Nuclear Weapons and Player Experience

0something0

Nukes are a bit too powerful and honestly would require a heck of a lot of coding.

Thermobaric weapons, on the other hand, would be nice. Requires oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere, so ineffective in high atmosphere or water, but the largest constructed RL are in the micro-nuke range. 40-50 tons of TNT. 

That is if we will have explosive weapons at all?

• 5 months later...
On 11/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, 0something0 said:

To everyone saying nukes will get ruin the game:

"In MMOs, there's one true universal principle: the strong lives, the weak adapts.

When everyone's ships are getting [nuked], I'll be sure to be a [nuker]."

To everyone who's saying that nukes won't ruin the game:

"In MMOs, there's one true universal principle, have fun playing the game.
When everyone's playing the game without ruining the fun of other people, I'll be sure to play it my own way."

..... Your point? Your subjective opinion over what the game should play like has zero weight since it's what it is. Subjective.

What do we want? Nukes When do we want them? Now :)

Well, nothing wrong with adding nukes, but there should be a counter measure to them, so with adding offence a defensive measure should also be introduced.

Remember the 12 Colonies? it took about 12 minutes to kill billions. DU will be nothing different without proper countermeasures. But yes please add them :)

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 5:22 AM, 0something0 said:

Likewise, why shouldn't nukes be "valid gameplay"? 

Ppl have a passion for nukes! 

But matter antimatter reations are much more powerfull.

And maybe we could have a black hole gun that would remove entire systems from game. 

Now think of an impact of an entire system being destroyed with a single shot. 

That would be a valid tactic. For sure would kill the enemy. 

But at what cost? 

What would happen to the 10000 players living in that system? Rage quit? 

What would happen to the planets and its resources? 

For what? So 1 single guy would have some fun for 10 secs? 

How great the game would be with this in? 

Nukes and other WMDs would not take down an entire system but would still create allot of colateral damage and would be the fun of 1 over the sadness of 100.

So i agree that DU should not have any WMD. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 12:58 AM, joaocordeiro said:

Ppl have a passion for nukes! 

But matter antimatter reations are much more powerfull.

And maybe we could have a black hole gun that would remove entire systems from game. 

Now think of an impact of an entire system being destroyed with a single shot. 

That would be a valid tactic. For sure would kill the enemy. 

But at what cost? 

What would happen to the 10000 players living in that system? Rage quit? 

What would happen to the planets and its resources? 

For what? So 1 single guy would have some fun for 10 secs? 

How great the game would be with this in? 

Nukes and other WMDs would not take down an entire system but would still create allot of colateral damage and would be the fun of 1 over the sadness of 100.

So i agree that DU should not have any WMD. 

Well since you necro'ed this I would love to take a bite on this topic. 

First I fight it amusing that 90% of the people in this forum is thinking of cities just because the dev's said you can build it. If we get towns it would be impressive and using logic if you have a city you obviously have the resources to defend it. So it being unfair is laughable as the amount of Eve players on this forum I am sure the power blocs super cap dropping is "unfair" but we deal with it and move on. If you are going to have tactical nukes to nukes in general there are serious factors one has to address:

1. What is the cost of developing said nuke? Everyone here acts like it is going to be easy and Eve players they forget that super caps only proliferated thanks to poor ccp game design decisions. Prior to when ever they went of control it was pretty expensive and some of the Eve players can help me as my memory is a bit hazy.  
  2. Is it viable to deploy? If we are using a nuke and investing a ton of resources into developing it, but it requires a capital ship platform to launch it. Well you just screwed your alliance out of a fleet of battleships with the poor resource allocation and in my view this game is going to be even more punishing. 
  3. So we have the resources and it is viable to use, but then we forget about espionage factors. What is preventing an organization launching a small raid on said production facility. What is also preventing the weapon itself being sabotaged? What are the risks of getting awoxed? Or stolen?
  4. Finally we have the resources to make it, it is viable to deploy as we have the platform, and the people producing this is trustworthy. But then we forget the most important word, "meta". Is it going to be viable to make one nuke over other ships or projects?

I fail to see these large massive space capital fleet battles people keep talking about for DU, when it is going to take at least a 100 players to man a capital ship and you still need support ships. With the current info this game is going to be skewed to quality over quantity in the sense that small gang pvp is the norm and not the outlier (depending on game design decisions that foster this or snuff it out).