Stealth, Fog of War, ability to hide Territory hex claim.

Jayplaygame

Stealth, fog of war elements  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see these features?

• YES - add stealth, hideaway and fog of war elements.
    • NO - do NOT add stealth, hideaway and fog of war elements.

On 11/3/2018 at 7:54 PM, Jayplaygame said:

Stealth. More of a focus on hiding assets on planets, territory units or hex claims whatever they may be from detection other then visually seeing them with the naked eye from a short distance. My intent is to use the games freedom (hopefully) to build underground, while using the cover of a subterranean base and operation to remain hidden from detection or being sighted by potential hostiles. Please make this possible.

Wow.

Well. This is awkward. ?

My intent was to use the game's freedom to develop ground penetrating radar, and or devices that can detect the presence of electromagnetic signals, lifeforms etc which are hiding underground...

And also telescopes. Because space is big, and the ground is tiny when you are flying.

And drills. Definitely drills. Because in any mining game the good stuff is under ground. Like gold, and diamonds, and other peoples bases.

(Hint : it will be like real life in that regard, but yes - I agree - there should be no "broadcast" or floaty name tags or whatever for stuff out of line of sight... takes all the fun out of hunting people down, or playing PayDay 3 - Dual Universe, or selling you super good camouflage type stuff and shield technology at a very reasonable price...)

Yeah well, that's what I mean. Immediately finding me is silly, and why does all the focus have to be on me?

Because you seem interesting and you have nice stuff obviously, cause you live in a sekret base. Not like John Doe over there who looks like a schlub and lives in the shanty town next to the Ark. Why would I focus on him?

The nail that stands up proudest is the first to be hammered

(aka don't tell everyone your plans...)

Nice we made it to page 2. Well yeah, who knows what I'll do if I get the game. Maybe I will build underground. What I mean by all the focus is, people that are so against this thing from happening that they outright vote against it being implemented in the game because they want to have power over everyone, and not allow anyone to use a potentially amazing feature to be free of their "oppression". Lol.

3 hours ago, Anonymous said:

The nail that stands up proudest is the first to be hammered.

This is very true.  Locks only keep an honest man honest.  If a thief wants your stuff badly enough, he's going to find a way to get it.

Making yourself as small and unappealing target as possible goes a long way.  Then again, some folks enjoy the challenge of breaking security, not for gain, but for the thrill.

10 hours ago, Jayplaygame said:

Nice we made it to page 2. Well yeah, who knows what I'll do if I get the game. Maybe I will build underground. What I mean by all the focus is, people that are so against this thing from happening that they outright vote against it being implemented in the game because they want to have power over everyone, and not allow anyone to use a potentially amazing feature to be free of their "oppression". Lol.

Yeah, don't worry - I get you. Agree 100%. The only people who would be against the idea of... let's call it Hardcore Mode (if you think of FPS games)... are people who just enjoy ganking and griefing - people who want maximum reward for minimum effort.

I don't want Carebears - Friendship is Magic, but I also want people to REALLY have to work for it if they are set on taking someone out or someone down.

Personally I think that implemented with the right balance, what we will get is a stealth/detection arms race, which is only good over time as that sort of thing drives in game economies.

For the record I voted YES, but with the caveat that we are talking about NQ essentially removing all automatic highlight/detection/ID of players, constructs etc (Hardcore mode), but allowing such to be implemented in game via player R&D. Again - we are the game devs and they are the engineers - we need to keep that firmly in mind. They make the reality, we make the society and tech.

• 5 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 9:30 AM, Jayplaygame said:

Bounty "hunters". They're called hunters for a reason. They hunt, whats the fun in hunting if you see all your targets? There's absolutely no point or any fun involved if you're just going to tell everyone where everything is, it practically ruins the PVP part of the game.

I agree that having your nameplate displayed indefinitely would make the act of bounty hunting meaningless. If your gonna hire someone to take them out for you, then why not take them out yourself or call a hitman instead. My problem though comes when people are unable to discern players from one another. If you have someone wearing the same suit that most of the player base is wearing, than how could you ever bring that person to justice. How could militant forces do their jobs if the criminal had no discernible traits.

Let say Player A and his buddies gank Player B when he's transporting minerals in deep space. They run off with the goods, sell them on the market, and go about their business. Player B has no way of discerning the pirates identity. He also has no way of detecting their location, so they could be long gone by then. The only thing really that could stand out is the ship used in the sacking, but even that knowledge could be unknown to the player if its hidden somewhere. So we have a victim that can't tell who attacked him, where the attacker could be, or even what their ship looks like. I believe some kind of cosmetics to the game to not only give the player more customization, but for identities to be instantly known when by just having someone see a player, and remember what they looked like.

I don't think hex claims should be hidden when your on top of them. Perhaps you could hide it from people flying about, but I really don't think you should hide it from people on the ground. Otherwise people are just going to be annoyed when they can't make changes to the hex.

And as always any feature needs a counter. If someone has a better scanner then you have stealth then they should be able to see you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hmmm ... i would really like to have stealth in a dual universe. I need this to spy on other organizations. I would suggest doing this: in order to hide your base, it was necessary to build a special structure, such as territory unit, it just served as a disguise of the territory, but it removes the ban on digging in your territory, it needs maintenance, and if it is not followed, He will stop working and show everyone that you are here. To hide your ship from the radar, you will need to paint it with special paint or make it from special materials that allow you to notice radars only from a very close distance. And in order to hide your body, you need a special suit that is not much different from the main suit, it will not show your nickname or will show someone else's nickname. it will be possible to recognize that this is a spy costume only for very fine details. I hope you enjoyed my offer ;).

Edited by Connor Cain
Correct mistakes + to add

• 2 weeks later...

Alting may come into play here—if I’m hunted (for some reason) and I want to hide, I could make a new account, take territory ownership with it, and give my main full permissions. Of course, that won’t help for just random marauders.

• 1 month later...

Good to see some like minded folk in here.

Fog of war should definately be in it adds gameplay to explorers, and mappers. People can sell their maps to all sorts of customers.

Bit of a tangent warning here:

If I am a 19th century American going up the wagon trail from east to west. I don't know who owns the towns on my way, or who lives in them.

A lot of towns back then were just made by accident. They only got incorporarated after the government could reliably project their power in those areas.

We are kind of like those people, the day we're out of the Ark ship it's manifest destiny all over again.

I don't see how that should be different in DU. If I'm going around the place I shouldn't be able to just know, or see, who owns what without inquiry.

If I want to know who is when, and where, I should have to invest time to figure out those two questions. This is what makes the game compelling.

When pvp devolves into left clicking a hex on your map, flying there, and nuking it with overhwelming force. It's going to get boring quick.

I don't want a hex registry on the map, or a website, or elsewhere. I want this information discoverable in the game using game mechanics other than a map that tells you where everyone is staking their tent. I want to have to go out, and fly over a hex to see how it looks like. Walk on it to find out who owns it. Plan my assault accordingly.

On stealth, this is a sci-fi game we're 10k years into the future. Today we already have tech that can defeat radar in choice circumstances.

It'd be silly to not add that in the game. Cloaking, EM dampeners, Heat sinks, bring it on. So long as the investment is high enough.

On accounting for crimes, once you're close enough to physically see the ship, you should be able to grab its identification, or at least a screenshot of how the ship looks.

Considering DU is going to have a very varied fleet of ships it shouldn't be impossible to identify people based on their ships. This all revolves around having good communication with people, and knowing how to investigate things. A modified mining barge with high tech cloaking, EM countermeasures, etc.. is going to stand out when you're looking for a mining barge that attacked your ship. And if you cannot see the ship, record its (lack of) signature. Considering most ships will be unique in some way, shape, or form, getting a unique signature for each ship shouldn't be hard at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be mean, but this is a lulzy suggestion. This idea can't be implemented because the fundamental game design is already in place since last year. Here are some of the problems:

The developers have already implemented a rights management system to prevent unauthorized people from editing or damaging your property without your explicit permission. So assuming that people are going to search for ore, resources, and etc, they are going to accidentally stumble on to your operation regardless if you have a tcu or not. The difference being that the tcu will show that there in no point in going to that area since they wouldn't be able to impact the environment and probably be shot on sight. 

I mean the game play style you want to implement here sounds like you can just pick up a survival game on Steam and do it there. I fail to see how it would be beneficial for an "mmo = Massively multiplayer online" and if anything detracts from the mmo experience. This has nothing to do with me wanting to oppress anyone or be pvp bloodthirsty sociopath and just the fact that this is a single shard game that is going to have hundreds of players if not thousands playing through multiple time zones. 

Now if you would like to add dampeners or w/e to block out radar for assets a group puts out topside I am all for it. But throwing a bunch of artificial hurdles to allow you to play a single player play style in, again an mmo doesn't make much sense. I think people are making grand assumptions that the planet is going to built like crazy with people taking over territory all over the place, when in reality the planet is going to be scorched as bigger groups mine the hell out of the planet to establish their presence in the game.