Light Trails for Mining

Mucus

Basically its a trail that can be left behind you so you can find your way back. either a light , flare breadcrumb or a coloured trail ,luminous floor. Would help when mining in the same material as often you cannot workout where you are as everything looks the same.  Perhaps a device that maps the tunnels for you.

Underground navigation is a skill players should train themselves and maybe organize as an organization. You can be very creative in finding a strategy for this. Depending on what method you choose to execute when mining you will be more or less effective as another organization. Taking away the problem of navigating underground with some feature removes this gameplay element which in my opinion is an important part of the game. Especially in the long run your mining efficiency will start to matter.

wandering around is not gameplay is just tedious , blue LED are fun and cool.

Update: Given I just spent 48hrs on mining this and that , 1 thing you scan do is use the scanner to find the tunnels when it pulses. But signposts is a real need. If you put them it alerts others to where the ores are, if you don't it means you have to find your way out. Or of course you could put false signs :).

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 10:18 AM, Serula said:

Underground navigation is a skill players should train themselves and maybe organize as an organization.

Taking away the problem of navigating underground with some feature removes this gameplay element which in my opinion is an important part of the game. 

This can be made irrelevant as planetary GPS coordinates are more or less accurate to the point you are at. The only discrepancy being the lack of a visual connecting identifier such as a line between the two or more points. This, of course, can be overcome by tunneling in straight lines from point to point.

Essentially with only a few basic adjustments, no such feature needs to exist since it technically already exists and this nullifies any abject 'skill'.

Personally I prefer if the mining ore scanner was "not" inverted because it makes no sense for the ground beneath you to be represented upside down. As for the topic at hand, I think the navigation to the surface should simply be the depth scanner informing the player distance to surface. It should be the player's preparation while digging down, whether or not they become lost.