Can we stream it?

Mal_Reynolds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, PJSkilllz said:

ive paid for phase 2 so early 2019 id assume the NDA and streaming will be ok then?

They have not made any indication of when NDA will be lifted at this point.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:16 AM, geronimo553 said:

I am glad the NDA stands, it helps to build hype for the game. It is also directly why some or even most triple A game titles sell so well at launch.

My hope in DU is fading each day. Not streaming it is killing it rather quickly, as seen by forum activity differences and quality.

I want to feel happy for the game, but the only reason they have the NDA is to make sure the game's current quality isn't shown.

There's a valid argument for both sides. I'd LOVE to stream it now to show current people what I know and to show prospective people how nifty it can be.  Ultimately I respect and understand the decision from Nova Quark to not lift the NDA.  The Community Digest program is a good compromise allowing players to submit images and videos that NQ can then distribute. 

On 12/28/2018 at 2:40 PM, Kuritho said:

My hope in DU is fading each day. Not streaming it is killing it rather quickly, as seen by forum activity differences and quality.

I want to feel happy for the game, but the only reason they have the NDA is to make sure the game's current quality isn't shown.

Oh yes I am very aware of the current "quality" of the game right now. I still like that the NDA stands as a barrier from full disclosure. Though, I strongly believe all current alpha and beta testers deserve access to the NDA sections and information. Because right now, the "public" sections that are not tied behind a paywall are fairly dead overall and the sections covered under NDA are very active. Everyone who is here now, is here to support the game. How the devs believe slowly allowing NDA access too everyone currently involved in supporting the game; will somehow preserve future hype is beyond me. Because everyone here, has already paid to boost the game's success.

In my humble opinion, the devs are only annexing the large majority of their fan base by not including everyone in the NDA discussions. But somehow in a couple months that same information will be magically okay to view and comment about? Like I said, beyond me and my practical line of thought. 

15 hours ago, PJSkilllz said:

Yep i fully understand as a games dev myself.

Would love to stream on twitch as i do with most games.

I may also do a ship and vehicle build tutorials and basic game instructions they always go down well :)

Good to hear.

The type of marketing that is suitable now is the type NQ are doing for example the player-contest of sci-fi ship types that people can create and design and use or the outposts stuff.

When there's more functional game, and polish then EYEBALLS from streamers makes more sense for more people ie showing GAMEPLAY with good performance as opposed to the above which is the sandbox creativity that is already functioning and showable in collections to best effect.

IMO it’s fine as is. There is no fault in a developer wanting a more refined product to show the mass public. The earlier you show a product the more chance you have of people bashing it in its current state because even with the amount of games offering alpha/beta access it seems to me that the general population has a hard time differentiating between alpha/beta and the final product.  

Even in its current state I’d love to show what DU can do. I want to stream it. I want to educate people on the mechanics and ... and well I’d like to show it all. However I can’t and that’s ok.  Ultimately it’s the decision of the devs when I can stream it.

The biggest issue I have is that people will “loose interest” because DU isn’t letting the public see what’s going on. My reply.. are your serious? Do you really want an alpha build to be the benchmark of the game and be anywhere near the final product? If so you are delusional.

The current state of pre-release games has corrupted many players.

Pantera

This is an interesting discussion. As I have been playing the game recently I do see why NQ wants to keep the NDA up for some time. The game is not at a complete state, and first impressions are very important. However even with the NDA in place NQ is trying to compromise with some gameplay. 

I truly think the NDA will help the game in the long run, and that is very important for the overall success. I do plan to include some more info on the reasoning in a future video for Dual Insider because it is a very important topic.

Streaming now would be a very bad idea. There are a-lot of aspects to the game, each one of those a selling point. To show the world now would do the final product an injustice. Right now, all you could stream is flying around and building stuff for the most part, but there is so much more that has yet to be implemented. Lifting the NDA now would sell DU short and not do it justice. Imho

6 hours ago, PJSkilllz said:

think a few in game dev videos showing some more builds and art would do a world of good

I'm good with the current community digest. Let players capture the content and DU will distribute.  

2 hours ago, Pantera said:

I'm good with the current community digest. Let players capture the content and DU will distribute.  

If you're a new player, you'd know this would be cherry picked (and it is).

This type of game with an alpha NDA creates a very bad kind of hype. It shrouds it in negative energy and makes people wonder what is going on in development.

The dev logs (something made from the devs) look awesome and so does the Alpha features showcase. From an outside perspective, it makes you wonder what the hell is going on and why is there an NDA when the game already looks great and seemingly functions.

We (the "in-the-know" community) know why there is an NDA, and we know it's beginning to hurt the game. I love Dual Universe, but this just seems like a really strange move.

Still love you, JC ❤️

With the cost of entry being relatively high during Alpha, even when the perks actually make it a good deal,  there is little benefit for NQ to open up the NDA against the obvious pitfalls and potential damage from showing completely normal and expected issues and limitations for a project in early Alpha stage of development.

DU is not ready yet for public consumption and devs need to be able to work on the game without the outside pressure of perception and lack of understanding.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:50 AM, Pantera said:

There’s good points on both sides really. I can’t wait to stream it. Even got me a 2nd PC and an Elgato ready to go but patient I will be: :)

Ha, I was just eyeballing the Elgato last night for streaming.

The game is still in early 'development", hence Alpha, and the developers can still control the narrative.  Once you let slip the dogs of war, it is much harder to real them back in.  I believe that you do not have to go full bore with marketing right now.  That effort is better served when the game is out of alpha and has all of its features.  I know it is tempting to feel anxious about the possibility of losing players, but it feels to me that NQ has heavily considered the missteps and pitfalls from other recent (or not so recent) sci-fi games and the nightmare PR issues that have arisen.  Extending the NDA into ALPHA 1 and maybe 2-3 is a smart measured approach.  Believe me, I want to tell everyone about the fun I having with this game.  Having played in this past holiday extended period has me very excited for the future of this game and I am not panicked about losing players.

One of the reasons that the forums have seen a little reduced traffic is because many of those folks are now able to play in the Alpha and that chatter has moved to the NDA section of the forums.

I agree.. the past 18 days have been great and many plans have been drawn up for the future, including streaming stories and adventures we will have. For the stage of development the game is in it is really, really good IMO but it _is_ alpha and definitely shows it. The future looks bright though and like I am sure many of us in Alpha right now, hitting the 'start streaming' button is very tempting even when yes, not just yet.. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:43 AM, Kuritho said:

If you're a new player, you'd know this would be cherry picked (and it is). [1]

This type of game with an alpha NDA creates a very bad kind of hype. It shrouds it in negative energy and makes people wonder what is going on in development. [2]

The dev logs (something made from the devs) look awesome and so does the Alpha features showcase. From an outside perspective, it makes you wonder what the hell is going on and why is there an NDA when the game already looks great and seemingly functions. [3]

We (the "in-the-know" community) know why there is an NDA, and we know it's beginning to hurt the game. I love Dual Universe, but this just seems like a really strange move.

Still love you, JC ❤️

Some sort of sarcastic satire? I believe this author is a writer of sci-fi fiction, as well.

1. It SHOULD be cherry-picked at this stage ie selective and low frequency.

2. LOL this must be the satire bit: 

Here from Tuesday 23rd April 2013 on star citizen from it's lead Chris Roberts: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-22-chris-roberts-how-incredible-community-transforms-development

Chris Roberts' Star Citizen game has raised over $8.6 million so far, and fans continue to jump in even though the game is more than a year away. GamesIndustry International sat down with Roberts at GDC for an exclusive interview to find out how the game is progressing, what Roberts has learned so far, and what lies ahead.
Several months into the process, the game remains on schedule. "We've got a really good core team together, and we're getting our pipelines up and running," Roberts said. The development plan for the game does not follow the classic structure, where the effort is bent towards creating an alpha with all the parts of the game working after a year or more of development. Instead, the team is working on what Roberts calls "an iterative release plan."
"The engine is primed, and in the next couple of months we're going to start sharing more gameplay videos," Roberts said. "The way I'm thinking of doing it is the game's two years out, but we're planning to release parts of the ultimate game early. 

It's interesting to see how this differs from 2019. But even better it also shows lessons for Crowdfunding and managing expectations responsibly as one of the comments reveals:

I think the biggest downside to Kickstarter has yet to reveal itself, which is dealing with the fallout when the finished product doesn't meet the backers' expectations. This will happen in two ways - any real project will shed commitments as it gets closer to finaling, leading to the end result being significantly different to what was promised. Second, every backer will have an idea of the game constructed mostly from their own imagination, which will probably be very different to what the devs actually build. Both of these disconnects will be viewed as 'promises being broken', leading to wailing and gnashing of teeth once things are actually released. The traditional model doesn't have this problem because buyers only see the finished product (of course, disconnect between the marketing and reality of the game can still have a similar effect, as recent events have shown).

The fact is, the majority of people don't even know Dual Universe exists. Of the ones that view the videos, they often don't even know what it is after viewing footage or reading brief descriptions. A few very interested people do know what DU is: They either PRE-PURCHASED (high risk) or else are waiting for:-

• More Info and Gameplay Displayed
  • More stability guarantees and server uptime to be worth playing
  • More positive word of mouth or their buddies playing it and reporting

All the rest, are waiting for HYPE and MARKETING when the game is ready to release. This is better for that audience. They need to get into the game and start doing fun things with lots of others and preferably avoid any anti-social issues too (given it's an MMO) but experience very positive social interactions and hopefully.

3. As to this the alpha released about 1 month ago a trailer and there has been something like 80,000 raised since then in pre-purchases. For an alpha that's quite good.

I expect with the demise of Star Citizen's MMO aspirations, in due time (hence the relevance of the quote here) we may see people that wanted a Space MMO taking more of an interest in DU - but they'll need to take the steep graphics drop quality with the fact the game is immensely stable, and incredibly open game space to enjoy.

As to the prescient comment quote: It's already happening: 

So there's every good reason to keep an NDA: Let the game sell itself by demonstrating what it actually is, and the players good word of mouth.

DU interests me, but there is no way I will PRE-PURCHASE until there's an actual game that is stable and fun. I hear from backers it is fun but that it is not stable which doubtless impacts on the fun. Again looking at the above video, it's decent commentary by everyone involved, but they've been TALKING and little PLAYING that game for YEARS now while ostensibly "playing" it. A lot of videos of nothing saturating the appreciation to fund more development instead of a solid BETA that blows everyone away with the impression it makes - the people who buy based on marketing and hype and then receive a game that delivers ABOVE those OTT expectations.

Another approach is to keep an NDA, and churn out lots of non-game info constantly. That's not a good method either. No, I think NQ's approach of the odd high quality content over periodic cycles of development targets is best. It actually means something and actually shows something and unlike the 24-hr news cycle is not constantly begging in your face.