So im not entirely sure on the game mechanics, but either having a planet rotate, you could establish a geosynchronous orbit, a low orbit station, or if planets do not rotate we could use this almost as a seed ship kinda idea (ship flys in, scans the planet records the data transmits it back to supply ships via subspace and plants a stargate moves on to next planet) kinda like from stargate universe, it would take loads of scripting but it would be amazing. 

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Seed_ship

Also we should start a Destiny initiative. 

#DestinyInitiative

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'll get to the point;

1. The topic has been cleaned due to Offtopic Replies - please stay on topic 

2. Necroposting is a no-no based on the forum rules (Don't do it, if you're not sure about it, read before posting)

3. Don't try to backseat-moderate necro'd posts (this a bit disrespectful to the moderators and just makes the necro'ing even worse and harder for us mods to clean up afterwards)
4. Don't Cross-post (this is a form of spam as well - 1 Thread is enough for 1 Topic)

5. Don't provoke others either. Just use the report system (even if it doesn't seem like the fastest way to resolve an issue rest assure it gets our attention and will get looked into)

That being said, let's now keep on topic: Antigravity Drives (try not to also break the NDA when discussing this)

Best Regards,

Meldrik

Edited by Mod-Meldrik

I hope that the anti-grav units stay above a specific spot. Hell, how else we make space elevators?  I can see a large base in upper orbit and just building a ship specialized in up and down to ferry people to their platform where their big babies are parked. Park it right above your land base and all you’ll need is to go straight up and BOOM! You’re at your platform. Lots of possibilities. 

7 hours ago, Pantera said:

I hope that the anti-grav units stay above a specific spot. Hell, how else we make space elevators?  I can see a large base in upper orbit and just building a ship specialized in up and down to ferry people to their platform where their big babies are parked. Park it right above your land base and all you’ll need is to go straight up and BOOM! You’re at your platform. Lots of possibilities. 

It does make me wonder how badly an anti grav platform would react when rammed by one or more high velocity ship impacts.... would it be enough to bump the platform below  the engines minimum hight threshold resulting in the platform/ship/city hurtling towards the ground......

On 10/31/2018 at 10:37 AM, CoreVamore said:

It does make me wonder how badly an anti grav platform would react when rammed by one or more high velocity ship impacts.... would it be enough to bump the platform below  the engines minimum hight threshold resulting in the platform/ship/city hurtling towards the ground......

Given that NQ have already stated that "ramming" will not be a viable option to cause damage, I doubt that "ramming" will be a way to bring antigrav platforms down. It would invalidate NQ's policy.

13 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Given that NQ have already stated that "ramming" will not be a viable option to cause damage, I doubt that "ramming" will be a way to bring antigrav platforms down. It would invalidate NQ's policy.

Sorry NanoDot, you totally missed my point. I never mentioned damage did I? I was talking about bump mechanics which come into effect instead of damage. Bump mechanics basically mean that when my ship hits another then my ship will bounce off and the target ship will bounce a little too - usually in the direction that my ship was travelling in.

So, if you had enough ships dive bombing/bouncing the top of a hovering ship/platform, using anti-grav evngine, the bounce reaction may be enough to knock that ship/platform below the height limit set for the engines. This would cause the whole platform/ship to fall from the sky.

This form of attack would not invalidate NQ's policy, if anything it adds to emergent game play.

Food for thought.....  ?

1 hour ago, CoreVamore said:

This form of attack would not invalidate NQ's policy, if anything it adds to emergent game play.

I did not miss your point at all.

If the intention is to prevent damage (direct or indirect) resulting from ramming, then repeated "bumping" to force an antigrav platform below 1000m is just a workaround to circumvent the intended design.

There's a fine line between "emergent gameplay" and "exploit"... ;)

If you're employing repeated "bumping", then you're exploiting the fact that ramming causes no direct damage to either vehicle.

It's also my contention that "bumping" should have almost zero effect unless the mass of the two objects is fairly equal. Gnats don't bump your vehicle when they hit the windscreen, they become a smear.

33 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

I did not miss your point at all.

If the intention is to prevent damage (direct or indirect) resulting from ramming, then repeated "bumping" to force an antigrav platform below 1000m is just a workaround to circumvent the intended design.

There's a fine line between "emergent gameplay" and "exploit"... ;)

If you're employing repeated "bumping", then you're exploiting the fact that ramming causes no direct damage to either vehicle.

It's also my contention that "bumping" should have almost zero effect unless the mass of the two objects is fairly equal. Gnats don't bump your vehicle when they hit the windscreen, they become a smear.

No, that's not an exploit at all, its simply attacking something that has a known weakness. It's no different to attacking a ship that with a weapon type that it has little armour/shield/defence for. 

The exploiting of the 'no damage done to either ship' is not an exploit at all. Thats a design mechanic/decision that NQ has made, and I am for it as it avoids 'death spears' - which kills game play. For example, in Eve online, bumping is used as a way to disrupt ships trying to align to get away, and can be used effectively. It fits the mechanic, the lore, and the game. Do I personally like it? Nopes! But I also accept it as a part of the game and something to be worked around. The same for DU. Do I like what I am suggesting? Nopes! However it is a possible tactic that may be used and so people should be aware of it, and if possible, take steps to mitigate it.

And the bumping could be done by several large-ish type ships (not gnats),  travelling at high speed - remember velocity is a thing. The downside of this approach is if the ramming/bumping/attacking ship misses then that ship is only seconds away from face planting into the ground.......  so yea, pros and cons ;)

Cheers

CoreVamore

9 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

For example, in Eve online, bumping is used as a way to disrupt ships trying to align to get away, and can be used effectively.

Sure, but no amount of "alignment bumping" will damage the target. You still need to bring tacklers and enough firepower to do the job.

"Bumping" an antigrav platform to below 1000m altitude will have the potential to make it crash, without the "attackers" needing to fire a single shot. So the whole intended design of combat (knocking out the Pulsors) will be circumvented.

The solution is as simple and cheesy as the "bumping" tactic: make antigrav platforms immune to bumping ! :D

8 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Sure, but no amount of "alignment bumping" will damage the target. You still need to bring tacklers and enough firepower to do the job.

"Bumping" an antigrav platform to below 1000m altitude will have the potential to make it crash, without the "attackers" needing to fire a single shot. So the whole intended design of combat (knocking out the Pulsors) will be circumvented.

The solution is as simple and cheesy as the "bumping" tactic: make antigrav platforms immune to bumping ! :D

I've got no qualms with having an antigrav platform immune to bumping IF it is not moving - remember those platforms can be massive ships too, and such a hard and fast "cant be bumped cause i got my antigrav engines on' wouldnt be fair either - hence it cant be moving, and if it is moving then it is able to be bumped and potentially have it crash to the ground. ;)

6 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

I've got no qualms with having an antigrav platform immune to bumping IF it is not moving - remember those platforms can be massive ships too, and such a hard and fast "cant be bumped cause i got my antigrav engines on' wouldnt be fair either - hence it cant be moving, and if it is moving then it is able to be bumped and potentially have it crash to the ground. ;)

Tbh, the whole "bumping" thing may be a storm in a teacup.

Antigrav's are not intended to be the only propulsion for a ship. They are a temporary "high altitude hover engine", expensive to operate, but still cheaper and easier than getting the same effect via vertical atmo engines. So dropping below 1000m will at most be an irritant for the average dreadnought using antigrav's, because the ship's main engines will kick-in once the antigrav switches off.

3 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Tbh, the whole "bumping" thing may be a storm in a teacup.

Antigrav's are not intended to be the only propulsion for a ship. They are a temporary "high altitude hover engine", expensive to operate, but still cheaper and easier than getting the same effect via vertical atmo engines. So dropping below 1000m will at most be an irritant for the average dreadnought using antigrav's, because the ship's main engines will kick-in once the antigrav switches off.

Thats if the crew is paying attention, as, unless its scripted, the main engines wont auto fire up......, so yea, not that irrelevant ;)

Its just added game play ;)

Just remember it may not be a ship.... could be a platform who's main engines may no longer have the ooomppfff needed to keep it in orbit ?