Nano/Viral Weapons

Mucus

Thinking about future weapons for PVP it would be nice to see nano/viral voxel and element weapon . The purpose would be to effectively eat/destroy voxels with the  aim of gaining access, removing voxels structure integrity ,removing voxel armour so that other elements could be attacked . Also how great would a construct look after it had been attacked(or not so great)

The weapon could also be used on elements , perhaps randomly removing links, reducing performance of an engine, corrupting lua scripts or rendering elements to needing repair.

The weapon delivery could be various methods , mines , missile , etc .There  would be a counter measure eg: antidote  , perhaps delivered to the affected area by a defence bot. Shields could also include bio filters or nano filters as a defence layer.

12 minutes ago, Mucus said:

Thinking about future weapons for PVP it would be nice to see nano/viral voxel and element weapon . The purpose would be to effectively eat/destroy voxels with the  aim of gaining access, removing voxels structure integrity ,removing voxel armour so that other elements could be attacked . Also how great would a construct look after it had been attacked(or not so great)

The weapon could also be used on elements , perhaps randomly removing links, reducing performance of an engine, corrupting lua scripts or rendering elements to needing repair.

The weapon delivery could be various methods , mines , missile , etc .There  would be a counter measure eg: antidote  , perhaps delivered to the affected area by a defence bot. Shields could also include bio filters or nano filters as a defence layer.

Interesting idea, however voxels are just a way that the game represents reality. TO my way of thinking a voxel is akin to a giant atom of matter, or chunks of matter. The voxel just allows us to build in those forms of matter.

When in the world we shouldnt be seeing things a voxels, more like 'a house made of rock', a 'ship made of titanium' etc. So weapons I believe will blow holes in things, big enough weapons will blow big enough holes so that people can charge through, (I believe thats the vision NQ has of it).

So in essence weapons will will 'make holes' and builders will repair those holes.

I do like the idea of weapons fire with elements - this has been discused in the past in several threads as well.

Keep the ideas flowing though ;)

Please remember to consider some other aspects:

-It'd probably be hard to implement because of how most voxel systems are done.

-It'd also might just delete voxels, in a finite universe. You can see how problems arise with community sabotaging with removing vital materials from the game (like Unobtainium, where there is only a hundred thousand voxels in existence).

21 hours ago, Kuritho said:

Please remember to consider some other aspects:

-It'd probably be hard to implement because of how most voxel systems are done.

-It'd also might just delete voxels, in a finite universe. You can see how problems arise with community sabotaging with removing vital materials from the game (like Unobtainium, where there is only a hundred thousand voxels in existence).

Thanks for the reply . The technical aspects of course need to be taken care of but ideas generation is a first step in moving forward. https://trello.com/c/9sRuOo8Y  .  "community sabotaging"  sounds like emergent gameplay to me.

2 hours ago, Mucus said:

Thanks for the reply . The technical aspects of course need to be taken care of but ideas generation is a first step in moving forward. https://trello.com/c/9sRuOo8Y  .  "community sabotaging"  sounds like emergent gameplay to me.

But one must note the difference between making the game more competitive and making certain parts of the game less accessible.

Destroying vital rare materials (unless you give the nanoviral weapons their own inventory, which then this problem is solved) could be a problem, very similar to just "yeeting that shit out to space."

your assuming that destroying voxels on  a ship would remove them from the game economy , not sure that has been established ? Perhaps they just recirculate into existence for mining. Or perhaps they are finite and do leave the game , either way could be interesting.

5 hours ago, Mucus said:

your assuming that destroying voxels on  a ship would remove them from the game economy , not sure that has been established ? Perhaps they just recirculate into existence for mining. Or perhaps they are finite and do leave the game , either way could be interesting.

I'm pretty sure that any voxel that is destroyed is one that has left the game. So in a way warfare improves server performance ;)

8 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

for some stuff i think it would be a good idea to let it drop as debris

Then we would have to ensure our ships are strong enough to hit the debris as we teavel at high speed......  death by striking a voxel.... or random course alterations.... what fun  ;)

14 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

for some stuff i think it would be a good idea to let it drop as debris

Perhaps it turns into scrap and you can scoop it up , oops eliteism