an outlet to express your frustration experienced on other games.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

• 2 weeks later...