EVE Invasion

Lulichika

10 hours ago, Cal Rouvenor said:

One huge difference between Eve and DU is the universe's endlessness!

But what actually matters is how much of the universe can be feasibly reached. At the early stages of the game, the playable area will essentially be limited to near-Alioth space. As technology apporaches interplanetary flight, the playable area will suddenly jump into the whole solar system. The same will happen with nearby solar systems.

If DU stays a niche game (like EVE online or 2b2t), the amount of fights will decrease over time as population density decrease but if we get a widespread game, there probably will be lots of warfare AND piracy, until the playerbase plateus.

What's EVE?

I know only of DU.

If DU stays a niche game (like EVE online or 2b2t), the amount of fights will decrease over time as population density decrease but if we get a widespread game, there probably will be lots of warfare AND piracy, until the playerbase plateus.

Well, seriously - that's up to the community, not NovaQuark.

I'll say that again. What happens with DU, EVE or no EVE, depends on the community.

This game is persistent. IF we, as the Alpha and Beta Vanguards, and then first citizens (ie the 33,000 people signed up, and the forum lurkers etc) MANAGE OUR BUILDING AND GROWTH SUSTAINABLY (I felt that was important enough to all cap) and not all run off the explore the entire galaxy as soon as possible, and actually turn Alioth and surrounds into a really busy and active place which sees expansion beyond the system driven by population or resource pressures, AND we can keep Alioth as essentially the centre of civilisation where all commerce eventually flows, than this game can conceivably grow to a potentially unlimited, RP1 style playerbase because ANY game you have ever played, ANY setting (*within reason and your mileage may vary based on the ability of Voxelmancers and Lualocks) will be able to be conceivably be created over time.

Literally - this game will be what we make it, and it's success will be dependent on what we make.

3 hours ago, Anonymous said:

because ANY game you have ever played, ANY setting (*within reason and your mileage may vary based on the ability of Voxelmancers and Lualocks) will be able to be conceivably be created over time.

Literally - this game will be what we make it, and it's success will be dependent on what we make.

Dunno about that. What you say there is entirely up to NovaQuark and what limitations they decide to impose on the game whether it be for financial reasons, or limitations in engine design or simply the way they've designed their singleshard server technology (in the end it probably all comes down to money like just about anything, oh and probably time as well). Unfortunately like 99% of games out there, there is always a limitation. I know a great many people including myself want to see this game become something mindblowing. Frankly I wish there weren't going to be limitations such as terrain NOT having gravity when it doesn't have enough support, but it's unfortunately going to have to be that way in order for there to be better performance. It's a shame we're still so limited in 2018.

3 hours ago, Anonymous said:

Agree with that, but also it depends greatly on how soon players will reach the limits of 'end game' or just in certain aspects. In other words from people should not feel like they've finished a game and there's nothing new to them from technical perspective. 

9 hours ago, Miamato said:

Agree with that, but also it depends greatly on how soon players will reach the limits of 'end game' or just in certain aspects. In other words from people should not feel like they've finished a game and there's nothing new to them from technical perspective. 

Exactly - there is no "end game". @Jayplaygame is right in that yes, we and NovaQuark, are always going to be limited in terms of making the DU engine etc into something approaching true virtual reality, but in terms of player satisfaction and game sustainability in terms of meeting the needs of a group that is, by its nature, always looking for the next best gaming experience - thats on us.

I like to think of DU as NQ giving us all a game engine and development environment for free - like Unity. And we can do whatever we want with it, within the bounds of our own creativity. The only catch is, we have to do all our builds from inside the engine which is what makes it so fun. THAT is the unique experience of DU - a persistent world with true emergent game play.

It is, afaik, the first time that a game upon Version 1.0 launch is likely to remain stable in terms of developers making "new features" for years and years - just like we don't wake up one morning in RL and find that the laws of physics changed and now we can ignore conservation of energy or something. The devs will be able to focus on making the engine better, more efficient, more powerful, more performant, porting to VR and so on, rather than just sating our lust for "stuff" as players, because WE become the game developers, while NQ are the engineers of the universe...

On 11/11/2018 at 1:19 AM, Anonymous said:

I like to think of DU as NQ giving us all a game engine and development environment for free - like Unity. And we can do whatever we want with it, within the bounds of our own creativity. The only catch is, we have to do all our builds from inside the engine which is what makes it so fun. THAT is the unique experience of DU - a persistent world with true emergent game play.

If you are talking about ingame LUA programming and kind of creations from items set provided by NQ - yes, it's great to have kind of building blocks that allow to create anything. 

But if you think that allowing third-party people to develop their functionality by contributing to game code itself - it won't happen and is not a good idea. Just because it will be a nightmare to verify all that 'players magic code', keep it balanced and optimized for performance. :)

As for VR - I believe game industry is not there yet. Even with few nice games released for VR - currently it's more like proof of concept, because it's too demanding to keep picture nice.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:58 PM, Miamato said:

If you are talking about ingame LUA programming and kind of creations from items set provided by NQ - yes, it's great to have kind of building blocks that allow to create anything. 

But if you think that allowing third-party people to develop their functionality by contributing to game code itself - it won't happen and is not a good idea. Just because it will be a nightmare to verify all that 'players magic code', keep it balanced and optimized for performance. :)

As for VR - I believe game industry is not there yet. Even with few nice games released for VR - currently it's more like proof of concept, because it's too demanding to keep picture nice.

To clarify:

a) Yes I am talking about in game programming.

b) Noooo - certainly not talking about 3rd parties contributing to game code. To me that is a preposterous as (if one believes this sort of thing) God creating all the things, and then you or me "updating the laws of physics" in a bizarre cosmic GitHub commit

c) It isn't, but I suspect VR tech will certainly become of age (not maturity) during the lifespan of the game; and given the things that inspire NQ/JC - is certainly within the realms of where they may want to head one day.

2 hours ago, Anonymous said:

It isn't, but I suspect VR tech will certainly become of age (not maturity) during the lifespan of the game; and given the things that inspire NQ/JC - is certainly within the realms of where they may want to head one day.

If EVE went VR I would go back in a heartbeat.