EVE Online players , pls gather here ;)

Otomoto

Hi Capusuleers, welcome to our second universe.

I was just curious  how many ex EVE players gathered here and/or donated to this project.

After leaving EVE during the roughest times in the games history, jeah we all remember Jita riots.... I swiched to Minecraft.

Jeah pls dont laugh, I mean it was not all 12 year olds back then :)

But nothing will ever fill the EVE itch. Today I see EVE like an old girlfriend.... it was great, learned a lot but it is time to move on.

Nevertheless, I will forever be a proud Amarr citizen.

And now here presents a second chance to fly the golden hulls once again. Cant wait.

Fly safe

OTo Moto, Cnexus Director

I don't consider myself an "EvE player" in the sense of saying that implying I was involved in it much. I played it briefly, few months tops, did some mining in high sec. Had some ominous friend who was a goon alliance skirmish commander with a funny story of plot twists and betrayal, won't spill his name though.

But technically, I am a former EvE player even though I never got into it much.

I'd support the notion that people shouldn't automatically laugh at Minecraft, because that's what I played about 2 years or so, extensively, in a semi-serious setting. Yeah the graphics were crap (unless you used a texture pack, then could even be rather beautiful) and the character models weren't that detailed due to the blockyness of it all, but damn, the game could offer a certain depth, and when I played most modern sandbox games who picked up the torch were not around or not released for early access and whatnot. In the MC community we played (with the same group I once started promoting here) we brought a semi-serious, immersive approach to how groups would interact with each other.

My point is, yeah sure there's probably some weird kids playing Minecraft and we all know that cringy video from Minecon or so where the devs get asked cringy questions by kids, but it also offered a mature mindset and approach or setting. Most communities I saw were populated by older teens and adults who delivered a unique experience, wether on my own former community or the Civilizationcraft servers with unique hubs and 'cultures'.

But enough of MC for now. I get your point, I think. There's usually only few extensive, complex games or games you start to play that shape you in a distinct way. Perhaps you eventually stop playing them, but eventually look back in a nostalgic way. I do so with Minecraft primarily, due to the great experiences and adventures I had there, and primarily because we won in that particular community I was in.

By design or idea, I find Dual Universe to be the perfect combination of what I was always looking for: The emergent gameplay and player influence of EvE Online (which I disliked for its controls and focus on operating ships, instead of people sitting in ships with a focus on first person or on character, and lack of planetary components) coupled with the sandbox elements and ground components of games such as Minecraft.

If it's done well by NQ, this will be considered a better EvE Online for me because it then may offer the same idea (without your filler NPCs though) but with things people missed from the game. The "best of both worlds", so to speak.

But time will tell.

Still knee deep into EVE and it is a very enjoyable game for me. While DU would seem to offer a really good extension on some EVE concepts it will also IMO not be the saviour of EVE bittervets and carebears. I expect DU to be way more unforgiving and harsh than EVE was, is or ever will be.

DU will never replace EVE for me and I will happily remain active in both. The EVE community is second to none and DU will have quite a long way to go before it gets close. Right now there's way too much saber rattling going on coming from people who seem to not really know what they are getting into. This will become apparent quickly once the game gets going for real.

EVE is a mature, strong, self sustaining universe where players actually do create their own destinies and stories. DU certainly has the ability to do the same but will need to prove itself over the next 5-10 years to do so. Progress in DU will be much slower and interdependencies much more required. I am not sure what to make of what seems to be a rather distinct dislike or disdain even for EVE around these parts of the wood. Many of the sentiments I read seem to me to show a lot of people setting themselves up for disappointment here in advance. But we will see how things evolve.

hi there

i am a capsuler since (nearly)  the begining of eve,  and before i played this game : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mankind_(video_game)

i just wonder how DU will balance between individual and corporate

irl i am a designer and i love my job , particulary creating mechanism and 3d models , you can imagine how i look forward to test this in DU

2 hours ago, malkyy said:

hi there

i am a capsuler since (nearly)  the begining of eve,  and before i played this game : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mankind_(video_game)

i just wonder how DU will balance between individual and corporate

irl i am a designer and i love my job , particulary creating mechanism and 3d models , you can imagine how i look forward to test this in DU

You know you can get your hands dirty a bit in Hyperion? It is kind of like DU.

I got into Eve when i get divorced and had plenty of time. Never had a clue about it but it loved the pew pew and was selfsuficient. Then goons showed up and said something about miners and i got maried again.

Now i got divorced again and have plenty of time again but no clue about DU.

Hope goons dont say anything about miners again cause aint Planung to marry again.

p.s. how much will a wardec cost in du? Eve related Corp?

• 2 weeks later...

I've casualy played EvE from 2006 to 2016, the game was and is still great, but for me there's something more attractive in DU. However, I expect Dual Universe to be something new, not just an improvement of what was made in EvE with the ability to walk, but a game that will offer an experience closer at some point to the Sid Meier's Civilization game serie, or any 4X competitor. 

SM's Civilization is a good comparison and likely the feeling I will get. I had this before already on a Minecraft server (hub) called Civcraft, with certain plug-ins to add that faction and nation building aspect.

The result?

Lots of different cities (in the respective territories) and factions, some at war with each other

7 minutes ago, Warden said:

SM's Civilization is a good comparison and likely the feeling I will get. I had this before already on a Minecraft server (hub) called Civcraft, with certain plug-ins to add that faction and nation building aspect.

The result?

Lots of different cities (in the respective territories) and factions, some at war with each other

Interesting experiment, I'll be honored to learn more about it.

I'm at Eve since 12 years and covered or at least tried out every aspect of the game. Nowadays I sometimes go around in Lowsec and Do Carebear stuff like mining. The Rest became at one point very boring. But I believe also this will become here a much harder reality then in Eve and it will be fun. *gg*

I'm still playing eve since 2009. It's still great game :) tried there almost all actuvities and ship types - the new race and titans is the only stuff left to try. But for me eve lacks of visual creativity that voxel games have. That's actually the only reason for me to wait DU - be able to design and test my own creations

I played eve almost since inception for about 10 or so years.  Life got to the point I could not spend hours in game roaming around null.  Cap fleets were a great way to pop in and spend 1-2 hours max jumping and reffing.  Then they changed caps and made them use (eww) gates..  That did it for me.  Kinda sucked too.  I spent the majority of that 10 years in 1 corp who went from one failed alliance to another.  We finally joined Goons and it was the best time I had in the game.  Say what you will about Goons, they are hilarious to fly with.