My take on Trains

GUNWOLF

Right, I’ve heard that rails aren’t going to be implemented because of issues with multi-part constructs and I wanted to show my idea on how we could do trains.

My idea is that instead of rails in the traditional sense, we add a gps-based system. The “trains” would be simply hovercraft traveling between two points. How this would work is that a player would place at least two “beacons” and it would create a link between them. The “train” would have a special antenna that would cause it to automatically try to stay on the line directley between the beacons. The disadvantage is that you can only have one train per segment, so you would need to have a lot more than two beacons. You can switch the link between two beacons manually or with a Lua script, meaning that multiple branch lines can be made. The trains themselves can be manually or automatically controlled, and I think it would be cool to have a railway network going around Ailoth. What do you more skilled players than I think of this idea?

The Devs have already said no to automated constructs as it directly contradicts their vision for the game.

You should be able to make a train that runs on tracks using hover engines to float on the track but you will have to be when driving.

Another workaround is if we get some form of an elevator system, which seems a requirement for more massive structures, and paired with the idea of connecting entities into a group entity, then just connect a whole lot of long connected structures with an elevator going horizontally? Probably massively expensive but doable for a luxury of a group that has the resources.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just reading land train could be a term for this idea over using dedicated rails you could then use solid fix system were the train parts are linked into one. or if docking system could link it modular wise. I not played yet but reading and putting ideas on table to help. hover over the land  or maybe a tunnel system were the train travels if there some form of detection system you can have it hover down a pipe and then ignore the walls on its trip have maybe a lua signal thingy if it can be done to stop and start the train when it gets to set stations but this probably beyond me and maybe some one with more skill might know how.